Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch

So, on the back of a promising E3 showing from Nintendo I caved and pre-ordered the Splatoon 2 Switch bundle, which will hopefully arrive in time for the release Mario Odyssey. Is anyone else rocking a Switch? How does online multiplayer with friends work right now before they've rolled out the paid setup? Any tips for accessories?

Thoroughly unpleasant Will Smith earworm.

Comment

I love my Switch!

Whilst the PS4 is the main console, I have spent more time on my Switch this year than on the PS4. It's the form factor and being able to play laid out on the sofa, in bed, in the garage, on the TV... It just fits into how I have free time.

I've had a few multiplayer games down the local with my Wife on Snipperclips and MK8, Snipperclips was easier as the screen is a bit cramped for MK8, but serviceable.

Online is free until next year when there will be a charge, rumours suggest around £20 a year and you'll get access to Virtual Console style NES games with that, though all rumours at the moment as there aren't many details from Nintendo at the moment.

Accessories? I'd suggest a stand, which is much better than the built in kick stand and allows you to charge. - This is the one I have.
      I'd also suggest a Glass screen protector, and a decent case.

Also make sure you get Zelda, it's the best game I've ever played!
      Last edited by superstu64; 19-06-2017, 15:11.

Comment

Originally posted by superstu64 View Post
        I love my Switch!

Whilst the PS4 is the main console, I have spent more time on my Switch this year than on the PS4. It's the form factor and being able to play laid out on the sofa, in bed, in the garage, on the TV... It just fits into how I have free time.

I've had a few multiplayer games down the local with my Wife on Snipperclips and MK8, Snipperclips was easier as the screen is a bit cramped for MK8, but serviceable.

Online is free until next year when there will be a charge, rumours suggest around £20 a year and you'll get access to Virtual Console style NES games with that, though all rumours at the moment as there aren't many details from Nintendo at the moment.
        I know that stuff, I'm just curious about how matchmaking etc. works in-game at the moment, given that it's supposed to be transitioning to a phone app when the paid service goes live. If I wanted to play, say, Mario Kart with you, how exactly would I do that? There was talk of them dropping friend codes a while back, but apparently not?

Also, as one of the few people with a Wii-U, I've already played Zelda.

Comment

Ahh I see, so currently online matchmaking is just like it was on Wii U, there's a lobby you can choose Worldwide, Friends or Private Rooms (called Tournaments). It's well populated at the moment and I've always been able to get a game.

In your example, if we wanted to play each other, you get a list of your friends and can then see if they are playing it will then try and join you together, or you could use the Tournament thing to create a private lobby using a code.

In terms of adding as friends, there is still, frustratingly, friend codes, however it is a system wide one, so you just have the one code for all games and it's at the Switch level. If you wanted to add me my code is SW-6089-3113-1818.

When you enter the code, the other person then gets a friend request and doesn't need your code back.

Comment

Got one of these now. It's good. Has anyone got a controller they recommend? I still have a couple of GCN controllers that you can get an adapter for but they're 20 years old and I'm not really wanting adapters and cables these days. I'm looking at the PowerA wireless for £40.

Boy is currently doing MK8 on table top mode.

Comment

Personally I just use the joycons, but people really like Nintendo's Pro controller. It's pricey though. If you want a retro controller, people rave about the 8BitDo ones

Comment

I took delivery of my Pro Controller earlier, and can confirm that for my large hands, it's a great deal more comfortable than using the joycon adapter when playing on TV. If you can afford the £60 I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

Comment

I don't even bother with the grip. I just hold the joycons in each hand. But a) I have small hands, and b) I very rarely play on TV.

Comment

Hey there's a Switch thread. We bought one the weekend before lockdown. Mrs Thistle has 800+ power moons on Mario Oddessey, I've reached the egg on Links Awakening. I had a brief go on Lego Worlds which felt a bit tedious. I've also got an Asterix game but haven't played that yet. I really like the joycons.

