Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not-so-current gaming

In a SNES mood:

WeaponLord - still as brutally difficult as I remember. Can't get past the second opponent without cheating even after learning the moves. SNK's output is a piece of piss compared to this.

Stunt Race FX - has not held up. At all. The tiny play window, the slip-slidy handling, the single figure frame rate.

Zoop - imagine if Tempest and Columns had a baby. It's frantic, it's psychological warfare and I love it.

I just reinstalled Uplink, partly because I always return to it every few years and partly because the UI refresh mod UplinkOS was finished recently. It's still as great as ever.

Comment

Now this is a thread I can get behind.

Currently engrossed in Need For Speed - Most Wanted. I can't do enough of the Milestones to get into the 4th place final races. There are cheat codes, but I have got this far...

And inbetween bouts of that and to stop me raging, I play Bejeweled 3. A LOT.

Comment

Somebody, not too long ago, was nefarious enough to provide a link to a site where you can play Sensible Soccer online. I have since become obsessed with getting Austria Wien to win the Champions League on Expert difficulty. I've reached the group stage twice, but then the Milans and Marseilles thrash my valiant Viennese.

Still addictive after all those years.

Comment

Hmmm.... and would you have that link to hand, Wouter? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Banana shots man. Then Wien will come through. And is it like Rijkaard Papin and Van B era Milan? I say.

Comment

Weren't the names 'sanitised'? Papon, Fardenund, Sherungham, etc? Those were the days.

Comment

Is it not one of the versions that let you edit the names of the players and teams?

Comment

I was very much a player of basic games, being too clumsy for the multiple button clicking of modern consoles. A few which spring to mind:

Aces Over Europe
                  V-Rally
                  FIFA 94 (I think Barry Davies' voice used to be in there?)
                  Sim Tower
                  The Sims 1
                  Manic Karts - just a demo off a magazine cover
                  Shane Warne Cricket (commentating from Aggers and Boycott, among others)

Comment

I also had a seriously early B&W F1 game on a pre-Windows work "portable computer" I somehow got loaded on there. Those were the days. The graphics were extremely basic, and you used the four arrows for speed and steering. Also had sanitised names like Nigel Mainsail (yes, that era) but you could change them. Addictive.

For those interested in such things, this was a Chicony machine, too heavy to be called a laptop, had a built in handle so you carried it like a briefcase. I used it for SuperCalc spreadsheets, pre-WISYWIG. This was before I'd seen Lotus123, let alone Excel.

Comment

Here's the link: Sensible Soccer

And yes, it is a sanitized version, to the extent that even club team names are scrambled. And yes, you can edit everything, but since this is a browser game, it will not remember edits you made, so next time you load the game, you need to edit everything all over again.

Another weird side effect of being a browser game is that the random seed is fixed, so if you play the same tournament (say, a champions league) as the first event every time that you load the game, it will give you the same first round opponent every time (Austria Wien will play Copenhagen). As soon as any result is generated, this effect disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        Banana shots man. Then Wien will come through. And is it like Rijkaard Papin and Van B era Milan? I say.
                        Also yes. In the starting lineup, Gullit is benched. Idiots...

Comment

Flash only, that Sensi emulator. Which is a good thing for me, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                            Somebody, not too long ago, was nefarious enough to provide a link to a site where you can play Sensible Soccer online.
                            Er, oops – that would be me, then. It was in the 'Trippy Drone Goals From The Bangladesh Premier League' thread, obviously.

Sam, you said the same thing about the Flash emulator on that page, incidentally.

Comment

You can play a legit version of SWOS on Xbox 360/One and GOG.

Comment

Yeah, and it's a bit shit. The physics just seem "off" somehow, it reminds me of the Master System version in that regard.

Comment

Incidentally, Jon Hare, ex of Sensible Software, is working on a spiritual successor to the game. Its Kickstarter didn't get funded, but he seems to have found the funding from elsewhere and is planning to release it later this year. Supposedly they're going to do the big reveal at Gamescom.

Comment

£60 for a SNES Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island cartridge...

Almost bought it.

Overstayed my welcome in the shop thinking about it.

Not sure I did the right thing.

Comment

Many years ago my flat in Chalk Farm got burgled. Leaving aside the damage, emotional upset, etc, the thing that bothered me most was that they took my favourite jacket, a really good cassette compilation I'd be hanging onto into the MP3 era, and my old Nintendo 64 with Mario Kart 64 and GoldenEye. Never replaced them.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        £60 for a SNES Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island cartridge...

Almost bought it.

Overstayed my welcome in the shop thinking about it.

Not sure I did the right thing.
                                        You did exactly the right thing - if it was just the cartridge on its own, you should be paying about half that. Sublime game but sixty notes is a piss-take.

Comment

Oh it was boxed.

I still don't know if I did the right thing.

Comment

Actually, that's not a terrible price for it boxed. £100 is not uncommon for a complete copy.

Comment

Patrick, let another OTFer put your doubts to rest.
                                              https://twitter.com/the_itch1980/status/880559387198332928

Comment

That said, the only console in our house is a Wii. Though that's not because I've deliberately gone retro - I've simply not bought another one since getting it (having had children, game-playing time has been very limited from 2011 onwards), and it's got a lot of mileage in it yet.

For example, I collected stars 49 and 50 on Super Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday. Still got 70 to go, plus a fair number of comet medals. And the boy is very much into Mario Kart Wii and Cars.
                                                Last edited by Kevin S; 30-06-2017, 10:28.

Comment

Mrs Thistle was well into Mario Galaxy.

I wouldn't dismiss Super Nintendos as shite for the same reason classic Arcade games aren't shite. They're fun to play. Most new games come with a lengthy description of the amazing graphics as a key selling point. Yes that's why people play games. To look at stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X