No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ad hoc That info s​​​​hould be available on your Stats > Player Statistics page.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      I had a player in the otf league (smething like Vukojevic) who got a ton of reds and yellows but I have no idea if I can go back and find out exactly how many (and I don't make spreadsheets like you hardcore types do)
      Player stats for all time is your friend here. No spreadsheet for me either.

Edit: Beaten to it by Foxy.

Comment

Thanks. In a career spanning 207 games, he got 9 reds and a spectacular 88 yellows

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
          I know, right? I got multiple press releases out of Alf Johnstone's disciplinary record and the highest number of red cards he managed was 2. Thing is, he looked the part, as does Denis Redondo. Emily doesn't, really. Anyway, she'll be SOMP (Some Other Manager's Problem) soon.
          Imagine her as a player with no other role than as a designated enforcer. One could run a setup where she comes off the bench, but with no substitution arrangement so she only gets in if there's an injury. If the opponent plays nice, all is well; if they knock out one of the midfielders, though, then she comes in and goes on a rampage of revenge for as long as it takes to get a red.

Comment

Current defender Runar Hedin is the naughtiest of all Highwaymen past and present with 48 yellows and 4 reds.
            Also a special mention should go to a past Dandy Town defender Vilgot Hyland, who in a 222 game career only picked up a grand total of 2 yellows. As defenders go that is pretty impressive.

Comment

In their 13 seasons of existence, not one Whoft player has been sent off. Angelic bunch of fluffers we are.

Comment

In forty seasons, twenty Kneebiters have been sent off. Fifteen only once, four twice, and one four times.

No Kneebiter seems to ever have scored an own goal. I find that hard to believe.

Comment

I had a player at Noirs de Bigorre (Xpert Zone) called Jerry Brock, who combined Hulk and Cheat and amassed quite a hoard of cards. Doubt I can find his stats now I’ve dropped the team.

nmrfox this is a CR predictor I’ve used in the past although it’s old and clumsy. Like me:

This is a guide to some of the more advanced aspects of playing the XpertEleven football management game.

Comment

Jerry Brock got 76 yellows and 6 reds in a 374 game career.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                      Jerry Brock got 76 yellows and 6 reds in a 374 game career.
                      Thanks Etienne, did you get that from the Poayer Stats?

Quite a feeble return really.

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

For some truly impressive bad behaviour, I think we need to get MortalJoe in here to comment. I seem to remember he had a female player – though I can't remember whether it was in The Human League or the Xpert Ladies – who picked up something extraordinary like 4 red cards in 9 games once a few years back. As I recall, when she actually played she was very effective, too – it's just that she missed about one in every three games suspended.

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                          In forty seasons, twenty Kneebiters have been sent off. Fifteen only once, four twice, and one four times.
                          No Kneebiter seems to ever have scored an own goal. I find that hard to believe.
                          Ah, no the all-time stats are misleading here. For some reason I've never understood, when players leave a club their own-goal tally (on the player stats page) automatically resets to 0. That means it's only active players whose OG totals are reliable.

So, on the plus side, it does definitely mean that none of your current squad of 'Biters have ever scored an OG in their young careers. But it doesn't mean that none of the ones who went before them did.

Comment

Meanwhile, many congratulations again to Wouter for returning to Human League glory after more than a 'decade' away, having also previously left 10 seasons between his first and second crowns there. And many congratulations too of course to both Etienne and Sean for adding to their bulging trophy cabinets by claiming the MLX and OTF titles again respectively – and I in no way say any of that through gritted teeth or anything.

I'm hoping to bring in a temporary manager to MLX tonight/tomorrow to fill the one spot we currently have, after appointing one permanent one just now, so fingers crossed I'll be able to get the new season (Season 30!) there set up within the next 24 hours or so.
                            Last edited by Various Artist; 28-01-2021, 01:55.

Comment

On the cards front, I've spent so high a proportion of my time in X11 running scared of getting players booked and suspended, with perhaps excessive use of Cautious tactics, that I've barely had a hardman or -woman to speak of. Vita Mortis' original midfield hardcase (who looked it, too) and eventual club legend Jarvis Rowson is perhaps the only one that can truly count, having had the benefit of being in my oldest club's original squad and therefore had the freedom of playing in the era before I cottoned onto the notion that different refs needed to be treated differently in terms of how aggressively one should play.

