X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    I'll happily rejoin if there's space, he seems like a decent admin and I've just noticed who two of his assistants are.

That's the Xpert Zone obviously.
    Definitely do it. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time back in the XZ now that those..... I'll be kind here and say previous admins, are now gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
      It's not a random draw Antepli, you'll be against United Underground.
      I couldn't work out from the seedings. Thanks for clarifying and nice to see you back on here.

Comment

Thanks.

MLX is pretty simple to work out who plays who in the postseason - winner of the top match plays winner of the bottom match, winner of second top plays winner of the second bottom etc.

Comment

Exactly, you can always just work your way from the 'outside' of the brackets in towards the middle of the list, pairing off the uppermost and bottommost as you go. So, yeah, it's you and me again AE unfortunately...! A fine turnout from the OTF contingent overall, though, and I can't really begrudge Ape his place there either. Wide open for the title then

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
            Exactly, you can always just work your way from the 'outside' of the brackets in towards the middle of the list, pairing off the uppermost and bottommost as you go. So, yeah, it's you and me again AE unfortunately...! A fine turnout from the OTF contingent overall, though, and I can't really begrudge Ape his place there either. Wide open for the title then
            We were the bottom seeds so getting to the semis is a major achievement, I'm guessing that prior tournament experience must have helped me or am I over thinking this?

With one of my three decent midfielders out I'm genuinely not in the races here, development value is the aim.

Comment

development value is the aim.
              Loving those mind games, AE!

Comment

Hahaha, yeah I'll hold you to that AE! And you're not getting one over on me that way you know, I'm fire-forged when it comes to mindgames as I've just spent the entire season in the Heineken League engaged in them with RichardSP over the Premiership title...

I jest, of course, because Rich and I were both being incredibly obvious about it – it was a fun game trying to top each other's efforts each week at grandiose self-effacement and vigorously bigging each other up as title favourites.

I mean, there was more than a kernel of truth in mine, insofar as I legitimately didn't see how we could beat them to the championship over a full season – whereas I can't speak for Richard in this regard, though heaven knows the Saints have finished narrowly 2nd enough times that he must surely feel genuinely fatalistic about it to some extent.

So I suppose I lost in a way, in the end, in that we won the title... thereby proving him more correct in his self-deprecation. I'll take that, though!

Oh, and did I mention United Underground had a key defender crocked today? Hobbled our chances I reckon, we've got little chance of going all the way now...

Comment

We were the bottom seeds so getting to the semis is a major achievement, I'm guessing that prior tournament experience must have helped me or am I over thinking this?
                  All joking aside, during Underground's lengthy run of success in showpiece games I've long speculated 'in character' (i.e. press releases and the like) that my senior players' unparallelled wealth of 'big match experience' must surely be the difference-maker in all those tight knockout ties. After all, we've reached 18 major finals (9 league, 9 cup) across 28 seasons so players like Larry Leyton, Quentin Queensway, Ernest Euston, Thierry Theydon Bois, Floyd Fairlop and Wouter Waterloo ended up playing in 6, 7, 8, 9... of those. You'd think that ought to count for something, when things got to the sharp end.

This was of course mostly tongue-in-cheek – wearing my rational head I know that this can't make any actual difference, unless it's subtly coded into the game in some way we're unaware of. But on some level there might be a genuine effect, if only because we as 'managers' really have been in the same situation before multiple times – even if our 'players' aren't actually walking out on the Xpert Arena turf for the umpteenth occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                    Etienne , Various Artist , Sits
                    ​​​​​​​Hope you don't mind but I've put a message in scribble on the relevant leagues message board. I will delete if you would prefer that I didn't.
                    More power to your elbow Sean, always welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post

Loving those mind games, AE!
                      Have you not seen my squad?

Of course I want to win and get one over on Valv but its not going to happen so I'll settle for development values.

Unless...

No, development values it is.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post

Definitely do it. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time back in the XZ now that those..... I'll be kind here and say previous admins, are now gone.
                        Application sent, hopefully it'll be approved and I can start the silly season from scratch.

