Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
    Yes, I anticipated it would trigger the klaxon. The definition is there if the clue is read in the way indicated, though I accept that won't satisfy everyone.

It would certainly have been clunkier to include a (further) definition of ibuprofen, and I would hope we don't need to take our fun too seriously on this thread.
    I'm sorry but the definition isn't there. It;'s fine not to take fun too seriously but it's important to know we're playing the same game .

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Ibuprofen is an anagram of "fun rob pie"
      Also it is a "pill for migraine" which sounds like "pilfer my grain"

I don't think it works as a clue as the definition bit has been made cryptic itself
      only if you can't pronounce "migraine"...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

only if you can't pronounce "migraine"...
        Well that's another problem- the OED gives three different possible pronunciations

Pronunciation:
        Brit. /ˈmiːɡreɪn/
        /ˈmʌɪɡreɪn/
        U.S. /ˈmaɪˌɡreɪn/

Comment

(Hence the wording "...some might say")

Fair points, well made. I'd say that from time to time most of us have taken the chance to experiment with conventions, particularly when there's the feeling that you might be beaten to the line if you spend too long refining the clue. I gambled and it didn't come off, although I shouldn't have thought the solution was too fiendishly concealed.

Comment

Fair enough. Always good to try things out, as long as ,when people say "i don't think it worked " to hold your hand up eventually. It is a game - but that means the people we're playing with have to enjoy it too. I fucked up recently with Agnelli...

As I said I think a cryptic sound-alike definition with several pronunciations was a step too far. Anyway where were we...?

oh yes

Foreboding secures significant uncut style .

(10)
            Last edited by Nefertiti2; 28-03-2019, 22:34.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
              (Hence the wording "...some might say")

Fair points, well made. I'd say that from time to time most of us have taken the chance to experiment with conventions, particularly when there's the feeling that you might be beaten to the line if you spend too long refining the clue. I gambled and it didn't come off, although I shouldn't have thought the solution was too fiendishly concealed.
              The William Webb Ellis of the cryptic crossword thread

Comment

In Jamaica, dreadlocks reveal well trained group of revolutionaries (5)

Comment

fwiw I thought ibuprofen worked well enough (I'd pronounce migraine 'my grain' though, so perhaps that makes it a more satisfying solution for me). I wouldn't have thought there were really any conventions on here for clue creation.... unless there's some sort of 'style guide' it's up the individual to craft a fair and solvable clue. Lots of the clues are way too difficult for me but the joy of the thread, imo, is in not having one particular style/convention

Comment

Gormless Cadre taken in by fake Hitler diaries (5)

Comment

I egged gorier replacement for Paul Dacre (7, 5)

Comment

A Geordie Gregg regime eventually goads angry Telegraph Englanders to start 'Final Result' (9)

Comment

State "sounds like a sneeze" and then stiffens by the sound of it, on aggregate (13)

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                            A Geordie Gregg regime eventually goads angry Telegraph Englanders to start 'Final Result' (9)
                            Greig, isn't it?

But no matter.

Comment

GP: my mistake, apologies

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                fwiw I thought ibuprofen worked well enough (I'd pronounce migraine 'my grain' though, so perhaps that makes it a more satisfying solution for me). I wouldn't have thought there were really any conventions on here for clue creation.... unless there's some sort of 'style guide' it's up the individual to craft a fair and solvable clue. Lots of the clues are way too difficult for me but the joy of the thread, imo, is in not having one particular style/convention
                                There have been heuristics drawn up through debate. -
                                • the word should be clued cryptically and defined not cryptically though the definition can be "hidden" through double meaning etc.
                                • The anagram indicator should be directly next to the word(s) that form the anagram
                                • the solution should be exactly as it appeared in the previous clue (bit contentious, this one)

Comment

With one or two exceptions, none of us do this professionally.

I certain degree of latitude is allowed in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    State "sounds like a sneeze" and then stiffens by the sound of it, on aggregate (13)
                                    _ _ _ S _ _ H _ _ _ _ T _

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                      With one or two exceptions, none of us do this professionally.

I certain degree of latitude is allowed in this forum.
                                      Most people don't play football professionally, but the game still depends on agreeing the rules, (and local variations where necessary).

Comment

Then let us agree to differ.

Comment

_ _ _ S _ _ H _ S _ _ T _

Comment

Might be easier as

State (on aggregate) "sounds like a sneeze" and then stiffens by the sound of it (13)

Comment

Leave car at Massachusetts landmark and follow path to Cambridge area. (6,4)
                                              Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 01-04-2019, 17:23.

Comment

_ _ _ _ A _ / _ _ _ _

Comment

_ _ _ _ A _ / _ _ R _

Comment

F _ _ _ A _ / _ _ R _

Comment

Working...
                                                    X