Jarvis idolised that other JR, Etienne's Jim Ryder, and managed a very solid return of 5 red cards and 66 yellows in his 284 appearances – the next highest in both categories is long-serving defender Arnor Gunnlaugsson, who picked up a mere 3 + 26 in 340 outings. And in our 621 competitive games only three other VM players have ever been sent off, once apiece... meaning Rowson's personal tally of reds is only one fewer than the cumulative total of every other player to have pulled the shirt on ever.

Brilliantly, mind, two of those three are Ryder's fellow "original" Seymour Buckley (1 in 354 games) and the latter's nephew and current defence member Robin Buckley (1 in 84*). Even better, the only other player ever to have been sent off for us is one Lenny Beeton, a 19/5 forward who played just 2 games for us in April 2019, and whose early bath in his second appearance was therefore his very last act as a Mortis player.

Rowson might just count as my greatest 'all-rounder' in X11. As well as his disciplinary, er, heroics, he scored 64 goals (at the time a Mortis record and still our =3rd best ever) and 59 assists (still our record) for an easy combined record of 123 – the next best is 110. So he has held 5 and still holds 4 all-time club records.
                              Last edited by Various Artist; 28-01-2021, 01:08.

Comment

Retani's career record is 10 reds and 49 yellows in 128 appearances. She's 27. Hulk, horse, header.

Comment

Ah, no the all-time stats are misleading here. For some reason I've never understood, when players leave a club their own-goal tally (on the player stats page) automatically resets to 0. That means it's only active players whose OG totals are reliable.

So, on the plus side, it does definitely mean that none of your current squad of 'Biters have ever scored an OG in their young careers. But it doesn't mean that none of the ones who went before them did.
                                  Yeah, that makes more sense.

I don't quite grasp why this one particular stat cannot be maintained in the all-time table, while other scoring stats can. How on earth did they design their data tables?

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                    Retani's career record is 10 reds and 49 yellows in 128 appearances. She's 27. Hulk, horse, header.
                                    That's, impressive.

Comment

I’m not sure I can live up to HO’s herculean effort for last Thursday’s roundup, but on the other hand I may not need to(!). As is so often the way, as we close in on the very end of the season the permutations that existed prior to Monday’s penultimate fixtures should have thinned down considerably as we get ready for the final hurrah (or indeed guzman) of OTF Season 61 today...

OTF League roundup for 25th January: Season 61 round 17

Division 3
                                      Well, having said the above, it’s not as cut and dried as all that.

A week ago Cods of War were surging to the D3 title on a wave of 25 points out of 27 – but in both of their last two games thet have trailed twice, come within an ace of losing each time and had to snatch a last-minute second equaliser for a draw. The scaly squadron have certainly been scrupulously fair in the promotion race, mind: after denying 3rd-placed rivals Littlewoods Legends all three points that way last Thursday, they did the same four days later at home to 4th-placed New Dresden in identical fashion, except for waiting until 91 rather than 90 was on the clock this time before Kalid Yarza headed his second of the day and third in two games – a crucial contribution perhaps from the 33-year-old who only had two goals to his name all season previously.

The Legends themselves had to nick a late Monday equaliser at home to Andromache FC (7th) to stay 2 points ahead of Dresden, but could still finish in 2nd spot as incumbents Wednesday de la Zouch dramatically crashed 2-1 at bottom club Pinewood Passers. Expensive late-season signing Jeronimo Vilas-Boas notched both Passers goals – to add to his debut four-timer a fortnight earlier, a haul that on its own matched the entire rest of their squad’s cumulative goalscoring from the whole campaign. JVB is now into the top 10 scorers for the division, despite his team having only just reached double-figures for the season.

