No announcement yet.

Current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw! Then I saw that No Man's Sky was half price, so I got that, and... well, it's very nearly as much fun as I'd hoped it would be, it's good when that happens. Mooching around bizarrely coloured planets, analysing vegetation, is definitely my idea of a good time.

Comment

Nice, enjoy!

Comment

Can't find a decent game to play. Where are all the decent AAA games?
        All I could find on Xbox store and PS4 store were shitty retro platformers.

Comment

Sensible World of Soccer - available on the xbox one for £6.75 at the mo - has become my go-to football game thanks to konami pretty much giving up with gaming and Fifa remaining an over-programmed mess. Everything on one button and the control stick, lush.

The analogue sticks are perfect for some crazy-ass swervers, got Bergkamp, Cantona and Zola (or Bargkemp, Centine and Zile as they're called. Lee Sharpe becoming 'Sherpa' was a fave) in my front 3 at the moment, we playing luxury football rn. The tactics editor has impressed me in how in depth it remains, and that's going by today's standards.
          It's the 96/97 version, and the game itself was the first to go global in terms of the number of leagues you could participate in.
          You want to start at the bottom? How does the El Salvadorian 3rd division sound?
          San Marinese prem? Go right ahead.

Oh, and it's always worth mentioning that Championship Manager 01/02, one of the greatest football management games ever created remains absolutely free to download, and it regularly receives update patches with current players and league standings via a dedicated bunch of fans. You can go with the older versions but it's amazing how much effort the fan base put in to updating it.

https://www.champman0102.co.uk/

Comment

So I got Skyrim for the XBone having heard amazing things about it.
            There's a decent game in there somewhere but the fighting mechanics are all over the place, the graphics are sub PS2 and there's too much nothing between towns,
            Having come off the back of Witcher 3, skyrim is a really dull, clunky, slow and awkward grind.
            Next!

Comment

Does the new Pro Evo look like it'll be a pile of sick or worth getting? I mean, obvs the menus, commentary and licenses will be fucked but the last 3 or 4 iterations have played well. Almost don't miss generated genius Shaw (not while there's still Giovinco and Di Natali) or Classic Cruyff and Rijkaard in the Master League anymore. (Though if they remove Proper Ronaldo they'll have fucked things up good and proper).

Comment

Don't know man. The only sports games I ever got on with were Tiger Woods 2005 and NHLPA hockey '93.
                On and Matchday on the Specky.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  Does the new Pro Evo look like it'll be a pile of sick or worth getting? I mean, obvs the menus, commentary and licenses will be fucked but the last 3 or 4 iterations have played well. Almost don't miss generated genius Shaw (not while there's still Giovinco and Di Natali) or Classic Cruyff and Rijkaard in the Master League anymore. (Though if they remove Proper Ronaldo they'll have fucked things up good and proper).
                  Konami have been investing heavily in pachinko machines (gambling machines featuring characters from the konami stable which are a cause for controversy in how addictive they reportedly are) and have turned their focus away from the home gaming market in recent years.

https://www.gamblinginsider.com/in-d...-new-direction

Mobile gaming and the 'not looking like it's just a fad but it really should just be a fad' Esports industry has become the main source of revenue for konami, and they're running with it.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...sd1-75-billion

Yet despite all of those lovely profits, the klowns at konami managed to do this: (PES loses CL License)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ficial-license

So, I wouldn't.

I had a particular fondness for konami, they were one of the high kings of gaming. I grew up with Sunset Riders, Castlevania and Contra, then as I got older the pro evo series kept me playing up to 2009 when they broke it.
                  There was a point when I was 18/19 and wondering whether gaming was too 'immature' for me, but Metal Gear Solid and the incredible Silent Hill hinted at where games were going, and I liked it.

On a positive note, capcom remain a high grade publisher, and as I haven't seen it mentioned, the Resident Evil 2 remake was so well put together and reminded me - a big open-world fan - that a tight, focused game within more traditional game confines can be just as enjoyable an experience.
                  Last edited by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen; 15-08-2019, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyling buck wilding Stijn Stijnen View Post

Oh, and it's always worth mentioning that Championship Manager 01/02, one of the greatest football management games ever created remains absolutely free to download, and it regularly receives update patches with current players and league standings via a dedicated bunch of fans. You can go with the older versions but it's amazing how much effort the fan base put in to updating it.

https://www.champman0102.co.uk/
                    I am so looking forward to getting home so I can download this. I may even skip the pub tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I am so looking forward to getting home so I can download this. I may even skip the pub tonight!
                      ptf, you should go to the pub.
                      It may end up being the last time you go for a while...