Comment

OTF Season 61 Round 14 Round-Up

OTF
                          Just as Dandy Town seemed to be making a decisive move towards their 14th title, they have been pulled back towards the chasing pack as a result of a 2-0 defeat at Rejects Redux. There had been only one chance created all game until Christopher Belemgoto and Noel Colbourne scored in the final ten minutes for the Rejects, who remain bottom, their recent impressive revival looking like it has come too late to save them from the drop. With the Dandies losing, a win at home to Great Ouse Town could have taken Croesoswallt Dragons to the top, but they failed to trouble their relegation-threatened visitors and had to make do with a 0-0 draw. They ended the day in 3rd, overtaken by Vita Mortis, who were the only one of the top seven to win. Mortis' 2-0 success at St Pancras Starmers, courtesy of headers from strike pair Edmond Bleuet and Lance Porter, takes them to within a point of the Dandies and pushes the Starmers into the relegation zone, just ahead of Ouse. Climbing out of the bottom three for the first time all season are Berkshire Swine, who put an end to Kernow Kensa's winning run, and surely also to their hopes of defending their title, with a 2-0 win in Cornwall thanks to first goals of the season from Cristofao Edilson and teenage striker Helmuth Seiffert. Elsewhere, 4th-placed Four Candles are four points behind the leaders after a goalless draw at AFC Csiki Monkeys, who move up a place to 6th but are only a point clear of the relegation places.

DIVISION 1
                          A 2-1 win at Zeugmaspor takes Eriskay Expression to within touching distance of promotion, nine points clear of 4th place with four games to go. Two goals in three minutes early in the second half were enough to see off the hosts, who remain 7th, now three points ahead of the drop zone. Behind Eriskay, both Hideous Towns and Whoft Fluffopolis boosted their promotion hopes with 2-0 wins. Towns' success was a crucial one, at home to 4th-placed Banik Roystonov, with Espen Holkestad heading home crosses from Per-Erik Hoelseth at the end of each half. Burt St Tropez and Dexter Sprockett were on target for the Fluffers against bottom side Great Northern Railway, whose cause appears lost now that they are ten points from safety. Saltney Drawers and Locomotiv Noj, in 5th and 6th, are not out of the promotion race but their chances took a hit as they were both held to home draws by sides in the relegation places. Saltney's game with Hampshire Deers ended goalless, while Noj needed a late strike from Angelos Zavadis to take a point from their clash with Athletico Deva.

DIVISION 2
                          None of the day's home teams managed a goal, which was good news for the top three, who were all away winners. Steaua Bridge will be particularly pleased, as their 2-0 victory at The Gang Play Football clinches their return to Division 1. Almost as chuffed are Turd Division, whose 3-0 success at OWC Albion - the division's top scorer Glaucio Casqueira setting them on their way with his 10th of the season - all but secures their promotion. Albion are 9th, with a five-point gap to make up on the teams outside of the relegation zone. Die Ambosse are also almost up after Davide Planceret and Mario Muller both found the target from distance in their win at Heffron Hendecagon, whose fifth consecutive defeat sees them slump to 6th. Tree Hill High take over Heffron's 4th spot but they are 10 points adrift of die Ambosse following their 0-0 draw at Wensleydale Blues, who stay 8th, two points behind The Gang. Up to 5th go FC Gloryhammer with a 3-0 win at Brian Munchingflapjack, a result that condemns the Flapjacks to an immediate return to Division 3.

DIVISION 3
                          A stoppage-time header from substitute Kalid Yarza gave Cods of War a 1-0 home win over Pinewood Passers, taking the angry angling victims ever closer to promotion. The Passers are seven points adrift at the bottom, their expensive new recruits looking unlikely to save them from the wooden spoon. Wednesday de la Zouch stay four points behind the Cods after overturning a 2-1 deficit to beat mid-tablers Eintracht Midwest 4-2, the league's top scorer Ruben Guapo netting two more to take his season's tally to 15. Littlewoods Legends, in 3rd, seem fully recovered from their mid-season blip, registering an important 2-0 win at 5th-placed Nieuwegein Kneebiters, to stay four points clear of New Dresden, who were convincing 4-1 winners at Wharfedale Generals. Immediately below the Generals, Andromache FC and Veni Vici Vigata swapped places, the former moving up to 8th thanks to a 3-1 victory over the latter, with Bartholomew Winstanley on target twice.

Comment

Application sent, hopefully it'll be approved and I can start the silly season from scratch.
                            And accepted. Is it just 5 of us in the league? MJ, Foxy and the two assistants.

Comment

I'm in the Xpert Zone. I'm assuming Sean and VA are the assistants as they both have teams too.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                I'm in the Xpert Zone. I'm assuming Sean and VA are the assistants as they both have teams too.
                                Of course you are, missed you off my mental list. Apologies

Comment

I’d be there but I culled, and I’m not un-culling again. The Xpert Ladies Vortex has just done its thing, and I am no longer paying for extra teams. First time in years.