The result won’t keep the Passers from finishing as the league’s worst team, but adds a little extra wrinkle to the (outstandingly-scripted) final day arrangements at the opposite end of the table.
                                      Wednesday are now three points behind the Cods and two goals worse off on GD, whereas a win of any sort of would have taken them top. However... since they host the leaders in Thursday’s concluding fixture and have the higher goal tally the same criterion still applies – win, by any margin, and they will overturn the Cods’ advantage on goals scored, at minimum.
                                      And, regardless of their Monday result, Weds are promoted – since, would you know it, there is also a 3rd v 4th showdown on the final day. Littlewoods host Dresden knowing a draw will send them up too but a loss will knock them down to 4th, yet since they are also 2 points behind Wednesday they will have half an eye on the game at the Benabeu: they can overhaul Weds with a win if the latter lose to Cods.

After all that, the remainder have little left to do this week. Nieuwegein Kneebiters clinched 5th on Monday with a 3-0 win at Veni Vici Vigata (9th), while Eintracht Midwest (6th) all but mathematically confirmed their finishing position too via an exciting 3-2 home win over Wharfedale Generals (8th) as they have a 3-point and 9-goal lead on rookies Andromache. The latter complete their debut season at Wharfedale, who are 2 points behind them and 2 ahead of VVV, so the Generals could yet finish anywhere from 7th to 9th depending on their own result and VVV’s against the suddenly unpredictable Passers.

Division 2

We already know the top 3 are going up here, so the attention is mostly on the other end where the relegation melee indeed thinned out a bit in the penultimate round.

Things have come down to the last relegation slot, as OWC Albion (9th) lost 2-0 on Monday at Steaua Bridge to confirm their demotion.
                                      They will accompany Brian Munchingflapjack (10th), whose wooden spoon was similarly confimed by a 3-1 loss at die Ambosse
                                      thanks to a Mario Mueller hat-trick. Flapjacks hitman Sture Damberg was sent off in the last minute – not quite putting him in the Dirtiest Players discussion, as it was his first red card in 98 career appearances.

The most important result of the day perhaps was a vital 1-0 win for The Gang Play Football at Tree Hill High, which vaulted the Gang two places to 6th and onto 21 points (-3 GD), dropping THH below the safety line to 8th instead on 19pts (-3 GD).
                                      Wensleydale Blues also slip one to 7th on 19pts (+1 GD) after a 2-0 home reverse to leaders Turd Division, in a game where serious injuries to Blues’ top forward Billy Mallerstang and Turds’ senior midfielder Mario Amberg could yet scupper either side’s final-day hopes.

The other big win was for Heffron Hendecagon, who have pulled out of their nosedive in the nick of time. Having fallen from 4th to 8th in a week, 7 days later the Aussies were right back up where they started after back-to-back 4-1 wins: over the Gang last Thursday then at FC Gloryhammer this Monday, to leapfrog the Hammers to 4th. This second victory also leaves them 5 points clear of the dropzone and hence safe with a game to spare, no mean turnabout for the Hendos who had suffered six straight defeats immediately prior.

Gloryhammer are left on 22pts (-6 GD) in 5th: superficially still on the edge of danger, with a final home game against a THH side three places but only three points behind them – but, fortunately for them, the two teams in between them are also facing off so the Hammers cannot be overtaken by all three.

Simply, then, The Gang host Wensleydale knowing a draw or better keeps them up. Lose, and they slide at least one place below the Blues – meaning they must then rely on THH not beating the Hammers or else they will slip a further one and through the trapdoor.

At the top, die Ambosse (3rd) cannot now win the title, at 4pts behind Turds (1st), but can play spoiler to the latter’s own trophy ambitions when they host them in their concluding fixture. Steaua (2nd) in contrast have a final trip to a Heffron side with unexpectedly nothing to play for. At 2pts but 12 goals behind the leaders they must win and hope Turds go down at the Anvils if they are to steal the crown.
                                      Last edited by Various Artist; 28-01-2021, 18:11.

Comment

Division 1
                                        Well, well. Leaders Eriskay Expression have taken their foot off the gas a little too much after securing promotion, following up their first defeat since opening day by conceding a late equaliser at home to Locomotiv Noj on Monday to draw 2-2.
                                        Over at the Ray Illingworth meanwhile a stoppage-time Rufus Brevity penalty completed a 2-0 Whoft Fluffopolis win over Zeugmaspor – which amazingly leaves the Fluffers level on both points (35) and GD (+14) with Expression, and behind by just a single goal on goals-scored (
                                        33-19 to 32-18).
                                        And on top of that, Hideous Towns are merely a point further back in 3rd after a 3-1 win at 10-man Hampshire Deers (8th), for whom captain Ledley Key received two bookings in the 70th and 75th minutes just after his side had fallen 2-1 down to a penalty and with the most vital few minutes of their campaign in front of them. Way to go, skipper. As a consequence of the defeat, Deers are relegated and Zeugma, four points better off, are safe despite their own loss.

