No announcement yet.

Current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll be unsurprised to hear that Far Cry New Dawn is almost exactly Like Far Cry 5, only more colourful.
    Which I don't mind so much.

Comment

Oh and the weapons are about a quarter as lethal, so the M60 and M249 which basically ruled FC5 now chow loads of ammo for little effect. Setting them to burst fire father than full auto is a great way to get mauled.
      On the other hand, you can pull off some excellent trick shots with the circular saw blade launcher. Took out 3 people with one shot and a good bounce off a wall yesterday. Reminded me of the time the bandsaw blade came off in the cutting room at my Saturday job as a teen. We all just hit the deck and waited until it stopped bouncing around, then checked we still had all our limbs.

Comment

Crackdown 3 is bloody brilliant. I can only disagree with m'colleague above in the strongest possible terms. It does suffer from a slow start (you probably need to get to Agility Level 3 before it really begins to open up) but as pure sandbox gameplay goes it is a complete timesink, It's not a "race through the bosses" game, it's a "ooh, can I climb up that? And now I'm there, can I kill this soldier by throwing a chair at him?" game. The first update also gives you the Quackhammer - which is a explosive grenade launcher, except the grenades are explosive rubber ducks. The graphics are deliberately toned down a bit to ensure that the draw distance still works once you get up high and there is absolutely no slowdown when the mayhem really starts happening.

Comment

Me and ms johnr are about to go into what we think is the last section of RDR2. I'm dreading it , cos I don't want it to end.

Comment

Wow. Monster Hunter World is unplayable bollocks, isn't it? Never mind, it was a present.

Comment

The Division 2 may be the most Ubisoft game I've ever played. Utterly iterative, in both the good sense and the bad sense. Terrible, barely present story which makes a mockery of its claims to be apolitical. No real attempt to explain any of its systems or backstory. Godawful menu system. But the core gameplay is really, really solid. And the settings for the story missions are really quite spectacularly crafted.

Comment

Giving Witcher 3 another go.
                It's quite dull and unpleasant, isn't it? Like a cross between Game of Thrones and Emerdale.

Comment

Played the beta for the new Anno over the weekend. Very much a return to the pre-2205 model, which is good. Lots of little QoL improvements, and it looks wonderful. Not sure about the new gameplay mechanics yet - the expeditions seem a bit gimmicky, but on the other hand they may make the late game a bit more interesting than it has traditionally been.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
                    Me and ms johnr are about to go into what we think is the last section of RDR2. I'm dreading it , cos I don't want it to end.
                    We went right through to the credits, which in themselves took 45 minutes, interspersed as they were with vignettes tying up some of the character's lives. That was a fucking masterpiece, that was. I can't think of another game that matches it in story arc, and creation of a believable, 'alive' world.

We're on God of War now. It's gradually getting very good indeed, the plot is thickening, the characters are livening up, and the graphics are stunning. Finding it difficult to remember all of the combat options though, so end up using the same ones, which seems to work ok as we're on Easy Mode.

Comment

Picked up a copy of Rogue Trooper Redux over the weekend for the PS4. It's a game I played to death on Xbox back in the day, so I expected to be better at it than I actually am.

Anyway, it's diverting enough for £7.99.

Comment

I'm near the start of RDR2. I've reached the point where I can't be arsed progressing the story and am just ambling about with things happening. Chapter 2.

Comment

Just spending my gaming hours chugging through Overwatch again. Been racking up the endorsements as a good team player for being the tank or healer. It's quite enjoyable playing as Orisa or Mercy. Now trying to get myself up to speed as Ashe (but I don't really have the reflexes for a DPS) and Moira.

Comment

Still going on The Witcher 3. It might not be the best game ever, but it's extraordinary value for money given that I got the GOTY version for about £12.

Comment

Does that include Blood & Wine etc? TW3 has probably the best expansions ever.