Comment

I have a team in the Xpert Zone, too.

Stavanger Toestub have just been promoted into Semi-Pro Zone C, where we look seriously out of our depth.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                                      I have a team in the Xpert Zone, too.

Stavanger Toestub have just been promoted into Semi-Pro Zone C, where we look seriously out of our depth.
                                      Found and fanned.

Comment

And by me as well.

Comment

The official Ladies League Season 61 limbers up with the Cup. And these specific ties for our sides.

Round 1 draw - first listed teams home in opening leg
                                          Code:
                                          Bad Intentions (6:43)          vs   Csiki Girls
                                          Bergamo Regazza (6:42)         vs   Drakaina
                                          Cinghiali                      vs   AS Ninfas (6:26)
                                          Dublin City Womens FC          vs   Gehenna Hot Pants (6:32)
                                          FCPK Herttarouva (6:31)        vs   Bombay Green Rockets
                                          F.C Heartbreakers (6:33)       vs   Hazeldean Inchmistress
                                          Invisible Ladies               vs   PK Soerabaya (6:13)
                                          The ladies of the past (5:12)  vs   Cassiopeia
                                          Los Angeles Galaxy (6:37)      vs   LNWR Locomotive
                                          Podgora Panthers (6:45)        vs   Menywod Maeshafn
                                          ASU Politehnica                vs   Tomtemors Medhj?lpare (6:18)
                                          Racing 92 da Feira (6:24)      vs   Coxy Ladies Wulpen
                                          FC Sbrodj (6:8)                vs   Viking South Utsira
                                          Skol Club (6:8)                vs   Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                                          Stone Island Swifts Fc (5:19)  vs   Rising Stars
                                          Ullapool Northern Star         vs   Caramba Girls (6:48)
                                          Wanita Dara Pilihan (6:63)     vs   Mauchline Belles
                                          Zeugma Dostluk Spor            vs   Angel Delights FC (6:37)
                                          Prior to Csiki Girls launching into Division 5:31, which is parallel to 5:32 which they occupied last year, the Transylvanians will take on Bad Intentions of Division 6:43 in the Cup. The first leg is on the road for the Csikis.
                                          Also on their travels are Drakaina, who have stayed in Division 1a across the season break. The Dragons kick off the new campaign at Bergamo Regazza of Division 6:42.
                                          A new name for a new Division for Cinghiali, who have dropped the ‘I’ ahead of their assault on Division 5:13. The Boars will also go head-to-head with AS Ninfas in the Cup. Cinghiali will be massive favourites for the game despite being the lower seeds as not only are Ninfas from the bottom tier, Division 6:26, they are also zombies.
                                          Another OTFer at home to a lower tier opponent are Dublin City Womens FC. The Irish side, newly installed in Division 5:28, face Gehenna Hot Pants, who are down in Division 6:32 these days.
                                          Bombay Green Rockets will be looking to change level for the fourth consecutive season when they try and leave the other Division 6:43 in their exhaust. Before that barbeque, they will try and make a fellow seventh tier side, FCPK Herttarouva of Division 6:31 crispy. The Rockets are away from home in the opening leg.
                                          A sideways shift for Hazeldean Inchmistress who will try their luck at Division 6:40 rather than 6:41 this season. The Imperials are also playing a Division 6 side in the Cup, F.C Heartbreakers of 6:33. The Heartbreakers are zombies.
                                          Invisible Ladies have stolen up a tier to be in Division 5:21 this season. In the Cup The See-Throughs get a blast from the very recent past as they take on a bottom tier side, PK Soerabaya of Division 6:13. The first clash is at The San Seethrough.
                                          A side moving the other way were Cassiopeia, who will attempt to bounce back from their relegation by winning Division 6:53. The Cup may not be a priority for The Vainglories, but a win over Division 5:12 outfit The ladies of the past would be a good confidence boost. Cassiopeia are the higher seeds for the tie, so will host the second leg.
                                          LNWR Locomotive are shifted one platform over this season as they depart from Division 5:16 rather than 5:17. The Steamers journey in the Cup starts at the other end of the tracks when they visit Los Angeles Galaxy, who are in Division 6:37 and without a manager (Phil Neville may be interested).
                                          Most OTF sides are in somewhat new surrounds this season, but not Menywod Maeshafn who continue in Division 5:28. Where they will be joined by Dublin City this season. In the Cup the North Walians are also going across the sea as they head to Dalmatia first up to take on Division 6:45 outfit Podgora Panthers.
                                          Following their play-off win, ASU Politehnica find themselves alongside Invisible Ladies again, i.e. they have both been promoted to Division 5:21. Despite having higher status than Tomtemors Medhj?lpare of Division 6:18, The Scholars are the lower seeds for this one and will host the opening leg in Timisoara.
                                          Coxy Ladies Wulpen have shuffled across to Division 3e after last season’s skin-of-their-teeth escape from relegation from 3d. In the Cup The Waders will be flying away for their first match to visit Racing 92 da Feira of Division 6:24.
                                          Talking of Division 3e, that is also where we will find Viking South Utsira this season after The Blood Eagles promotion. The league was where it was at for the North Sea Islanders last season with the Cup being underwhelming. The attempt to make both successful this term starts at zombies FC Sbrodj of Division 6:8.
                                          Do we have three OTF sides in Division 3e, then?? Sadly no, because Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC, who were there last season, find themselves in Division 3f this term. Boo! They do have one thing in common with Viking though – their Cup run this term will start at a zombie side from Division 6:8, Skol Club in The Sea Spirits case.
                                          The biggest lateral shift of the closed season sees Rising Stars swap Division 6:33 for 6:37 (have you changed location, Blamb?). The Stars Cup campaign begins with two matches against Stone Island Swifts Fc of Division 5:19. Despite Rising being the in the lower tier they are the higher seeds, and so the Ascension Arena will host the second leg.
                                          After promotion Ullapool Northern Star will play the season in Division 5:19. The first match in that will come after initially playing host to Division 6:48 outfit Caramba Girls in the Cup, which is a tie Polaris will have high hopes of upsetting the seedings in.
                                          After three seasons engineering ever more improbable escapes from relegation from Division 2b, Mauchline Belles will see if things are less heartstopping in a parallel league this season as they swap to 2c. Before The Belles get around to that though, there is the first leg of their Cup match at Wanita Dara Pilihan of Division 6:63.
                                          One last new location up a tier to note as Zeugma Dostluk Spor return to the sixth tier, specifically Division 5:26. In the Cup ZDS take on a side from the rung they have left behind, Angel Delights FC of Division 6:37 coming to Insan Haklari Stadyumu for the season’s first competitive match.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                            The biggest lateral shift of the closed season sees Rising Stars swap Division 6:33 for 6:37 (have you changed location, Blamb?).
                                            Yes. At some point in the previous season I realised my X11 location was still Buckinghamshire rather than Hampshire, despite me moving approximately 7 years ago. I was surprised that the Division shift was that significant, but I have noticed a fellow dweller of this county there, plus two from Herts and Kent (2), one from Glocs and one from the Scottish Highlands!

