No announcement yet.

Current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but I have 312 exams to grade. Haven't had time for frivolities like gaming since August.

My Christmas holiday starts this weekend, and I have planned nothing. Untitled Goose Game is high on my todo list. Being obnoxious to people for 3.5 weekds sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Comment

I used to play a lot in my teens and early 20s but these days don't really have the time available to justify sinking hundreds of pounds into video games. So basically the only things I would play would be on my old Wii. It's still going strong after about 11 years as are the GameCube controllers which must be something like 16 years old. I've had to get the tri-wing screwdriver on them a few times but since it all still works ok I can't see the point in upgrading.

(See also: televisions, computers, phones, cars....)

Comment

I got disillusioned by Outer Worlds pretty quickly. The loot was pretty much pointless after a few hours and the quests and perks were mostly not all that interesting. I also struggled with how relentlessly all the gamey aspects were surfaced. It's tough to roleplay a conversation when you know you'll get 500XP for lying, say, even if you don't want to. And there was so much inventory juggling. But I'm keen to see what they might do with a bigger budget now they're under Microsoft's wing (not counting the Honey I Shrunk The Kids thing). It feels like a much more solid basis to build something great off than Bethesda's engine.

I got sidetracked for a week or two by the ridiculous new patch for DotA, but I'm just about over that now. Currently diving back into the amazing Offworld Trading Company for a while, before I go back to RPGs with Disco Elysium, which I picked up in the Steam sale.
        Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 05-12-2019, 15:16.

Comment

Any interest here in ai dungeon 2? It's an infinitely generative text adventure, using the same dataset as talk to transformer.

It's incredibly resource intensive, so won't work on mobile, and is pretty unstable (but therein lies at least some of the charm). Honestly, I'm absolutely engrossed. Late contender for game of the year.

Comment

So I’m finally done with Death Stranding.
            I’ve not played a Kojima game before (I briefly tried MGS but I don't do stealth well, it’s boring.)

it’s a very oddly proportioned game. You’re catapulted into the main bulk quite quickly. That goes on for a really long time then the endgame although a good 3 or 4 hours long feels quite rushed.

the ending....

*****************mild spoiler alert*********************

is basically about 2 hours of exposition “explaining” what the fuck was going on all this time because it was really shoddily explained as you went along.

***************ends******************************* *

Combat like I said feels like a hassle rather than the fun part. Against the human baddies it’s ok. Quite funny in fact. But against the true baddies it’s just annoying. Especially when they keep turning up in the same place and you need to go through that place to get to various areas.

altogether though, I did quite enjoy it, oddly.

Two tips though. Get the roads built. It makes life much easier.
            Second Carry PCCs with you so you can put up zip lines. Saves a load of hassle.

Comment

Still playing No Man's Sky, where you can now tame and ride alien beasts.

Comment

Recent games:

Outer Worlds - enjoyed for the duration, but similar long-term view as GY
                Void Bastards - tremendous bite-sized fun, if incredibly repetitive
                Subnautica - pleasant, but within about three minutes I was itching for a gun
                Outer Wilds - see Subnautica
                Witcher 3 - picked this up again after watching the series, then remembered why I'd left it (thousands of quest markers and no level scaling)
                Sniper Elite 3 - not as good as 4, but still good for my middle aged dad reflexes
                Rocket League - amusing, but I just don't have the reflexes for this
                Gears 5 - just no, gave it four hours and got bored

Comment

Got Jedi Fallen whatever for Xmas. An hour in it’s a bit annoying so far, but we’ll see how it goes.

Comment

It looks like 2020 might be the year I get a video game console. The eldest dglh keeps asking for an Xbox. She calls it an Xbox 2, as that in her mind is the two player one while the xbox one is only for one-player.

She is getting the hang of crossy road on the firestick (which I find infuriating based on the time lag). I fear we will go down a very big Minecraft wormhole some time soon...

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                      is basically about 2 hours of exposition “explaining” what the fuck was going on all this time because it was really shoddily explained as you went along.
                      Welcome to Kojima.

I've properly fallen down a Transport Fever 2 rabbit hole. It has some very frustrating mechanical shortcomings and interface niggles, but overall it's the most addictive game of its type I've played since Industry Giant 2, or maybe even the original Railroad Tycoon.

Comment

No Manic Miner! Shame!

Mind you, I'm glad to see Sensible Soccer represented https://shop.royalmail.com/special-s...120_VIDG_PR_01

Comment

And the original Worms!!!

Comment

And Micro Machines! And Lemmings!

The royal mail just earned themselves about 40 quid of preorders.

Comment

I'm rather surprised that Populous made the cut. I mean, I liked the game, but didn;t think anyone else remembered it.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                I'm rather surprised that Populous made the cut. I mean, I liked the game, but didn;t think anyone else remembered it.
                                Seriously? It's one of the most influential games of all time and more or less created the god game genre. It was also a massive commercial success and ported to loads of systems, so clearly a bunch of people played it and presumably remember it.

They probably also wanted something from Molyneux given his high profile, until recently at least, and the others probably aren't as easily recognisable.

I'm a little disappionted there's no Bitmap Brothers in there. Especially since they have four bloody Tomb Raider ones.
                                Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 07-01-2020, 15:39.

Comment

Been playing Jedi Fallen Order for the last week.
                                  It’s quite a fun game in the Tomb Raider/Uncharted vein. Lots of climby, wall-runny, double jumpy action with added force and lightsabers.
                                  The story is vaguely satisfying, although we’re not in HZD territory here. It’s quite fun, the fighting mechanics are ok (as long as you turn off auto targeting which will just get you killed a lot.)
                                  My one main criticism - and I think this is often true of EA games - is that it looks about 4 or 5 years old. There’s tons of pop up, lots of being stuck in walls etc. The anti aliasing is half arsed. Some of it looks great, but on the whole, it’s no cleaner looking than Witcher and Witcher is 20 times the size of game and 4 years old and written for a lower power PS4.
                                  It doesn’t feel like a lot of love has gone into the making of it. More a “will this do?” Attitude.
                                  Worth playing if it was a present (it was) but I’d wait to buy it until it’s £12, which it will be and soon.

Comment

I'm waiting for it to appear on EA Access, which will probably be in about six months.

Comment

If i i wanted to play Railway Tycoon, or a more modern version. What would I play?

Comment

Transport Fever 2, unless you only care about trains, in which case Railway Empire.

Comment

Goddammit February is a rubbish time for decent games. As is the run up to a console upgrade.
                                          This year is going to be arduous.

Comment

Nonsense. Even ignoring the enormous backlog from late last year, or GamePass releases, the new Size Five game has just come out. Two of them, actually. Dreams is out on PS4 if you're a creative type.

Comment

We've acquired a Nintendo switch ring fit adventure game. It's basically an exercise game, where you defeat a ripped dragon by doing either arm exercises, leg exercises, abdominal exercises or yoga poses. The kids have very quickly become addicted to it and we all have a go in the evenings. My son hasn't yet figured out that he's not affecting what's on screen because he's not holding the controllers.

Comment

I can't get near the PS4, cos ms johnr is now onto level 49 on Assassins Creed Odyssey...

Comment

Dreams is out on PS4 if you're a creative type.
                                                  You've met me, right?

Comment

Have hit a very frustrating ability plateau in Control.

I know what I'm supposed to be doing, I just can't do it. Having my arse handed to me by two (late-game, admittedly) bosses over and over is a bit galling.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X