Comment

I have a Switch Lite now. I'm only playing Animal Crossing on it. I wanted to get a Switch but they are on back-order until November here (or available for $600 or more).

Comment

We have a Switch. We (or mostly the kids) play: Animal Crossing, Just Dance, Ringfit Adventure, Mario Party, and Minecraft. Husband played Zelda on it a while ago, and a couple of other game demos. It's been a real advantage during lockdown. We don't have it set up for playing with other people via the internet (mostly for safeguarding reasons re: the kids).

Comment

Thanks all for the replies, likewise on the not-having-kids-play-online for us.

I'd been getting on ok with the joy con for Mario Kart 8 but then we got Yoshi's Crafted World, which has a co-op mode. I then realised that I'd been fine with the blue joy con on MK8 as whoever I played it with used the red one in the wheel. But if I tried the red joy con on Yoshi - where the thumb stick is central - it was just terrible.

So after dithering for so long I checked on Argos and they had a couple of wired ones for a tenner, which was cheap enough for me to live with cables at times. I got both sorts.

The purple one is a PowerA, and the red one is a PDP rock candy, though both have the Nintendo seal of approval. Being a basic cabled controller there's no rumble and no motion sensitivity but the layout and feel are fine. I prefer the larger PowerA one but either is fine really.

Comment

There seems to be a sale of sorts on the e-shop at the moment. I prefer physical cards to downloads but I bought Grid Autosport last night for ?21. It's the first (only?) 'real' racing game I've seen on Switch and it has pretty decent variety for the money (from touring cars, to open wheel racing, to racing hot hatches around Paris).

Comment

If you've got ?6.50 (or equivalent) to spare then pick up A Short Hike from the e-store. It's absolutely adorable.

Comment

Got the Pikmin 3 demo - you get a good solid bit of game for zero outlay.

Comment

The internet is raging about the technical aspects of the port. I'm not normally one to fuss about that, but at full price for a game I already own on Wii-U it is a bit galling.

Comment

Yeah, there's s lot of good Wii U material that they either have ported or could do since most Switch owners won't have played them. But completely agree they should be cheaper even if you stick the word 'Deluxe' on the title.

Comment

Fired up the Switch for the first time in ages the other day, to discover that my Nintendo Online membership entitles me to access to their SNES collection of games. There's some filler, as you might imagine, however theres also The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, which I am now replaying and enjoying immensely.

Comment

The cub has got well into his Switch after a pretty slow start.
                                        He's just completed Super Mario Odyssey and one of the many Pokemon games.

Comment

DLC tracks for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has just been announced. I may succumb to this.

Comment

So... re: the above - has anyone ever used the website CD Keys? They have codes for the Mario Kart Booster at a few quid less than direct from the Nintendo Store and I wondered if there's a catch.

I've never used a code for a download on the Switch before so how would it work to get one from a third party website?

Comment

I've used cd keys to buy minecraft money and playstation plus vouchers. They seem to be legit.

The thing that marks me off about the Switch is that the games are perpetually expensive. I want to get Breath of the Wild for the cub's birthday but it's £50 still. It came out in 2017! Why isn't it a tenner now?

Comment

Cheers hobbes, might give that a go next week. Six quid is an unwell cephalopod after all. Presumably they buy a job lot of codes from Nintendo for a discount and then undercut them, or something. I can see the bit on Nintendo's website now to enter a DLC code - https://ec.nintendo.com/redeem#/ - so I guess it'll just plug in there.

Yeah, agree with you on the game prices. I remember this being the case with the Wii as well (I didn't have a Wii U). The big, classic games have just stayed expensive for the lifetime of the console. Even Mario Odyssey is still pushing £40. With the GameCube and the Wii they rebadged these games (as Player's Choice and Selects respectively) and dropped the prices by half. I wonder if they'll do that again for the Switch soon. Hope so!

Comment

Cd keys code worked fine and the first two cups are live as of 22 minutes ago. Nailed the first one on 150cc straight off, four wins and triple star.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X