The Monkees - That Could Have Been Your Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah cheers Steveeeeeeeee, much appreciated. I was slightly disappointed by how this one came out, really, partly because I was loaded with hay fever and sounded a bit slow and dazed, partly because they used the wrong bit of music for one of the clips ("one of the great solos" was supposed to be the synth break from "Editions Of You" by Roxy Music, rather than whatever they used, which I think may have been a substandard live version of same) but mostly because this subject is something that's really important to me and I don't think I quite nailed it (had a bit on my mind last week).

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
    Just a quick question for Taylor, do you think you'd be able to do an hour of this stuff? It'd be groundbreaking radio if you could have your own weekly show to really expand on the stuff you're producing for Jarvis. One step at a time I guess, but I would really enjoy an hour of your thoughts and opinions late at night.
    Cheers again - I suppose I could do it, but a.) I can't really see anyone at the Beeb going for that, and b.) I'm pretty sure that if I had to come up with an hour's worth of this stuff every single week, I'd have some kind of Spike Milligan-style nervous breakdown. I already smoke too much when I'm writing - upping that to a Spiketastic 100 a day may not be a great idea. Anyway, people tend to find my stuff a bit hard going (or possibly they just think I'm crap), and I can see that, so to be honest I'm not holding my breath. Probably wouldn't be the most popular move BBC6 had ever made. It'd be nice to just relax and play records with maybe a bit of ranting in between, but I think ten minutes of my spiel is as much as anyone can take in one go, and in all honesty the fact that I'm being allowed to do this at all is a surprise.

steveeeeeeeee wrote:
    Final thing, do you produce the whole thing yourself, the production is great, the way songs flow between your musings and the pace of your delivery is really impressive.
    I give them a script annotated with song titles, precise timings and instructions on where to fade in and out, explain to the producer how it's meant to flow, and he goes off and puts it together on superior BBC hardware. So yeah, I "design" the thing but I don't actually push the buttons.

Glad you like it, anyway - don't see much coming out of it in terms of future work, but it's a lot of fun.

Comment

I find it hard going like I find "In Our Time" hard going, but that's what's great about it. Anyone who thinks either are crap has an opinion as worthy as a Daily Mail journalist.

Didn't notice anything wrong with the solo and the one they played proved you point just fine imo.

Comment

So pissed off I missed the compilation when it was thrown up. Sulk.

Comment

Peeeee Emmmmmmm Nishhhhhh.

Comment

Mint. Ta, youth.

Comment

Incidentally, what's your opinion of this? I think it's worth it just for the stack of pianos.

Comment

Never liked it much, really. I remember when I got my hands on a video of it some time in the 90s, never having seen it, and it was pretty depressing. Can't stand Julie Driscoll, for a start.

I reckon "Naked Persimmon" by Mike, at the start of this clip, is the best thing in it, and the Davy Jones nightmare which follows is one of the worst things of any kind of all time ever.

But yeah, the stack of pianos is rock.

Comment

Yeah, Davy didn't really see the 'We want to be seen as serious musicians now' memo, I feel.

Comment

Taylor, I also missed the original comp, having had hard drive issues when you put it up. If it's still out there and no trouble to you...

Comment

Working...
                    X