Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doherty booed offstage for singing Nazi anthem

Knob In 'Acting The Knob' Shock

Chief prosecutor Barbara Stockinger told the Bavarian newspaper TZ that they were examining Doherty’s performance closely, but were not currently treating it as a crime.
    I wish I could say the same about his show at the Brighton Dome, etc...

Well, "Nazi anthem" is pushing it. I'd assumed it must have been the Horst Wessel song or something.

Comment

Sure he wasn't just booed off stage for being a cunt?

Comment

Hold the front page. He actually made it on stage?

Quite apt he should sing it in Munich.

Comment

Sinister government agents couldn't have planted a better dummy in the 'bohemian pied piper for a generation' role, could they.

Comment

Doherty gives junkies a bad name. He's the type of wanker who sieg heils all Germans he meets, believing that Basil Fawlty really stuck it to the Kraut.

Comment

Hold on what are the germans upset about. if they didn't like the old anthem, they shouldn't still sing it. I mean it's not as though anyone has noticed or thinks it relevant that they're singing a different verse. I thought that that was the german national anthem. I mean it's the same fucking song.

If we were to switch from singing the chorus of our national anthem, to one of the verses, it wouldn't be a different anthem, but it would sound like much more of a departure than what the germans did.

Comment

That is an excellent point.

Comment

There has to be a big chance that he thought he was just singing the german national anthem. I mean I did. when ireland played france the other week loads of people were singing along with the marseilleise. If we were playing the germans and feeling particularly expansive we might sing along with their national anthem too, and I know what couple of words people would be singing.

So come on germany, it's not like you have a shortage of lads throughout history who were totally deadly at writing music. It doesn't have to be Haydn.

Comment

Comment

G.Man wants a hyphen wrote:
                      Doherty gives junkies a bad name. He's the type of wanker who sieg heils all Germans he meets, believing that Basil Fawlty really stuck it to the Kraut.
                      Didn't Doherty quite recently do an anti-BNP song? I would be amazed if he is a racist. He probably failed to do his research thoroughly in this instance, which may be related to being a junkie. Don't be too hard on him G-Man.

Comment

Didn't his spokesperson say that he had no idea that the anthem didn't start like that, and was trying to be nice?

Comment

I am genuinely surprised that there are educated people who didn't realise that Germany dropped the first verse. So maybe Doherty committed just a faux pas. Certainly not enough to prosecute him for, unless his rendition was accompanied by a raised right arm.

But the number of times English people, even those not especially xenophobic, have made Nazi gags upon learning that I'm German, and the hysteria in the English media whenever England play Germany in football, contributed to a certain sensitivity on my part.

Kubelgog, Germans love the anthem. It was a song of freedom in the 19th century, and to drop it after WW2 would have associated the anthem with Nazism. It's the words of the first (and third) verse that were the problem. It was inappropriately chauvinistic, promoted imperial expansionism, and was geographically incorrect. And, of course, the first verse was tainted by the Nazis. It needed to go.

Comment

I'd assumed it started that way too, but then I don't listen to or care about nationals anthems. I'd be surprised if many Brits knew otherwise, to be honest.

Comment

I am genuinely surprised that there are educated people who didn't realise that Germany dropped the first verse.

why? If you don't speak german it's kind of hard to notice. I find it hard to get my head around not getting rid of the anthem after the second world war on sentimental grounds either, as it's not as though pre-war german nationalism was anything to be proud of either. It mostly seems to consist of a bunch of prussians going around kicking everyone in the balls with steel toe capped boots and grinding their neighbours faces in the mud. There's very little to be proud of in pre-war german history.

Comment

I didn't particularly expect that people would notice the different words before international football games; more that the dropping of the first verse was common knowledge, alongside the illegality of Holocaust denial.

I take it you missed the day they covered the Weimar Republic at school, Kubelgog. In any case, the ditty the Prussians you speak off sang to celebrate grinding their neighbours' faces in the mud was not the Deutschlandlied but the one we know better today as God Save The Queen.

Comment

It's not really common knowledge in the UK, G-Man, certainly not on a par with the illegality of holocaust denial. I can't speak for Ireland, but in England you wouldn't have heard of the Weimar Republic if all you'd paid attention to was school, either.

Having said that, I'm sure Doherty would be well aware of the implications. The only place anyone hears national anthems is at sport . . . what do you people call them, events? And he's a football fan. Not only that, but the kind who gets involved in various left-leaning causes. Unfortunately, he's also a complete stroker.

Comment

It's not really common knowledge in the UK, G-Man, certainly not on a par with the illegality of holocaust denial.
                                    I'm really surprised at that. Did British people not wonder why Germans were singing an anthem that they surely associate with the Third Reich? Did nobody ever ask?

Comment

Lucia Lanigan wrote:
                                      but in England you wouldn't have heard of the Weimar Republic if all you'd paid attention to was school, either.
                                      That ain't necessarily so.

Comment

Yeah G-Man, I used to think "blimey, they still sing the same anthem as they did with the Nazis". And the I was told about verses, and I thought "well that's still pretty weird".

Comment

Well I'm about the same age as Doherty and the first time I heard it mentioned was in connection to Lou Reed reissues, GO.

I doubt anyone here thinks for long about national anthems, to be honest, G-Man. I mean, you or I, with our mature, informed heads on, might consider the historical implications, but for most people they're just some nonsense you hear crowds fluffing while you're waiting for the gang with the white outfits to kick the "foot ball" around against the troupe with the red outfits in the hope of scoring an "goal".

Remember that nationalism, national identity and the colonial past have in recent history been fairly discreet concerns in public life over here. You might get an annual fuss about the BNP or whatever, but - and this is certainly one of the perks of British life - these things barely ever come up in your daily life. Racism does, but that's not usually about national identity so much as, well, racism. Perhaps there's just a different perspective when the country you live in was never under Nazi rule and doesn't have Apartheid in its recent history.

Having said that, I would like to reiterate that Doherty is an utter cockfarmer. Mainly because he's so bad at music and witticisms, but also cause of this.

Comment

Thanks, LL, for putting some perspective on this. It may also help explain the strange mania that grips the English tabloids when England play Germany. Perhaps all they mean is do is to joke about rather than to offend (again, thinking that Basil Fawlty was sticking it to the Germans). Like Germans will say: "Ha ha, yes, ve hef no sense of humour, but ze Nazi past is rilly very funny, ja."

Of course, I know that many English people are appalled by that.

I wonder how the German anthem thing is seen in other European countries? Did the banning of the first verse also slip under the radar there?

Comment

Judge David Radford said Doherty had an "appalling record"

Comment

Just the one?

Comment

Right, well I'm a little drunk, but singing "Germany, Germany over everything" isn't that unpleasant a sentiment anyway as far as patriotic anthems go anyway is it?

I mean ,I know historical context matters, and there's some degree of difference, but it's not a whole lot worse than something like "and it's Middlesbrough, Middlesbrough FC, we're the finest football team, the world has ever seen" is it? I've sung that, but not really meant it. I mean someone who really meant either would be a bit of a tit (and your man PD certainly seems to be), but it's fairly innocous otherwise, surely?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X