No announcement yet.

The Potential Loss of BBC 6 Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a bad sign when they start giving themselves nicknames, just look at Lammo.

Comment

Caught some of Laverne's show this morning in the car and there was definitely a different tone to the music (compared to Keaveny), and to the presentation (in fact, there was very little presentation and more letting the music do the, er, talking). However the 7.30 start is a bit jarring, but that's to do with my commuting routine, I leave around 7.15 and I'm used to having the same show on throughout.

Comment

Abbreviations are OK when they make sense but just doing a "wacky" nickname can fuck off. A blatant dumbing down.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          Caught some of Laverne's show this morning in the car and there was definitely a different tone to the music (compared to Keaveny), and to the presentation (in fact, there was very little presentation and more letting the music do the, er, talking). However the 7.30 start is a bit jarring, but that's to do with my commuting routine, I leave around 7.15 and I'm used to having the same show on throughout.
          It's basically exactly what she was playing in her show's previous incarnation.

I'd never heard that California Soul record until about five years ago: now it seems to follow me to the bathroom and back.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
            Last Radmac afternoon show ever. Radcliffe appears from 2:09:00:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001nnm
            Thanks for that, managed to listen to it today and loved it, emphasizing how much I'll miss them on weekday afternoons and consequently won't really bother with R6 any more.

Bored will like the Teatime Themetime, if he's reading the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

It's basically exactly what she was playing in her show's previous incarnation.

I'd never heard that California Soul record until about five years ago: now it seems to follow me to the bathroom and back.
              Her show has usually been a blind spot to me, being (radio free) office bound, though I did know (from this very thread probably) of her fondness for No Diggity so was waiting for that to pop up.

Comment

After one week of this new system:
                MAH plays some pretty decent tunes and mixes it up quite well..but why in the name of shitting crikey does everything have to be "a journey."..with "textures"...with "explorations"?...listen to that bloody advert for her new shows..how "Thom Yorke came into the studio and played for us and spoke into one of our microphones and sat on that chair over there..." in that plaintiff, let's see what's in the round chuffin' window, voice. The tunes are saving her for now.
                Keaveny is virtually unlistenable and spent most of last week wondering what features they may or may not introduce.
                I don't think I've ever listened to 6 Music at 0700 of a Sunday, ever...so Maconie didn't feel quite right for a while and the show suffered too much from a 'feeling like Sunday morning' vibe. I don'expect tracks from Metal Box or Rema Rema B-sides but maybe something a little more stirring wouldn't go amiss.

But - if they ever touch Riley or Coe, it will be a scweam and scweam and scweam job.

Comment

I enjoyed Maconie's Saturday show perhaps because "chilled out" indie is more my preference than the loud indie in the 1-4pm slot* and I also liked the new feature on samples, but I could see how it doesn't really the fulfill the remit of giving you a full spread of the network's musical menu. I also liked that it wasn't interrupted by news on the half-hour.

I also suspect I'm more likely to stay loyal to a programme that only demands 6 hours of my time a week than 15, which gets repetitive.

MAH is obviously an acquired taste. I think I'm just too old for her schtick, which might work for someone in their mid-20s.

*It's also more suitable as background listening while working rather than something that would be your primary activity
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-01-2019, 14:08.

Comment

Radcliffe's return

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002b0h

Comment

Radcliffe and Maconie seemed to be expressing some frustration with the timeslot already on Sunday

Comment

I briefly caught their show last sunday, twas ok but I think moving MAH from that early sunday morning slot was a baaaaad idea. She is a bit of an acquired taste but she did fit that slot perfectly.Well, if your idea of a breakfast dj is some shouty banter knob, probably not...but...

Comment

Agree, her dulcet tones worked for me at that time of a weekend. The music (when not overrun with computerised oldies) was also usually good - often of the Low / Broadcast ambience, which suited me fine.

Keaveny made complete sense (as regards scheduling, at any rate) of a weekday morning, as well. Given that he'd stated he wanted that later start, I'd maybe have placed Radmac into the weekday breakfast slot, rather than weekends.

Comment

I had a shorter drive to work today, coinciding with the first 45 minutes of Lauren Laverne, in which she played both No Diggity and Superstition. Generally it's still a welcome change from the rut that Shaun Keaveney got into, but God she needs to give those songs a rest for a while.

Comment

I haven't listened to the daytime output since the start of the year. Mary Anne Hobbes's schtick has always grated and Lauren Laverne has a weirdly insincere Bates vibe about her. It's all gone a bit dancey for me too. I mean, it hasn't got to be wall-to-wall Lamacq fodder (I turn his show off as soon as it comes on) but it does seem like they're trying to frighten off boring old middle-aged squares like me. I now spend the daytime listening to the previous night's Riley and Coe shows, or Iggy and Radcliffe & Maconie if it's a Monday.

