No announcement yet.

Current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla also available from tomorrow. As I'm not allowed to the pub for my birthday I've decided to treat myself to a new release for once, rather than waiting two years for it to be cheap like I normally do. Except that now I have to wait two weeks for it to be an actual present for myself on the day. Which is going to be torture.

Comment

Just built myself a new gaming PC after about five years and the upgrade is insane. My Timespy benchmark score nearly tripled, and I'm getting over 100fps in Control on max settings, including ray tracing. Currently installing MSFS to see how that performs. It was almost unplayable on my old desktop, and only so-so on my newer laptop.

Comment

So got the Series X and treated myself to Watchdogs Legion.
        Big mistake...
        26 pages of the same thing. Randomly losing hours of progress because they went for a silly cloud save not a local save copied to the cloud.

Comment

I'm umming and aahing about a Series X. I mean, I want one, but this entire storage business is putting me right off. Currently I've got a 4TB external with LOTS of games on it, which will be unusable with the Series X. A 1TB expansion costs ?220.

Comment

I think you can use the same drive, it just won't be as fast.
            I certainly recognised my USB drive when I copied some games across
            Last edited by hobbes; 17-11-2020, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
              I'm umming and aahing about a Series X. I mean, I want one, but this entire storage business is putting me right off. Currently I've got a 4TB external with LOTS of games on it, which will be unusable with the Series X. A 1TB expansion costs ?220.
              Much like the equipment to put up a mirror, you don't *need* it.

Comment

Well, no. I don't need any of the games consoles I have. That said, TLMG is offering to buy me one as a birthday / Christmas present so I have the decision to make.

Comment

I am trying to work out which xbox one second hand deals are best value for the kids. Prices dropped like a rock this past month. Any recommendations? The last console I had was a PS2 so I am next to clueless.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                    Well, no. I don't need any of the games consoles I have. That said, TLMG is offering to buy me one as a birthday / Christmas present so I have the decision to make.
                    Say yes. Decision sorted

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                      Assassin's Creed: Valhalla also available from tomorrow. As I'm not allowed to the pub for my birthday I've decided to treat myself to a new release for once, rather than waiting two years for it to be cheap like I normally do. Except that now I have to wait two weeks for it to be an actual present for myself on the day. Which is going to be torture.
                      Rather than waiting 15 days till my birthday, it should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me that I lasted 16 minutes after release to buy it.

REVIEW: If you like Assassin's Creed games, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't.

Comment

I think you can use the same drive, it just won't be as fast.
                        I certainly recognised my USB drive when I copied some games across
                        For old games, yes. You can't play Xbox Series X games from a non-proprietary drive.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                            I am trying to work out which xbox one second hand deals are best value for the kids. Prices dropped like a rock this past month. Any recommendations? The last console I had was a PS2 so I am next to clueless.
                            If you're going second hand (and I assume you're not able/desirous of getting latest gen), go for an Xbox One X if you can. The S and base Xbone were really starting to struggle at the end of this generation. Also the XboneX has more future proofing in terms of UHD Blu-Ray, 4K HDR output etc, VRR etc.

Comment

In case people haven't played it yet and are interested: I just received an email saying that Untitled Goose Game is on sale on Steam. So, it's cheaper than it was before; make of that what you want.

Comment

Thanks Wouter D. I did have it on my Steam wishlist, but as I don't regularly check the email account that's linked to, I could easily have missed the sale, so your PSA is very appreciated!

Comment

So having shelved Watch Dogs because even if I really love a game, playing the same levels 3 or 4 times in a row isn't much fun, I've moved onto Miles Morales.
                                  Like the original, it's a work of art. It's pure joy, webbing around NYC, the fight mechanics are like batman only better and it's varied enough in skills and tech from Spiderman to make it a different challenge. Will certainly keep me going until Cyberpunk comes out or Ubishite fix their stupid gimped save system.

