Othello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Othello

My brother challenged me to a game the other night. I hadn't played for about 25 years and got my ass whupped.

Fun game though. Anyone else play?

Used to. With a hand-drawn board and 64 nickels with a white sticker on one side, because I was a penniless student.

Comment

I had the slightly more up-market purchased plastic board with a green felt-like surface and white/black double sided plastic pieces.

Tried a version (Reversi?) on my phone a couple of years back but there was no real interest in winning or losing against the AI.

Comment

I find it a very aesthetically pleasing game and would like to play it more, but Mrs HO absolutely thrashes me every time we play and neither of us gains much satisfaction from these one-sided contests.

Comment

Bloody hell, haven't played it in years, have forgotten the rules but would like to give it a go as I seem to remember loving it. Like chess, I would probably be thrashed by everyone and their six-year-old kid.

Why was it called Othello, do we know?

Comment

It’s a reference to the conflict/tension between Othello and the white characters in the play.

We still play it on holiday or at Xmas, my children destroy me at it.

Comment

So it seems most of us like it but we're shit at it.

Comment

We ought to find a place where we could hold our own online tournament, to improve our level.

Comment

Yes because that's worked out brilliantly for me with chess.

Ray will come in all "I am the champion at this as I play it all the time" and will get whupped by everyone. It will be Connect Four all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    Yes because that's worked out brilliantly for me with chess.

Ray will come in all "I am the champion at this as I play it all the time" and will get whupped by everyone. It will be Connect Four all over again.
                    Yet you keep coming back for more.

Comment

Is Reversi the American English name for the same game, à la draughts/checkers, noughts & crosses/tic-tac-toe? I've never knowingly played Othello, but I remember there was an excitingly all-singing, all-dancing (er, relatively) Atari 2600 version of Reversi, which is probably still the only exposure I've had to the game, on my brother's 32-In-1 game cartridge that came with the console in 1991. I recall aimlessly flipping counters on-screen with no real knowledge of the rules' subtleties or otherwise.

Yes, 1991, not 1981. We were a very backwards family, computerwise.

Comment

Othello is Mattel’s trademarked name for their version of Reversi.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                          Yet you keep coming back for more.
                          I know, I know. I am starting to think of it as a thought experiment along the lines of monkeys with pencils writing Shakespeare.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Othello is Mattel’s trademarked name for their version of Reversi.
                            Ahh, thanks for that ursus. A minor longstanding 'mystery' solved.

Comment

Working...
                            X