Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

Admittedly tricksy with urban -> CITY, and wild-life anagramming to FELI. La Kendal played Rosemary Boxer in Rosemary & Thyme.
    Yeah, the Boxer bit defeated me. Once DG got the answer I googled Felicity Kendal and Boxer and discovered the series you mention.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Is it often that the very answer acts as a standalone clue?
      No Senor, just occasionally. But sin novedad en el frente etc

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Is it often that the very answer acts as a standalone clue?
        About as often as DG decides 'some other word' will suffice as an anagram indicator.

Comment

Or that IT unearths some crap telly no one else watched

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            I googled Felicity Kendal and Boxer
            Did that return any results for her famous light-welterweight clash with Lesley Judd?

Comment

. R . . / . . . . R . .

Comment

Without tooting my own horn, I figured the answer out ages ago, but now I think I've finally come up with a clue that works... hopefully

Flower in Gran Canaria, not without end (9)

Comment

...in which case I've unfairly impugned DG, and his return of fire was warranted. 'Isle of Dogs?' is a fine clue and I was, um, barking up the wrong tree.

(The point might still stand for 'Good Life', mind.)

Comment

Thanks irony towers (and woof )

I think 'file' as a clue for [GOOD] LIFE is fair, if not the most elegant. As I often say on this thread, if a clue offers surface reading and is easily solved despite that inelegance, then fairness can be stretched...

Ps question mark following a clue (particularly a short one) conventionally suggests solution is a pun
                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 01-10-2021, 06:32.

Comment

Carnation = MLK (9,4)

​​​​​​

Comment

Skimmed milk source process if NUC greet...(10)

Comment

I bet it's not skimmed. Not least because that's only 7 letters

Comment

Whoops. Apologies, well spotted.

So not Evaporated either...

Comment

Is that the correct answer Duncan Gardner? WFD said it was (9,4) but your answer has no nine letter words!
                              Last edited by lambers; 01-10-2021, 10:17. Reason: Too slow!

Comment

lambers I've withdrawn my answer as you and ad hoc have both noticed that it's wrong

Comment

Evaporated X
                                  Skimmed X

Comment

Normally on this thread I'm beaten to the punch in recognising an answer or devising a question. This time ad hoc beat me on counting letters!

Comment

I'm as stumped at getting a clue out of this one as I was on the Gran Canaria one.

Comment

Condensed milk, Roy? It makes you feel like you can't move (6-2, 8)

Comment

Locked-In Syndrome impacting person in mint (12)

Comment

Place of imprisonment blames HR mismanagement (8)

Comment

Among those detained in Belmarsh are war ex-combatants getting trials online (9)

Comment

Capital extract from shareware (6)

Comment

Harare Les would like some practice (9)

Comment

Rehearsal essential in circuit-training? (3,3)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X