Comment

Occasional Human League Report - Season 24, Match Day 16

*taps mic* Is this thing still on? Oh, hey! We're heading into the final week of the season in The Human League, and because promotion/relegation scenario-drawing is like seeing Christmas presents under the tree but not being allowed to open them (or is that just me?) what better time is there to check in?

The Human League

Championship Race

1. Eintracht Eindhoven (9-6-1, 33 points, 30-11 GF-GA)

With one week to go, Eintracht Eindhoven is sitting in the catbird's seat. The key has been a dominant goalkeeper in Yvonne Haag, whose 77% save percentage is near a career-high, who has recorded 6 clean sheets, and who has made 9 X11 teams. Four points will secure the championship. Three puts them in excellent shape, but won't be a guarantee against hot-on-their-heels Just Plain Random. They play Sandringham Park at home and ?thelfl?d on the road; they beat the former and lost to the latter the first time around.

2. Just Plain Random (9-3-4, 30 points, 38-27 GF-GA)

The Randoms have the top flight's leading offense led by C?cile Carignan--Sworn Enemy Of Nets Everywhere--and her 12 goals and 3 assists. But a 5-1 loss and 1-1 draw to the league leaders are opportunities they would like to have back, and the 27 goals they've allowed have been absolutely killer. With Kernewek Ladies on the road and Holkham Forest at home, they have the chance to run the goal differential back up--they trail Eintracht Eindhoven in that category by 8. However, they will still need help even if Carignan sees a goal as wide as an ocean; even if they manage to overcome the differential, they still need the leaders to drop 3 points. Without it, they'd have to drop 4.