Comment

I've been replaying the witcher 3 on its new game+ setting, almost two years after initially completing it, and I'd forgotten so much of it, because there really is a lot to do. Besides some standard fetch quests there are some intriguing mysteries to solve with all manner of twists and turns, I found myself assuming that certain quests were going one way, only to be pleasantly surprised by it going in a different direction altogether. The combat is very interesting as well, and without going into too fine detail, wading in to a fight is generally a terrible idea, indeed you are encouraged to study your enemy by reading the in game bestiary, and that need to rest before a battle became very enjoyable, I felt like a dragon killing samurai.
                                    Upon initial play I thought I wouldn't enjoy the po-faced protagonist, but Geralt has grown on me over time, and one thing I'd noticed upon first play is how there are a lot of European voice actors reading fairly complex English dialogue that's been written in Polish before being translated into English, I presume, and it makes for some unique script reading. I'd noticed it at the time and found it kind of goofy and charming, but what surprised me recently is how my Finnish partner REALLY noticed it. It's the dialogue equivalent of uncanny valley.

Comment

The way Microsoft names the various incarnations of its consoles could be clearer, really. They all seem to be various combinations of ones, Xs and Ss.

Comment

It took me 3 goes to get into the Witcher 3, but once I did I played it for about 8 months. Not sure I can face that again, although if the rumored PS5 patch comes out, well...

Comment

Pre-ordered cyberpunk 2077 last night, purely because a site here in Finland (It's gigantti for the Finnish based lovers of bargains) is offering it for the positively nostalgic price of 40€, and that's a useful kind of nostalgia I can live with, for I shall never pay 60/70 quid/euro for a game.
                                          I do like that you can upgrade it for nowt as and when you get a new console, because I have an original xbox one (ho boy, if witcher 3 is anything to go by, cyberpunk is going to take a week to load a save game) and won't be getting an xbox series x until January.
                                          I never have any expectations in doing anything nowadays (leaves me pleasantly surprised if anything is enjoyable), but must say that it looks like it could be a right old bunch of fun. Just hope it isn't too po-faced.

Comment

Oh, and the already pretty damn good value xbox game pass is even better now, with all of EA's online catalogue now available.
                                            they've got that very good star wars jedi fallen order on there, and it's given me the chance to finally try the highly-rated dragon age series, oh they've got control on there as well, and dead space! Yeah, it took a while, but Microsoft finally pulled their fingers out with game pass.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              It took me 3 goes to get into the Witcher 3, but once I did I played it for about 8 months. Not sure I can face that again, although if the rumored PS5 patch comes out, well...
                                              Was there anything in particular that stopped you from getting into it immediately?

I think I played it at a good time - basically I had a bit of time on my hands - because it was the first game I'd played in a while where I couldn't just brute force myself through everything, which forced me to start consulting the bestiary and learn how to combat the many different things i was encountering, which in turn made me realise how much effort had been put into the game. I don't know if I'd have had the patience were it not for my circumstances at the time. What I really enjoyed was an early side quest where you're looking for somebodies brother, believed to have been slain on the battlefield, only for you to find that he left the battle with an opposition soldier and the two of them are getting happily drunk, it was a nice twist on the usual 'find slain brethren, bring back something to show it was him, receive reward' fare.

Comment

Not sure really. I’m not a big fan of the whole fantasy genre, sci fi is more my thing and it narks me off that all that sword of dobber stuff is always lumped in with sci fi. So there was that.
                                                Then it took me a bit to get into the fighting mechanisms.
                                                Finally I hadn't really played an rpg like it before, but between attempts I'd fallen hopelessly for Horizon Zero Dawn so I had a better grasp on how those sort of games work.

Comment

Picked up a Series S. Great value, especially with Game Pass including EA games. Like Hobbes I had huge problems with Watch Dogs: Legion, but with the most recent patch it’s playable. Lots of fun.

Comment

Donut County is currently free on Game Pass and is a fun way to pass a couple of hours.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X