On a sidenote, here's a list of players from the 3.9.68 database (Nov 2002 patch) who went to Russia 2018 irl:-

GK
                      Essam El-Hadary EGY
                      Sherif Akramy EGY
                      Vladimir Gabulov RUS
                      Pepe Reina SPA
                      Brad Jones AUS
                      Willy Caballero ARG
                      Danijel Subašić CRO
                      Alfredo Talavera MEX
                      José de Jesús Corona MEX
                      Vladimir Stojković YUG
                      Eiji Kawashima JAP

DEF
                      Kári Árnason ICE
                      Sergei Ignashevich RUS
                      Bruno Alves POR
                      Pepe POR
                      Mark Milligan AUS
                      Alberton Rodriguez PER
                      Vincent Kompany BEL
                      Duško Tošić CRO
                      Antonio Rukavina CRO
                      Rafael Marquez MEX
                      Ragnar Sigurðsson ICE
                      Felipe Baloy PAN

MID
                      Javier Mascherano ARG
                      Luka Modric CRO
                      Yuri Zhirkov RUS
                      Mbark Boussoufa MOR
                      Makoto Hasebe JAP
                      Andres Iniesta SPA
                      Lasse Schöne DEN
                      Ricardo Quaresma POR
                      Sebastian Larsson SWE
                      Gabriel Gómez PAN
                      Ólafur Ingi Skúlason ICE
                      Emil Hallfreðsson ICE
                      Christian Bolaños CRC

FWD
                      Cristiano Ronaldo POR
                      Tim Cahill AUS
                      Jefferson Farfán PER
                      Luis Tejada PAN
                      Blas Pérez PAN
                      Radamel Falcao COL

I mean, where else would/could I put this...

Wonder if any make it to 2022?

Comment

Hmmm. The download came up with warnings from my computer about unsafe items, and then a free site wanted my card details, so I decided against it.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                          Hmmm. The download came up with warnings from my computer about unsafe items, and then a free site wanted my card details, so I decided against it.
                          Did you go to this link?

https://champman0102.co.uk/downloads.php?do=file&id=2

Also, click the link that I've circled, not the ones at the bottom.

Comment

Not sure (I did go to the pub in the end beforehand, so it's possible I may have clicked the wrong place. I'm not very good at the internet, and my computer just isn't any good full stop, so I may have a look again tomorrow morning.

Comment

Marvellous Paint skills there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                Does the new Pro Evo look like it'll be a pile of sick or worth getting?
                                Spent a good portion of last night playing the demo with Taylor and it is excellent, very intuitive with a lot of subtlety. The last few versions have been developing the aspect of physical jockeying and positioning rather than tackling, and that is better than ever. Through balls have been revised and are great now, tough but rewarding. Thoroughly recommended.

Comment

Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                    Marvellous Paint skills there.
                                    If I said it took me 30 seconds nobody would believe me. Definite case of function over form there.

Comment

Got an Xbox one with gold membership? Forza Motorsport 6 is free for this month only.
                                      Ooh, downloaded this couple of hours ago and it's scratching my gran turismo on ps1 itch something lovely.
                                      The graphics are lush.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fo.../1100-6469104/

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Spent a good portion of last night playing the demo with Taylor and it is excellent, very intuitive with a lot of subtlety. The last few versions have been developing the aspect of physical jockeying and positioning rather than tackling, and that is better than ever. Through balls have been revised and are great now, tough but rewarding. Thoroughly recommended.
                                        The last few versions have received incremental cuts, but your assessment sounds promising.

Comment

We spent nearly two hours playing those 5 minute demo games, so yes pretty promising.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                            I saw! Then I saw that No Man's Sky was half price, so I got that, and... well, it's very nearly as much fun as I'd hoped it would be, it's good when that happens. Mooching around bizarrely coloured planets, analysing vegetation, is definitely my idea of a good time.
                                            Based purely on this (and the fact I was drunk on Saturday evening) I downloaded No Man's Sky. Played it for 12 solid hours yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

If anyone has a PC with a 20-series graphics card, I definitely recommend picking up Control. The gameplay is fine, but it looks stunning with raytracing on, and is totally going to become the new Crysis in terms of crushing graphics cards if you turn up the settings.

Comment

PUBG
                                                WCC2

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                                  If anyone has a PC with a 20-series graphics card, I definitely recommend picking up Control. The gameplay is fine, but it looks stunning with raytracing on, and is totally going to become the new Crysis in terms of crushing graphics cards if you turn up the settings.
                                                  I've got it on the PS4. It's a fine looking game and mad as hell, but it's just too annoyingly hard in random places. There's no learning curve, you just suddenly hit bits that you're totally overwhelmed and end up dying after a 15 minute dogfight and going right back to the start. I hate games that don't have difficulty levels and just set everything to l really bloody hard. They're not fun, they're just a grind.
                                                  I'm about 2 restarts away from chucking it in the bin.

Comment

The only real difficulty spikes I've encountered are the boss fights, which can be bullshit, though I have occasionally got too cocky in general combat. Dying doesn't lose you any progress beyond having to navigate back to where you were, so it's not so bad.

I don't envy you playing on PS4 though. Apparently the performance is pretty terrible (can't imagine the loading times are fun either) and of course you don't get all the lovely raytracing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X