3. Lysistrata (9-2-5, 29 points, 27-15 GF-GA)

A home draw to Sandringham Park may prove costly, as they slide to four points back of the league lead with two to go. If Park can't replicate the same feat at minimum on Wednesday at Eintracht Eindhoven (is Eintracht the proper shortening here? Is Eindhoven?), then Lysistrata will be eliminated. But even if they do get some good fortune there, they will need to get through ?thelfl?d on the road to even have a shot entering the final Saturday against Kernewek Ladies.

4. ?thelfl?d (8-5-3, 29 points, 22-17 GF-GA)

?thelfl?d, meanwhile, has both the hardest road and the biggest reward. They do not control their own destiny. Five points off the lead with two matches to play is a longshot under the best of circumstances. They're probably a home underdog to Lysistrata, and of course Eintracht Eindhoven is a favorite against Sandringham Park. But a pair of upsets there could close the gap to two points with a home finale against Eintracht Eindhoven last on the docket--and ?thelfl?d won the road matchup, which makes that match the greatest source of intrigue remaining. ?thelfl?d is also less likely to benefit than Just Plain Random.

Out But Not Down

5. Suffragette City (5-10-1, 25 points, 25-17 GF-GA)

The Suffragettes fell out of title contention because they drew everything instead of winning, but they are also in no danger of relegation because they drew everything instead of losing. They are the first team to draw 10 top-flight matches in a season in 15 years--M?rkische M?dels did the same in season 9, and no one has drawn more than 10 times at the top level since the current 18-game schedule was adopted. They finish at home against Holkham Forest and Bad Erdely.

6. Holkham Forest (5-7-4, 22 points, 20-21 GF-GA)

Holkham Forest closes with a pair of road tests at Suffragette City and Just Plain Random, and the latter means they may have an opportunity to play spoiler in the title race. Maybe. Probably not. But maybe. If they do, look out for defender Karin Huldenaar: she's been a menace on defense but has also charged forward to score 5 goals this season, nearly matching her prior 12 seasons combined.

Relegation Race

7. Sandringham Park (5-4-7, 19 points, 18-24 GF-GA)

A five-point lead is very much to Sandringham Park's advantage--but it's about the least secure five-point lead possible. On Wednesday, they will take on first-place Eintracht Eindhoven on the road while Monstrous Regiment plays last-place Bad Erdely at home. If both of those matches go as expected, both teams on either side of the line will head to Dersingham Common with everything on the line. The magic number here is two points--a win or draw against Monstrous Regiment, or a Monstrous Regiment draw or loss against Bad Erdely means security.

8. Monstrous Regiment (2-8-6, 14 points, 14-22 GF-GA)

Similarly, Monstrous Regiment has an opportunity to steal a survival spot with their closing argument. They've had Suffragette's draw-itis in spades this year--2 wins to 8 draws. They cannot afford to drop any points at all, so finding a way to turn those draws into wins down the stretch is as crucial as it is elusive. Doesn't help that their home match against Sandringham Park was a 2-0 defeat.

Relegated

9. Kernewek Ladies (1-4-11, 7 points, 11-30 GF-GA)

The first of two teams whose relegation is assured, Kernewek Ladies can always look back on their road win over ?thelfl?d in the fourth match of the season. With Just Plain Random and Lysistrata left to play, they can hope to channel that upset magic again--and maybe play spoiler in the title race. They are 0-1-6 in the second half of the season so far, so a strong finish would perhaps allow the team to start next season in Division 1 on a better foot.

10. Bad Erdely (2-1-13, 7 points, 11-32 GF-GA)

In 10th on goal differential, Bad Erdely could easily move up a slot in the final days. They're on the road, where a draw at Monstrous Regiment could secure the latter's relegation in a taking-you-with-me type moment. That's their better opportunity to pick up a result, as Suffragette City will bring a stronger offense with them. Or maybe it won't, because they might just draw them just because.

Match Day 6 title prediction: Just Plain Random (currently in 2nd)
                                              Match Day 6 bold prediction: Suffragette City in 2nd after December 26th (incorrect)
                                              Current title prediction: Eintracht Eindhoven

Comment

Division 1

Promoted

1. Mon Mothmas Legends (10-4-2, 34 points, 27-10 GF-GA)

The Rebel Alliance boasts the one Division 1 squad that's mathematically guaranteed promotion, eight points up on fourth-place AIF Damlag heading into the final week. Oddly, they'll be more relevant in the relegation race (as a spoiler) (or would that count as a savior?) than the promotion race as home matches against Capel Bethesda and Warriors of Ashra close out their schedule. They drew both teams the first time around, and a single win would lock up first place. A burst from Eva Mendes (9 goals, 3 assists) could secure that early.

