No announcement yet.

Friday Cryptic Crossword Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some latex- ash old embarkation on the cards (5,4,2)

The wrongness of AH's last was beyond Hobbesian or Araucarian
    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 30-05-2020, 14:58.

Comment

Are you comparing me (tangentially) to Araucaria? I'll take that. I loved Araucaria. My favourite setter.

Comment

As long as I didn't accuse you of liking the Cure. Hobbes sulked when I suggested that was the only thing all regulars on here had in common.

As we've mentioned here from time to time, Araucaria and followers have been chided by the rival Ximeneans for sometimes stressing an elegant surface reading over hard and fast rules. But it's an entertainment, not the Classical Greats Tripos

Comment

I do like The Cure, mind.

Two men are lavish after a good hand in Texas Hold-em (5,5)

Comment

Royal Flush? (A guess, a conclusion, a Himalayan retreat) (5)

Comment

Students of early development playfully letting poor Lhasa Apso gather ball (21)

Comment

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ T _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ T _

Comment

(Hope it's ok if I have a go at this. It's my first post, let me know if it's not up to scratch ..)

Favourite (royal?) band of paleoanthropologists perhaps (6,2,3,5,3)

Comment

Welcome Granthamian

Comment

Queens of the Stone Age recent album 'No more heroes' (8)

Comment

Welcome Granthamian!

Comment

Thank you for the welcome!

Comment

And a very warm welcome to our newest Kestevian.

Comment

. . L . . . . S

Comment

These villains presumably always finish what they've started (11)

Comment

Cryptically indicated empty, grey gasworks where Masterminds gather (8)

Comment

Let me add my welcome to Granthamian. It was no mean feat to cut your teeth on this thread with a smooth follow-up to my hospital pass.

Comment

_ _ _ H _ _ _ _

Comment

Thanks Guy. Wow, Kesteven, that's not a name I've heard in a long while!
                                        And thanks Irony - I knew your answer had to be about anthropology so that got me most of the way. At first I was trying to look for other word endings using the letters left over, until the penny dropped. I have to say you've got me with this latest clue though - I can't see it (yet!)
                                        Last edited by Granthamian; 03-06-2020, 10:28. Reason: Wrong name!

Comment

When I was a wean and being brought up in North Hykeham our exercise books were imprinted with "Parts of Kesteven Education Committee"
                                          ​​​​​​
                                          I never did find out where the other parts of Kesteven were, or what they printed on their exercise books.

(and upon Baroness Thatcher's ennoblement I found out I'd been pronouncing it incorrectly [along with all my neighbours] despite living there)

Last edited by Guy Profumo; 03-06-2020, 11:12.

Comment

How do you pronounce it then?

Comment

Kesteven

Comment

You're right, that is weird. I'd always pronounced it Kesteven

Comment

Every six months or so I pop into this thread in the hope it will have become less opaque.

I take it I picked a bad time...

Comment

What a shame, pebble; any other day and it would have been pellucid.

Cryptically indicated empty, grey gasworks where Masterminds gather (8)

_ _ _ H _ _ D _

Comment

Working...
                                                    X