No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dainty Rico edited Hobson-Jobson glossary of Anglo-Indian words? (10)

Comment

_ _ _ T _ _ _ _ _ _

Comment

I hope I've not painted this thread into a corner here…

Comment

Lethargic creature let the short version prevail over authoritative dictionary (5-4,5)

Comment

Could be three toed sloth rival? Oof! Man down...(8)

Comment

Help?

Comment

I've seen it now. If 'Man down' is doing what I think it's intended to do in the clue, I'm struggling to think of a precedent.

Either DG is the nom de guerre of David Attenborough or this is a Wiki-job.

Comment

I've met DG and the resemblance between him and David Attenborough is minimal

Comment

Anyone throwing us a bone here?

Comment

F . L . V . R .

Apologies for delay in reply. I haven't been on this site generally much for a while, so wont set any more until that changes.

irony towers every precedent has to start somewhere, but if the panel agrees this one was a bit pants thats fine . There is a general and accepted precedent here that obscure solutions are fine if they have a Wikipedia page

ad hoc I'm more Dickie A than David, so don't get lairy or I'll send round the Chelsea headhunters and some of Pinky's mates
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 17-08-2021, 16:54.

Comment

I don't get the man down a/e bit

Also, I hardly see the lack of Attenborough-ness as insulting. He's a lot older than you for a start

Comment

down = anagram indicator
                          (man) = clearly failed attempt at more elegant surface reading

Comment

Money explained to folivore? (4,2,4)

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              down = anagram indicator
                              Ah thank you, but the anagram doesn't quite work (there's an e in folivore but it's an a in rival oof)

Comment

FOLIVORA

Comment

Ah, I hadn't encountered that word. My clue needs to be removed then and replaced with another

Comment

OK try this

O tell folivora about money (4,2,3,4)

Comment

At least we've (I've) got "folivore" as word of the day

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                        down = anagram indicator
                                        "Knocked out" might have worked there, preserving the sense you wanted for the surface.

Occasionally I've seen 'up' as an anagram indicator; 'down' usually implies direction rather than a jumble, I'd say.

Comment

Take note: root of all evil is 1980s Huddersfield midfielder (4,6)

(Misquote klaxon: "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil"

Comment

I was quoting Horace Andy

Comment

But when does the misquote klaxon get silenced when a phrase or epigram has been mangled into cromulent parlance?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                I was quoting Horace Andy
                                                I didn't know IT's name was "Andy"…

Comment

Thanks to ad hoc I've learnt that Horace Andy is a reggae artist who recorded Money, the Root of All Evil

Back to the clue:

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                                                    Thanks to ad hoc I've learnt that Horace Andy is a reggae artist who recorded Money, the Root of All Evil

Back to the clue:

And now thanks to you two, so have I

Comment

Working...
                                                    X