Promotion Race

2. Bute Buccaneers (8-6-2, 30 points, 19-9 GF-GA)

The Bucs are unbeaten in their last eight and already have a 2-0 win at AIF Damlag in hand. Those are good signs ahead of their crucial rematch on Wednesday. A win means promotion, regardless of everything else. A draw would assure them of a higher placement than AIF Damlag and reduce their magic number over Palmeiras Ladies to 1. What they can't afford to do is lose outright, which would leave them sweating heading into the road finale at Capel Bethesda. If Rowena Saunderson continues her incredible run--8 clean sheets and an 85% save percentage for the season, 2 goals allowed in the last eight matches--then there's nothing to worry about.

3. Mermaids FC (8-5-3, 29 points, 31-19 GF-GA)

The division's most potent offense currently holds the third promotion spot, needing to net four points to clinch a return to the top flight for the first time in a dozen years when they were GirlsLikeUs FC. Their path is straightforward: they host the Chapelizod Hornets and go on the road to play FC Boifica--they've already beaten both teams and both are in the relegation zone. They'll be shorthanded without Ulla Elverland (suspension) on Wednesday and Juno Dawson is questionable, but Miranda Hollingdale is fit to play and no one's had an answer for her this year.

4. AIF Damlag (7-5-4, 26 points, 20-13 GF-GA)

The above makes it clear that AIF Damlag is in a predicament: they probably have to play perfect football from here on out. They have to beat second-place Bute Buccaneers on the road, short defender Frances Walker and midfielder Jeanette Wallenstr?m. If they do that, they have to come back home and knock off Depok City, who held them to a draw in the opener. Even if they get all six points, they'll still be short if the teams above them take care of business against relegation-bound teams. They're tied for the lowest average age in Division 1, though, so they will surely be a favorite for promotion next year.

5. Palmeiras Ladies (7-4-5, 25 points, 23-19 GF-GA)

Between Ans Stuitje and Julia Raymond, a rough season in goal has largely put Palmeiras Ladies behind the 8-ball. They picked up three wins and a draw over the three promotion-track teams, but losses to Depok City and FC Boifica right now are the difference between stability and promotion. However, they're at home in their final two against Depok City and Chapelizod Hornets, which gives them a slim chance to play catch-up. They can reach 31 points (not with ease, but it's plausible), but hoping that Bute Buccaneers, Mermaids FC, and even AIF Damlag will all fall short of 31 is a long shot. Goal differential is not their friend.

Relegation Race

6. Depok City (5-5-6, 20 points, 17-20 GF-GA)

Depok City is very likely to be safe. They have a 6-point advantage and a healthy goal differential over both 7th and 8th place. Even if they don't pick up another point on the road at Palmeiras Ladies or AIF Damlag, they would need both of the next two teams to play perfectly the rest of the way and even C-3PO ain't about to calculate those odds. However, this is an aging squad, the second-oldest in the division. They've worked their youth players into the lineup, and we'll see this week to what degree that trend continues.

7. Warriors of Ashra (2-8-6, 14 points, 12-21 GF-GA)

Good news: They get to play last-place FC Boifica at home in their next match. Bad news: they have to play first-place Mon Mothmas Legends on the road on Saturday. Medium news: they drew both of those opponents the first time around. Ashra are the draw-happiest of the second division; that's been the result of half their matches and the source of the majority of their points. If they're gonna earn the last safe spot, they need to find a way to score: they've found the back of the net twice in the last nine matches, none of which have been wins and four of which were draws at nil.

8. Chapelizod Hornets (3-5-8, 14 points, 10-20 GF-GA)

The Hornets finish their season on the road, taking on Mermaids FC and Palmeiras Ladies consecutively. Their four-match midseason run is what's given them a shot here: they drew FC Boifica, beat Depok City twice, then beat FC Boifica. Outside of that, they have struggled: four draws (including one to Warriors of Ashra on Saturday) and no other wins. This last week will be an uphill battle as they lost to their upcoming opponents by a combined 6-1 margin at home the first time around. They're a pretty serious underdog, but at present they still only trail Warriors of Ashra in goal differential, and even there it's by 1 goal.