Comment

Maconie was absent this morning so Radmac was much more enjoyable but Radcliffe does seem rather bitter rather than just using sarcasm as a humorous device.

The Eno/Byrne track was amazing so i will definitely check out that album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7Dbm2_MIU

Comment

Latest listening figures:

Another station to reach a new record audience was Kisstory - which attracted 2.32m listeners. As BBC 6 Music dropped to 2.28m this quarter (from 2.52m last quarter and 2.44m last year), Kisstory is now the most popular digital-only station in the UK.

I was going to do another "most played artists" top 10 but the website that was the source of the stats appears to have disappeared. Meanwhile Mark Radcliffe is doing the breakfast slot this week, covering Lauren Laverne.

Comment

Radmac's weekend show had good figures in May but seems not to increased in the August figures. That could be a seasonal thing as I assume figures for weekend mornings would be higher in winter.

Comment

Mark Radcliffe has a new book out this week

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/mark-r...-signed-copies

Comment

Gideon Coe's show is proving itself to be an essential soothe at the end of every manic day, recently. It really is the hidden gem of radio broadcasting.

Comment

I enjoyed Craig Charles' stint in the late afternoon slot over the past weeks. Steve Lamacq's return yesterday had a definite back to school feel about it.

Comment

Lamacq has been phoning it in for years. I can only assume he has a loyal fan base that mistakes his complacency for coolness.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              I enjoyed Craig Charles' stint in the late afternoon slot over the past weeks. Steve Lamacq's return yesterday had a definite back to school feel about it.
                                              Yes, have to say that Charles has been very good indeed.

I quite enjoy his Funk & Soul Show now and again, but the Trunk of Punk section during these afternoon stints came as a welcome and unexpected surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                It gave quite an "up" end to the working day while I've been working from home. Lamacq blends into the background.

Comment

6 Music celebrates its 20th anniversary today. The tweeted the original weekday line up last night:

/https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/1502004109360066569?t=6_2ZzgryIUGkCy1TABskuQ&s=19

Charles and Hawkins still there now and in enhanced slots; Coe and Robinson still there but in lower profile slots.

Comment

And, fact fans, this is the Top 50 of all time most played songs on 6 Music according to last.fm:

1 Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above - CSS
                                                    2 Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
                                                    3 Spinning Rock Boogie - Hank C. Burnette
                                                    4 Debaser - Pixies
                                                    5 A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
                                                    6 Move On Up - Curtis Mayfield
                                                    7 Time to Pretend - MGMT
                                                    8 Kids - MGMT
                                                    9 Waking Up - Elastica
                                                    10 Glory Box - Portishead
                                                    11 Daft Punk Is Playing at My House - LCD Soundsystem
                                                    12 Cars - Gary Numan
                                                    13 Virginia Plain - Roxy Music
                                                    14 Over and Over - Hot Chip
                                                    15 Jump in the Pool - Friendly Fires
                                                    16 Paper Planes - M.I.A.
                                                    17 Pull Up To The Bumper - Grace Jones
                                                    18 Zero - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
                                                    19 Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads
                                                    20 Here Comes Your Man - Pixies
                                                    21 1234 - Feist
                                                    22 The Killing Moon - Echo & the Bunnymen
                                                    23 I Feel Love - Donna Summer
                                                    24 Connection - Elastica
                                                    25 Echo Beach - Martha and the Muffins
                                                    26 Daniel - Bat for Lashes
                                                    27 What Do I Get? - Buzzcocks
                                                    28 Police and Thieves - Junior Murvin
                                                    29 Voodoo Ray - A Guy Called Gerald
                                                    30 Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
                                                    31 My Girls - Animal Collective
                                                    32 Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
                                                    33 Young Folks - Peter Bjorn and John
                                                    34 Marquee Moon - Television
                                                    35 Crash - The Primitives
                                                    36 One Nation Under a Groove - Funkadelic
                                                    37 Whip It - Devo
                                                    38 Bruises - Chairlift
                                                    39 Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat
                                                    40 Babies - Pulp
                                                    41 The Model - Kraftwerk
                                                    42 World Shut Your Mouth - Julian Cope
                                                    43 Rip It Up - Orange Juice
                                                    44 Race for the Prize - The Flaming Lips
                                                    45 Sparky's Dream - Teenage Fanclub
                                                    46 Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie and the Banshees
                                                    47 Boyfriend - Best Coast
                                                    48 Da Funk - Daft Punk
                                                    49 Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear
                                                    50 Buffalo Stance - Neneh Cherry

Comment

Working...
                                                    X