Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Strength of rural South-east produced pub rockers (3,10,4)

And for your bonus

2 Hire filmmaker, working with solver (3,1,4,2,8)

3 Dance in misspelt (4,3,6)

4 Madame Signora (8,6)

5 TV channel meeting log (4,7)

Solutions are linked

Comment

Slobs have strength and cunning? Yeah, right! (4,5,3)

Comment

Arse.

Comment

The only thing that seems to fit is the name of a band followed by a number. The band concerned also fits with my answer to the first bonus clue, which I'm pretty sure about. But "the name of a band followed by a number" doesn't to correspond to anything.

Comment

Yeah, I also got the name of a band followed by a number when I tried to unstrangle it, but googling didn't return anything for the phrase in question so I assumed it wasn't that.

Comment

Ha, I shall leave my Freudian typo in place.

Comment

Well, I suppose there's the Roman numeral on the cover of their debut long-player.

I think I'm about to make the most pedantic point in the history of otf: the letter count for Clue 2 should be ((3,1) 4 (2,8)). There, I've said it.

Comment

And number 3 should be (4,1,6), which would also require a different clue.

Comment

Well, I suppose there's the Roman numeral on the cover of their debut long-player.
                    Well if it's the name of the album that's required then that would mean the definition in the clue wouldn't fit.

Comment

Ha ha. The cigar to Andy C.

The number appears on the debut album cover, so I think we can assume it referred the (then) full name of the band.

Comment

Andy C wrote:

I think I'm about to make the most pedantic point in the history of otf: the letter count for Clue 2 should be ((3,1) 4 (2,8)). There, I've said it.
                        I was going to make the same point, but refrained because I couldn't decide where there should be commas. Which is the most pedantic reason not to make a point in the history of otf.

Comment

Some Bloke Off The Internet says:

No this wasn't The Stranglers fourth album, but their debut. Tagging it IV was their playful way of causing confusion on its release.
                          I regard him as authoritative. That, and I'd forgotten that Rattus Norvegicus had an IV on it.

Comment

To continue the pedantry, "The Stranglers Four" returns no Google results, while ""The Stranglers IV" returns only references to the album - there's no suggestion the band were ever called ""The Stranglers IV".

Anyway:

The Stranglers Four (Roman) strangled, with no small nerve, under night time illumination (9)

Comment

Except in Toulouse, mostly come like The Stranglers' four (8)

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:
                                To continue the pedantry...no Google results (9)
                                How exactly did you manage before it was invented?

Comment

I often wonder how anyone managed before Google.

Comment

The German in Starlight Town (10)

Comment

I do beg its pardon; inexplicably enough, it seems that should have read

The German in Starlight City (10)

I was unconsciously editorialising, perhaps.

Comment

Sunderland's evil had day out (5,5)

(Is there no end to your regional bickering, man? I've now got a 'Fog on the Tyne' earworm, bonny lad).

Comment

I often wonder how anyone managed before Google.
                                          You try and tell the young people today that we had to use Alta Vista, and they won't believe yer.

Comment

Gardner has asked me to deliver your bonus clues

2 1's home- destroy unknown shag, we hear? (10)

3 Kill Kielty near 2 (11)

4 Yr. nearby metropolis, 3 (5)

5 Feeney's gaff down the road from 4 (11)

Comment

Birthplace of David Healy - behemoth scrambles away. Ahoy! (9)

Comment

Christendom to rely on Bethlehem and its environs (3,4,4)

Comment

Tentatively:

Preserve ragu cooked in city of the Holy Land (9)

Comment

I don't think that's right. Rather:

The West Bank ruler - fuel, we hear, for the singer (3,4,4)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X