9. Capel Bethesda (2-7-7, 13 points, 10-22 GF-GA)

As tough as the Hornets' finishing stretch is, Capel Bethesda's is worse. They have to play first-place Mon Mothmas Legends on the road, then second-place Bute Buccaneers at home. That said, they drew against both of them the first time around and a pair of draws would put the pressure on their relegation rivals at least. They looked virtually assured of taking the drop until suddenly accumulating 7 points in their last three matches--and they hold an active two-match winning streak. IsBethesdaDeadYet? Maybe not quite.

10. FC Boifica (1-5-10, 8 points, 8-24 GF-GA)

They are not technically eliminated yet, but it would take an extremely improbable confluence of events for FC Boifica to earn the six points and 7-goal differential gap that they would need to jump to seventh place while everyone else fails to secure even a single point (or two points in Capel Bethesda's case). They can at least help their own cause on Wednesday when they go on the road to play the Warriors of Ashra. With an active four-match goal drought, it's a tall task--but the reward has a high ceiling. They could be mathematically alive heading into the final day, where Mermaids FC is likely to send them down anyway.

Match Day 6 promotion prediction: Bute Buccaneers (2nd), AIF Damlag (4th), Palmeiras Ladies (5th)
                                                Match Day 6 bold prediction: Mermaids FC leads Division 1 in goals scored and goals allowed by at least 5 each (leading in GF by 4, GA is now close to league average)
                                                Current promotion prediction: Mon Mothmas Legends (clinched), Bute Buccaneers, Mermaids FC

Comment

Division 2

Promotion Race

1. Power Girls F.C. (11-4-1, 37 points, 33-8 GF-GA)

With a road win over Bene Gesserit, Power Girls have been able to earn some separation from the unrelenting pack behind them. They are five points ahead of fourth, so it'll only take two points to secure promotion to Division 1. They ought to be able to pick up three at home against FC Zidane at home on Wednesday--though they drew the first time around. If not, though, then they may be sweating it out on the final day at home against second-place Hazers. Though they also drew that match in the opener, so just replicating those two results would be enough.

2. Hazers (10-4-2, 34 points, 37-9 GF-GA)

Meanwhile, the Hazers are facing some big-time hazing at the end of the season. A road finale against Power Girls is hard enough, but before they even do that they have to host third-place Empire State Humans on Wednesday. They are just two points clear of safety, so their margin for error is minimal. Momentum is firmly on their side, though: they are unbeaten in their last 12, and their last five matches have seen them outscore their foes 17-2 with a 4-1-0 record.

3. Empire State Humans (10-2-4, 32 points, 38-11 GF-GA)

After going on the road to take on Hazers, Empire State comes home to finish their season against the Rock River Ravens. The division's most prolific offense carried them to a pair of 3-0 wins against those foes in the season's early-going, so the continued scoring escapades of Botilda Ad?n, Carla Rowley, and Vera Carepa are their best chance to move up. They control their own destiny due to the head-to-head Hazers test, but a single stumble leaves them vulnerable.

4. Ankh-Morpork FK (9-5-2, 32 points, 32-9 GF-GA)

Ankh-Morpork FK will watch the Hazers-Empire State (and Hazers-Power Girls) matchup with great interest, because a win would guarantee that they tie or pass one of them in points on Wednesday. Given that they are playing Velik Vikings FF, a win is virtually guaranteed despite the upset home loss to Rock River Ravens last Saturday. They will certainly find themselves with a chance on the final day as they take on Zeugma Demir ?elik SK at home in the finale.

5. Bene Gesserit FC (8-6-2, 30 points, 29-7 GF-GA)

A draw to Empire State Humans and a home loss to Power Girls FC represent an ill-timed blow to the Black Dragons' promotion hopes. The bad news is that they are two points back of third, meaning they could win both of their remaining matches by an arbitrary amount and still come up short. The good news is that their remaining opponents are the Velik Vikings and Arizona Cardinals, who are not making any effort to be competitive this season. They ought to finish at 36 points with a competitive goal differential, and they will have to hope two teams ahead of them fall short.

Out But Not Down

6. Zeugma Demir ?elik SK (6-3-7, 21 points, 25-17 GF-GA)

Zeugma Demir ?elik SK is safe from relegation, and they will finish either 6th or 7th without a doubt. The main difference between them and Rock River Ravens is that they've been stingier on defense with 17 goals allowed to 23; credit anchors of Rezzan Zarif at keeper and Rabia ?zg?r at defender. They will get a head-to-head matchup with Rock River on Wednesday, which gives them the chance to clinch sixth with a win. But with a lot of developmental prospects in the fold, it's also likely that they'll play for the future--which is good news for Saturday opponent Ankh-Morpork FK.