The big remaining clash is between Hideous and Expression at the Waveney Bowl this evening, while the Deers host Fluffopolis at the Meadow:
                                        • If Towns win they overtake the Scots, but will only claim the title themselves if Whoft drop points at the relegated Deers.
                                        • If the Islanders can come away with a victory they clinch the title, provided Fluffopolis do not better their scoreline (see below). Likewise if both games end all square, though again see point (d.) below.
                                        • The Fluffers meanwhile will take the trophy if:
                                          • a.) they win their game and the other game is a Hideous win or a draw;
                                          • b.) they win their game, Eriskay also beat Hideous but Whoft win theirs by more goals;
                                          • c.) they win their game, Eriskay beat Hideous by the same margin but Whoft win theirs in a higher-scoring game – i.e. it ends 3-2 to the Fluffers compared with 2-1 to Expression, or 5-2 against a 3-0, etc.
                                          • d.) both games are drawn, and they have a higher-scoring draw than Eriskay and Hideous do.
                                        Same-margin wins where Whoft's is the higher-scoring game by exactly 1 goal per side (e.g. Whoft win 3-1 to Eriskay's 2-0), or a higher-scoring draw by 1 (e.g. 2-2 to 1-1), would leave them dead level with Expression: same points, same GD, same goals scored. If that does happen then total wins are the next tiebreaker – and we have Eriskay on 10-5-2 entering the final round of fixtures but Whoft on 11-2-4.
                                        [Corrected and simplified for clarity, with thanks to jdsx – see next posts down!]

Straightforward stuff in the basement battle, anyway, where Great Northern Railway’s 3-0 home thrashing of Athletico Deva saw the clubs switch places in the bottom two positions on GD. Both finish with further dead rubbers against, respectively, Zeugma and Banik Roystonov. Janik’s side efficiently dismantled Saltney Drawers 3-0 at Moje Zahrada to climb back ahead of Locomotiv Noj to 4th by a point, despite Noj’s draw on Eriskay. Banik can now not be caught by Saltney (6th), who are three points behind Locomotiv before travelling to the latter today; the Drawers need to win by 4 to overhaul Noj on GD for 5th place.
                                        Last edited by Various Artist; 28-01-2021, 18:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                          A higher-scoring draw by 1 (e.g. 2-2 to 1-1) would leave them dead level with Expression. If that does happen I’m not sure who would receive the trophy as I can’t remember if total wins or away records are the next tiebreaker after goals scored... and Whoft have more wins while Expression have the better away record!
                                          According to the rules:
                                          The teams in a series play each other twice, which means every team plays the other teams home and away. The position of teams in a series is decided as follows:
                                          1. Points.
                                          2. Goal difference.
                                          3. Goals scored.
                                          4 Wins.
                                          If all the above are equal the position is decided on the league table based on away games only.

Comment

Sorry about the lateness of the hour, I had to do this in dribs and drabs around other things...

OTF
                                            Dandy Town are OTF champions again, for the first time in seven seasons – the longest ever wait between trophies for the now 14-time title-winners-elect. They got over the line with a game to spare by dismissing outgoing champs Kernow Kensa 3-0 from 4 shots at the Stade Andy Liver, meaning the visitors could hand over the trophy on the spot. Town's win meant Croesoswallt Dragons were the last rival who could’ve taken the fight to the final day, but a youthful side put out at home to Four Candles showed Etienne had – as is a characteristic strength of his – decided pursuit was a lost cause and swiftly rechannelled all thoughts towards future development. The Dragons were beaten 3-0 and drop two places to 4th, with Candles up to 2nd on GD ahead of Vita Mortis, who rediscovered winning form too late against Csiki Monkeys (7th) after crucially dropping five out of six home points last week. Both sides however are left four points behind the Highwaymen with only a solitary game left.

