Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duran Duran, by me, for The Quietus

evilC wrote:
    Oh, and SR - remind us all: What was it that made you originally want to move to London, as a kid, again? ;->
    Hah, yeah, I do mention that one quite often, don't I. One more time won't hurt.

School trip to London to see Julius Caesar at the Barbican. We were let loose around the West End for a few hours in the afternoon. I wandered into the Virgin Megastore and bumped into Martin Fry out of ABC, chatted with him, shook his hand.

This was at the height of my Lexicon Of Love obsession, and the idea that you could walk around London and run into your pop heroes had a profound effect. Even though London was actually fourth on my UCCA form, I fucked off Manchester and Southampton and accepted UCL's offer instead.

(My first choice, Oxford Balliol, fucked me off... but that's another story.)

Comment

My only encounter with Martin Fry was in a nightclub where he trod on my handbag, crushing much of my make up and he didn't even notice. Sob.

There's probably an ABCesque lyric to be had out of that.

I agree with everything Evil C has written, just about. Tis the middle classes and upwards that can and do indulge in scruffiness, on the whole.

Comment

I walked into Shane MacGowan in a Virgin Megastore but I still carried on living in London

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
          If you mean the line from "Judy Is A Punk", it's just copied from "Henry VIII" by Herman's Hermits, which I think is a music hall number.
          Really? "Henry the eighth I am, I am"? I did not know/realise that.

Comment

MsD wrote:
            I agree with everything Evil C has written, just about. Tis the middle classes and upwards that can and do indulge in scruffiness, on the whole.
            To clarify, are you saying that there isn't, on the whole, scruffiness below the middle classes? Or is it that it's the middle classes and upwards who affect it?

Comment

... in urban areas. And in Britain - in Europe that's not necessarily the case at all.

Over here it's completely the other way round. Well dressed people are snotty stuck-up signori and the working classes are all dreadfully dressed, either scruffy as fuck or decked out in godawful spangly gold trainers and dopey purple puffa jackets. The only (working class)people who bother are at the football, and they've swallowed so many of those stupid hollie books that they taken on a bastardised vision of what 'casual' style is, stripping out (weirdly) all the Italian influences in the process.

From having conversations with Spaniards and Germans in language schools I gather that's the attitude over there as well.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                MsD wrote:
                To clarify, are you saying that there isn't, on the whole, scruffiness below the middle classes? Or is it that it's the middle classes and upwards who affect it?
                Yes .. I'm talking about people who think about fashion and the tendency of w/class sharp kids to be immaculate (look at the mods of the 60) and of your stereotypical m/class student or bohemian type who can kind of afford to dress down. If you live/work somewhere shit, there is escape in music and in fancy clothes .. this is obv. a very broad generalisation.

Comment

Er Liquidatore wrote:
                  ... in urban areas. And in Britain - in Europe that's not necessarily the case at all.
                  Europe? Where is that, in Surrey or somewhere?

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                    What have I done wrong now?
                    Your answers are often more prickly than necessary.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                      Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                      What have I done wrong now?
                      Your answers are often more prickly than necessary.
                      You really think so? Well, then I'm sorry.

Comment

No worries. And thanks.

Comment

Er Liquidatore wrote:

Over here it's completely the other way round. Well dressed people are snotty stuck-up signori and the working classes are all dreadfully dressed, either scruffy as fuck or decked out in godawful spangly gold trainers and dopey purple puffa jackets. The only (working class)people who bother are at the football, and they've swallowed so many of those stupid hollie books that they taken on a bastardised vision of what 'casual' style is, stripping out (weirdly) all the Italian influences in the process.

From having conversations with Spaniards and Germans in language schools I gather that's the attitude over there as well.
                          That also tends to be the case in France. Definitely not the case in the US, especially on the west coast.

Comment

It really doesn't matter how you dress it up Duran Duran were hopeless cunts, let's not have any arguments here.

Big Audio Dynamite however?

Comment

I don't think you can make a blanket assessment on BAD as a whole. You kind of have to go album by album.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                I don't think you can make a blanket assessment on BAD as a whole. You kind of have to go album by album.
                                Fair comment, wouldn't have minded catching one of the recent shows but finances etc..

Comment

I can't believe there are people out there who genuinely reckon Big Audio Dynamite were better than Duran Duran, but it's a strange old world and no mistake.

Comment

B.A.D. > Duran Duran > The Clash.

Comment

Something happened between your head and your post there, Harry. There's some

Comment

Pencil cases don't scan very well.

Comment

I've seen BAD live and they were horrific.

Comment

Is that a ham-fisted attempt at another "My wife went to Jamaica" joke?

Comment

Working...
                                            X