Opening Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening Lines

I tend towards the hypermodern in my openings in the OTF tournaments. I'm not certain it gives me any advantage but I like the philosophy behind them. Especially the N openings as it develops a piece that needs developing but allows me to delay my initial pawn moves. I also can't turn down the opportunity to fianchetto.

What are your favourite opening lines?

I like the Alapin variation of the Sicilian, though I am also quite partial to the Bowdler attack.

Comment

I'm afraid, that, out of risk-averseness, I tend to stick with what I'm familiar with, which means I always play Queen's Gambit as white and Sicilian as black in response to 1 e4. I rely on my opponents to introduce the element of novelty.

With regard to my habitual Queen's Gambit, I was amused to see from that biographical blog piece I posted on the other thread about the Santasiere whose folly Levin played recently, that he had harsh comments about the likes of me:

Santasiere really despised openings that were overly analyzed and lead to few unknown trails, such as the Queen's Gambit and the Ruy Lopez and wrote harshly about those openings as well as those who employed them. About the Queen's Gambit he wrote: "The Queen's Gambit is neither a gambit nor an honor to any Queen. It is like a piece of dead flesh kept overlong on ice...more the tool of a coward than an adventurer." and "In my pioneering days, with regard to the decadent, fear-ridden Queen's Gambit, I often spoke of the 'murder of the middle game.'

Comment

Working...
      X