• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
    (Ok folks -

Private Eye again

_ R _ W _ E _

Like Brenda, on occasion, boasted about "one's focus"?

Had to cheat on the internets to get that one - would never have got it

Boo!)

​​​
    CROWNED I presume
    Like Brenda is the definition. Boasted = CROWED, one's focus is presumable N (because N is the central letter of ONE)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

CROWNED I presume
      Like Brenda is the definition. Boasted = CROWED, one's focus is presumable N (because N is the central letter of ONE)
      Aye
      yeah, I had meant to include the solution, and once I saw it I twigged, but I really was all at sea with it

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
        Going on vacation? Sounds like you might need one of these for the ride. (5)
        _ _ R _ E

Comment

Guess on the solution

Concern about horse before the slaughter (7)

Comment

Correct solution. I thought IT's explanation of vacation above might have made it a bit too easy but obviously not. (Gee-gee)

Comment

Correct solution. I thought IT's explanation of vacation above might have made it a bit too easy but obviously not. (Gee-gee)
              Ah. I would never have got that. Partly because I had never heard about this cryptic use of vacation until IT mentioned it and it's going to take a while before I internalise it, and partly because the "on" seems to get in the way a bit - isn't "going on vacation" gn?

Comment

Concern about horse before the slaughter (7)
                _ _ _ N _ _ _

Comment

NY carnage an awful presidential partner (5,6)

Comment

isn't "going on vacation" gn?
                    That can work fine to give GG, I'd say, if you parse 'on vacation' to mean 'having been vacated.'

It was a good clue once the workings were set out, though not the gimme that RC had imagined.

Comment

Dissecting Nancy Reagan, sir? Our famous unfinished movie (5,2,5,5)

Comment

_ _ _ R _ / _ _ / _ G _ _ _ / _ _ R _ _

Comment

Cast of Carry On Again Nurse included a swarthy lecher apparently (7,7)

Comment

Charles Hawtrey star? I can sing a closing Lilac (7)

Comment

In Syringa the rings of the tree form bands (10)

Comment

Inappropriate gatherings eh? A lost piece of lingerie (1,6)

Comment

Amazing that a g string for example, can get tangled (10)

Comment

Staggering genuine potential of novelty pop band (10,6)

Comment

Ejaculate over love discharge, producing Lieutenant Pigeon (8)

Comment

Bit of a guess this

The Poles add Columbae to the mix for something to eat (10)

Comment

Some consumable material returned by Australian soprano (5)

Comment

Bit of a guess this

The Poles add Columbae to the mix for something to eat (10)
                                            No this wasn't correct

Comment

A further clue please ad hoc ?

Comment

No this wasn't correct
                                                You do know if someone had gone with Melba we would have been honour bound to continue with that?

Comment

Don't tease him or well never get the solution

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                                    A further clue please ad hoc ?
                                                    I could send you one

Comment

Working...
                                                    X