No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh OK. One of those solve these things and *then* do an anagram clues. Are there any commonly available crosswords where that is acceptable practice? I'm only familiar with the Guardian (and some years ago, the New Statesman) crosswords, where you would never find that kind of solution within a solution clueing

Comment

I've seen things like 'heads must roll' which means 'anagram of the first letters' but that's always felt clear to me. I have to say I'm still a bit at sea on this one even after the explanation...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
        I've seen things like 'heads must roll' which means 'anagram of the first letters' but that's always felt clear to me. I have to say I'm still a bit at sea on this one even after the explanation...
        It's an anagram of COULDACTA + R (for "right") + UN (which is "one in Nice" - where Nice is the town in France, not mild approval or a kind of biscuit)

Comment

ad hoc do you feel it is materially different from e.g. the following clue from Qaos in the Guardian? Genuine question - I wouldn't want to set something people find unfair.
          27 DOLPHIN No good holding stew containing pea, say, one in a pod? (7)
          a group of dolphins is called a pod
          anagram/"stew" of (holdin-g)* minus the 'g' for "good", and around P="pea, say"

Comment

For me the degree of difficulty in realising "no good" means removing g from holding and then anagramming it is much lower than solving the french for one correctly and then realising that it needs to be included as part of an anagram.
            That being said, in both cases I'd have been trying to parse it based on what I'm assuming the answer to be rather than getting the answer straight from the parsing (hopefully that difference makes sense).
            Last edited by S. aureus; 08-05-2022, 19:32.

Comment

What Count Dracula would see in the mirror, when out of sorts? (3,7)
              Thought this must have been solved what with all the postings after it. Anyway, I hope the clue not too abstract (or just plain flawed). If no one gets it today then I can easily change it. In the meantime here is a prompt

N - - / - - M - - - -

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
                ad hoc do you feel it is materially different from e.g. the following clue from Qaos in the Guardian? Genuine question - I wouldn't want to set something people find unfair.
                27 DOLPHIN No good holding stew containing pea, say, one in a pod? (7)
                a group of dolphins is called a pod
                anagram/"stew" of (holdin-g)* minus the 'g' for "good", and around P="pea, say"
                I don;t really like that clue either, it's a bit needlessly complex, but I think it involves less "do this, then do this, and then when you've done that do this" than yours did. I am genuinely interested to know if others felt the same, or they were OK with it. Maybe I've just led a sheltered life with my cryptic clues and this kind of complexity is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

I don't really mind how a clue is constructed as long as it is explainable, but this kind of two-tier solve is generally beyond my limited ability, I used to query most of the solutions I can't follow, but I usually don't bother now. That's more a reflection of my casual interest in the thread than any kind of criticism of any of the more complex clue-setters

The great thing about this thread though is the variety of styles

Comment

Don’t know if anybody is even looking at solving this, so I’ll just simplify the clue and walk away.

What Count Dracula would not see in the mirror (7)

- - M - - - F

Comment

Originally posted by Granthamian View Post
                      Don’t know if anybody is even looking at solving this, so I’ll just simplify the clue and walk away.

What Count Dracula would not see in the mirror (7)

- - M - - - F
                      nice one Granthamian, and the original works well I think. I couldn't figure it out, but the answer was hidden in plain sight I reckon. Anyway........

The Belgian is not himself (7)

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

nice one Granthamian, and the original works well I think. I couldn't figure it out, but the answer was hidden in plain sight I reckon. Anyway........

Yes I agree with this

Comment

Setback in Flemish apparently (6)

Comment

Ugly mishap around second hole, won finally (9)

Comment

_ _ _ S _ _ _ _ _

Comment

_ _ _ S _ _ P _ _

Comment

I rejected misshapen biscuits drawn by avant-garde painters (7)

Comment

After the Cubists, Picasso was discontented with role (3,3)

Comment

Pop art is any low hard mess (4,6)

Comment

David Bowie and Andy Warhol hang out? That is A-OK (5,4)

Comment

That's... a masterpiece, RC.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

That's... a masterpiece, RC.
                                            Yes agreed

Comment

Thirded

Comment

Why thank you kind sirs

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                  David Bowie and Andy Warhol hang out? That is A-OK (5,4)
                                                  Strange border revolt heard on Hunky Dory​​​ (6,6)

Comment

Trevor Bolder wrote about Caribbean emancipator (2,6,4)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X