Comment

We've just put down God of War 2 after another very entertaining couple of hours.

Comment

Does anyone know what has happened to Fallout76? Have they broken their Franchise?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                    Does that include Blood & Wine etc? TW3 has probably the best expansions ever.
                                    Yeah, the whole shaboodle. I'm up to about 3 months now. Just finishing blood and wine now

Comment

And STILL going. I finished the main missions and "finished" the game, but there were so many side missions left to do I've had to keep going.

Incidentally, they've cast Henry Cavill as Geralt for the TV adaptation. Which seems pretty wrong to me. He's too young and too square jawed and too narrow. Mads Mikkelsen would be a much better choice.

Comment

Not current gaming, but it is at least video game related - I've just found out that Johnny Chiodini is leaving Eurogamer (and hence, their video team) and this has made me do a sad.

Comment

I have serious gaming analysis paralysis going on at the moment, not helped by the fact that I've just added PC Gamepass to my existing Xbox sub (it's really an amazing bargain, especially at the current discounted price). In addition to my usual forever-games, I'm jumping between Tales From the Borderlands, The Gardens Between, Slay The Spire, Wolfenstein II, The Outer Wilds and The Red Strings Club, and DotA Underlords. I want to play but have not yet started Imperator Rome, Football Manager 2019, Void Bastards and Duskers. I've basically dropped but get a hankering to play The Division 2, Dota 2, Anno, and Red Dead Redemption 2. Every time I start a game I'm spending 5 minutes trying to work out which one to play.

Comment

Slay The Spire is smart, isn't it? Into The Breach is another recent tactically tight PC game.

My current thing is Tennis Elbow Manager 2. Anyone who's played Tennis Elbow knows it's the best tennis game around, sacrificing licenses for excellent tennis gameplay. Well, TEM 2 is that, with an added manager/coach mode where you can amass a stable of tennis chargers, train them and send them into action. You can either play the actual matches or watch them, tweaking your tennis boi/gurl's tactics as the match unfolds. It's great. I love niche sports sims so much.

I have got a newish laptop and am now waiting for No Man's Sky and Stellaris - games that were too much for my old machine - to get discounted.

Comment

I couldn't get into Into The Breach. Too puzzly for my liking. I'm sure I'll pick it up again at some point, but not till I make some progress on my backlog (forgot to mention Battletech, which I really enjoyed when I played a few missions of it, but haven't got round to continuing).

My current thing is Tennis Elbow Manager 2. Anyone who's played Tennis Elbow knows it's the best tennis game around, sacrificing licenses for excellent tennis gameplay. Well, TEM 2 is that, with an added manager/coach mode where you can amass a stable of tennis chargers, train them and send them into action. You can either play the actual matches or watch them, tweaking your tennis boi/gurl's tactics as the match unfolds. It's great. I love niche sports sims so much.
                                              I thought you were taking the mickey, but apparently not. I'm intrigued. How hardcore is it? I quite fancy a relatively light management game, like Motorsport Manager say. Something like FM or OOTP is going to be too much for me in a sport I'm not inherently interested in.

Comment

Yep, Motorsport Manager's campaign shell or the 'career' shell in Euro Truck Simulator 2 is a pretty decent comparison. You start with one player, decide their basic type and enter them for tournaments and allocate their training, so analogous to the continuing research you do to improve the car in MM. But the meat is the actual matches.

Football, Tactics And Glory is an excellent turn-based strat based on football, that's really worth a look as well,

Comment

Listened to my inner Charlie Brooker and picked up Sniper Elite 4 as it was on Xbox Game Pass.

Really enjoyed it. Nice open world, lots of ways to tackle missions, even if the novelty of the ultra-violent kill scenes wore off very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                    I have got a newish laptop and am now waiting for No Man's Sky and Stellaris - games that were too much for my old machine - to get discounted.
                                                    delicatemoth Stellaris is now on sale on Steam and GOG...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X