All-Ireland quiz questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-Ireland quiz questions

Leaving out the GAA and specifically Irish questions, here are a few to test the OTF hive-mind:

1. Which UK PM introduced Direct Rule to NI in 1972?
    2. Name the future US President at the Battle of New Orleans?
    3. John Balance was PM of which Commonwealth country?
    4. Name the largest mountain in the Western Hemisphere?
    5. Rangoon is now called what?
    6. The Allied invasion of North Africa was known as?
    7. By what name are the Friendly Isles now known?
    8. In which range does the Rio Grande rise?
    9. The March 2018 storm bore what name?
    10. How many seats are in the NI Assembly?
    11. How old will Gerry Adams be this year?
    12. Enrique Pena Nieto is president of?
    13. Name the Florida town where the high school shooting occurred?
    14. Who was the "preacher to presidents"?
    15. Antonio Guterres is from which country?
    16. Who created the Charlie Parker book series?
    17. 2018 is the Chinese Year of?
    18. Whose farewell tour is Homeward Bound?
    19. Name Nelson's flagship.
    20. The fourth Sunday of Lent is better known as?

1. Ted Heath
    2. Old Hickory Andrew Jackson
    4. McKinley
    5. Yangon
    8. Sierra Nevada
    10. 90
    11. 70
    18. Paul Simon
    19. Victory
    20. Palm

Comment

7. New Hebrides
      12. Mexico
      13. Parkland
      14. Billy Graham

Comment

This kind of thing shouldn't annoy me as much as it does , but what an awful question. Largest mountain not tallest?? And can someone please define the Western Hemisphere for me? Everything west of Greenwich and east of international date line perhaps?Or the political West?
        Last edited by seand; 16-04-2018, 13:54.

Comment

What makes these all-Ireland?

6. Torch
          7. Tahiti
          20. Mothering

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

This kind of thing shouldn't annoy me as much as it does , but what an awful question. Largest mountain not tallest?? And can someone please define the Western Hemisphere for me? Everything west of Greenwich and east of international date line perhaps?
            That was my own typing mistake, should, of course, read "tallest".

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
              1. Ted Heath
              2. Old Hickory Andrew Jackson
              4. McKinley
              5. Yangon
              8. Sierra Nevada
              10. 90
              11. 70
              18. Paul Simon
              19. Victory
              20. Palm
              Nay to 8 and 20, DG.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                7. New Hebrides
                12. Mexico
                13. Parkland
                14. Billy Graham
                Try again on 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                  What makes these all-Ireland?

6. Torch
                  7. Tahiti
                  20. Mothering
                  The quiz itself was an All-Ireland, but only posted the more general questions here.

Comment

Tonga, then

8 is the San Juan Mountains

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                      The quiz itself was an All-Ireland, but only posted the more general questions here.
                      Ah ok. I started reading them and thought that you just had a very broad definition of Irish.

Comment

Do you lot still call Denali Mount McKinley?

Comment

At first reading I assumed there was an Irish link to all answers so guessed at McKinley- isn't Aconagua taller? Until just now I had never heard of Denali

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Tonga, then

8 is the San Juan Mountains
                            He took the Rockies, at any rate, so presumably the San Juans are part of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              At first reading I assumed there was an Irish link to all answers so guessed at McKinley- isn't Aconagua taller?
                              And indeed, that's the answer.

Comment

The McKinley-Denali debate has been contentious at times, but the latter is now well-established in Alaska.

The Koyukon Athabaskans who inhabit the area around the mountain have for centuries referred to the peak as Dinale or Denali. The name is based on a Koyukon word for "high" or "tall".[22] During the Russian ownership of Alaska, the common name for the mountain was Bolshaya Gora (Russian: Большая Гора, bolshaya = Russian for big; gora = Russian for mountain), which is the Russian translation of Denali.[23] It was briefly called Densmore's Mountain in the late 1880s and early 1890s[24] after Frank Densmore, an Alaskan prospector who was the first European to reach the base of the mountain.[25]

In 1896, a gold prospector named it McKinley as political support for then-presidential candidate William McKinley, who became president the following year. The United States formally recognized the name Mount McKinley after President Wilson signed the Mount McKinley National Park Act of February 26, 1917.[26] In 1965, Lyndon B. Johnson declared the north and south peaks of the mountain the "Churchill Peaks", in honor of British statesman Winston Churchill.[27] The Alaska Board of Geographic Names changed the name of the mountain to Denali in 1975, which was how it is called locally.[7][28] However, a request in 1975 from the Alaska state legislature to the United States Board on Geographic Names to do the same at the federal level was blocked by Ohio congressman Ralph Regula, whose district included McKinley's hometown of Canton.[29]

On August 30, 2015, just ahead of a presidential visit to Alaska, the Barack Obama administration announced the name Denali would be restored in line with the Alaska Geographic Board's designation.[9][30] U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell issued the order changing the name to Denali on August 28, 2015, effective immediately.[8] Jewell said the change had been "a long time coming".[31] The renaming of the mountain received praise from Alaska's senior U.S. senator, Lisa Murkowski,[32] who had previously introduced legislation to accomplish the name change,[33] but it drew criticism from several politicians from President McKinley's home state of Ohio, such as Governor John Kasich, U.S. Senator Rob Portman, U.S. House Speaker John Boehner, and Representative Bob Gibbs, who described Obama's action as "constitutional overreach" because he said an act of Congress is required to rename the mountain;[34][35][36] The Alaska Dispatch News reported that the Secretary of the Interior has authority under federal law to change geographic names when the Board of Geographic Names does not act on a naming request within a "reasonable" period of time. Jewell told the Alaska Dispatch News that "I think any of us would think that 40 years is an unreasonable amount of time."[37]

Indigenous names for Denali can be found in seven different Alaskan languages.[38] The names fall into two categories. To the south of the Alaska Range in the Dena'ina and Ahtna languages the mountain is known by names that are translated as "big mountain". To the north of the Alaska Range in the Lower Tanana, Koyukon, Upper Kuskokwim, Holikachuk, and Deg Xinag languages the mountain is known by names that are translated as "the high one",[39] "the tall one" (Koyukon, Lower and Middle Tanana, Upper Kuskokwim, Deg Xinag, and Holikachuk), or "big mountain" (Ahtna and Dena'ina).[40] Asked about the importance of the mountain and its name, Will Mayo, former president of the Tanana Chiefs Conference, an organization that represents 42 Athabaskan tribes in the Alaskan interior, said “It’s not one homogeneous belief structure around the mountain, but we all agree that we’re all deeply gratified by the acknowledgment of the importance of Denali to Alaska’s people."[41]

Comment

Astounded that Trump hasn't rolled back Obama's legislation here.

Comment

He needs Murkowski's support in the Senate, and the Ohio Republicans who are still in Congress don't care as much about McKinley as their predecessors did.

Comment

I had actually thought that for the peak itself either Denali or Mount McKinley were acceptable, but the national park and region were known solely as Denali. I guess I'm a little out of date.

Of course the "biggest mountain" in the western hemisphere - by volume, independent from its surrounds - is almost certainly Mauna Kea, given that it's basically standalone prominent from the sea floor rather than part of any range or continent. But I have no idea how you'd verify that.

Comment

Mauna Kea

Is the tallest mountain on earth, but no the highest.

Comment

An even more nerdy, potentially correct, answer is Chimborazo.

Comment

Working...
                                          X