Mortis had to come from behind to win 2-1, a result that leaves them needing to get a better result today at bottom side Rejects Redux than the Candles do at the Dandies in order to nick 2nd spot. The Dragons could yet nip back past both but face a trip to St Pancras Starmers, whose Monday demolition of Great Ouse Town by 5-0 at the Blue Fen lifted them to 6th ahead of the Monkeys on GD – and relegated Ouse. GOT will accompany the Rejects downwards, who are at least going down with a lot of fighting spirit as they are unbeaten in 6 despite still being bottom of the table. Their fourth draw in that run, a 1-1 at Berkshire Swine (8th), came after trailing for 76 minutes of the game.
                                            That equaliser threatens to pull the Swine through the trapdoor with them, as it leaves the Sty Council on 18 points and -8 GD, two points adrift of both the Monkeys and the Starmers and with a worse GD by 5 and by 11 respectively. Sits’ side’s failure to win means Kensa in 5th are now safe, so it is a three-way battle to avoid the last relegation slot. The Swine do host already-doomed Ouse, but even a win will not be enough if the Starmers (at home to the Dragons) and the Monkeys (at home to Kensa) can get a point apiece against opponents with nothing but pride left to play for.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                                              According to the rules:
                                              The teams in a series play each other twice, which means every team plays the other teams home and away. The position of teams in a series is decided as follows:
                                              1. Points.
                                              2. Goal difference.
                                              3. Goals scored.
                                              4 Wins.
                                              If all the above are equal the position is decided on the league table based on away games only.
                                              Thanks mate, I should've just gone and looked it up but I rather cherished how my forgetfulness was keeping the D1 title race situation poised on even more of a knife-edge than it already was!

My equivocation was, I think, because it seems like teams exactly level on points and goals tend to also have the same WDL record, so more often that not the tiebreaker does default to away records. It was only due to the fact that 'most total wins' had been the tiebreaker somewhere else relatively recently, when I wasn't quite expecting it, that had reminded me step 4 there is even a thing. So I was able to dimly recall that, no, total wins probably counts ahead of best away record, but overall I've run across this situation too rarely for it to have stuck in my mind.

I suppose it's since most X11 seasons are quite short, certainly compared with real-world ones – so the number of permutations of WDL tallies that lead to teams having the same points (e.g. 8-1-5 = 25pts, 6-7-1 = 25pts) is both relatively low, and relatively unlikely to also result in them finishing dead level on goals.

Here, though, we had Eriskay on 10-5-2 and Whoft on 11-2-4 entering the final round of fixtures on 35 points apiece and, respectively, 33-19 (+14) and 32-18 (+14).

Fortunately, after all that, having checked out today's classified results I can say that the battle for the title there didn't let us down...
                                              Last edited by Various Artist; 28-01-2021, 18:00.

Comment

"X11 will be down from 22.30 - 23.00 (CET) for an update! (New game viewer beta will be deployed together with other updates)"

Is this something to be excited about? It's been years since there was one.

Comment

The following things have changed:
                                                  Youth Academy odds change
                                                  Lowering evaluation costs (scales slower, max is still 250k)
                                                  Changing DV from 20 to -10 +10
                                                  Lowering injury frequency some, length and severity is scaled to season length
                                                  Increased compatibility change after games
                                                  Lower ability to create chances for defensive and very defensive playing styles
                                                  New Game Viewer in HTML5 (beta version) !
                                                  I'm the opposite of excited. Changes 1, 2, 4, and 5 just make the game easier for everyone, which benefits noone. Change 3 makes DV more difficult to compare with AF, which is its main use case for me; apparently this change will become an option from which one can opt out, much like the new tactics screen. Change 6 seems fair enough. Change 7 is good for people who use this functionality (this includes me, occasionally), since the old version relied on Flash which is aggressively discontinued (as in: the old Game Viewer no longer worked).

I created a poll thread to the Xpert Eleven "Ideas and Suggestions" subforum to poke fun at the ever-continuing requests for making the game give me what I want, all the time.

Comment

Oh that injuries change is shit. Injuries are great in terms of mixing things up and making you devise different tactics. Lowering eval costs is OK though. I don't understand the DV one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X