7. Rock River Ravens (6-1-9, 19 points, 25-23 GF-GA)

Meanwhile, the Poe-rifically alliterative Rock River Ravens are safe from relegation, nine points up. They earned that with back-to-back 2-0 road wins over Velik Vikings and Ankh-Morpork, and they've actually won 4 of 6 after starting 2-1-7. Every win they've had has been a shutout; the issue is that they have given up 23 goals this season in the other 11 matches. They have a lot of young defenders--six of seven are 23 or younger--so that unit's growth will shape the club's future writ large.

Relegated

8. Fc Zidane (1-7-8, 10 points, 6-23 GF-GA)

They haven't won since their opener against the Arizona Cardinals. They've scored just two goals since then, and none since December 16th. With their longtime manager having resigned after that win and their replacement manager failing to stick around, the only question is whether they're still good enough to beat Arizona after they get crushed by Power Girls FC on Wednesday.

Relegated With Extreme Prejudice

9. Velik Vikings FF (0-4-12, 4 points, 1-49 GF-GA)

They are in the early stages of a total roster replacement with exactly two players older than the age of 18. They scored once in their second match and have not replicated the feat since then. They lost that one 6-1. Their four points came from scoreless draws against relegation teams.

10. Arizona Cardinals (0-2-14, 2 points, 0-70 GF-GA)

They haven't scored a goal and haven't deserved to either. But unlike the Vikings, they only even have a few young players. They have as many players aged 29 or older (5) as players aged 23 or younger (5). So, not really sure what the plan is here. They play FC Zidane in the finale, which may resemble a football match.

Match Day 6 promotion prediction: Empire State Humans (3rd), Ankh-Morpork FK (4th), Bene Gesserit FC (5th)
                                                  Match Day 6 bold prediction: There will be a true three-team race for the final promotion spot heading into the final three matches of the season. (Nailed it!)
                                                  Current promotion prediction: Power Girls FC, Hazers, Ankh-Morpork FK

Comment

Division 3

Promoted

1. East-on-Hy (10-5-1, 35 points, 25-9 GF-GA)

More like First-on-High, am I right? Huh? Ahem. Anyway, the first-place squad has not only clinched promotion, but only needs to net one point to lock up first overall in the division. Their offense is one goal off the league lead, their defense has allowed 5 fewer goals than anyone else, and if they can beat Braceby Ladies at home then they will have won at least once against everyone in the division. They could play spoiler to Braceby's promotion hopes and to Zanarkand Abes' relegation fears in the final week.

Promotion Race

2. Konak Belediyespor (9-2-5, 29 points, 26-18 GF-GA)

They were cruising toward promotion heading into last Wednesday. Then, a 1-0 loss to East-on-Hy followed by a 5-0 rout at Braceby injected juuuuust a bit of uncertainty. They are still in the catbird's seat: a win over Zanarkand Abes on Wednesday or a draw against Les Sangliers on Saturday would still be enough to clinch promotion. If Salwa Emami (7 goals, 4 assists) can get this division-leading offense on the board early, then Ummagumma's veterans can relax and put on some Pink Floyd while the young'uns clean up.

3. Penelope Pittsburgh (8-3-5, 27 points, 24-15 GF-GA)

Penelope Pittsburgh's another team that was cruising--but lately, it feels more like they're running up that hill. Their last five matches have seen them go 0-1-4. The encouraging news: three of their losses came by one goal and only one came by shutout. They've been in it every time. The discouraging news: four of them came against opponents they drew or beat the first time around, and this is not the time to be losing ground. Now would be as good a time as any for Annelie Ulestedt to break out offensively: she's done all the little things at a high level, but she's scored just once in 12 matches and hasn't recorded an assist. They have winnable road games against Wolfstone Ladies and the Manic Street Teachers. And with a two-point lead, at least one of those needs to be an outright win.

4. Les Sangliers (7-4-5, 25 points, 19-14 GF-GA)

After the conclusion of action on January 2nd, Les Sangliers were 11 points back of Penelope Pittsburgh. With two matches to go, that gap has closed to 2 points. They may not go t?te-?-t?te in the final week, but a rendezvous in the standings sure seems like a possibility. It's no fait accompli, though: Penelope Pittsburgh would have to drop points for it to happen. If they do, Les Sangliers has a great opportunity to close the gap at home against Hammerpot WFC. But after that, a road matchup with Konak Belediyespor awaits. If they can hold onto the je-ne-sais-quoi that's earned them 10 points in the last four matches, they may yet find themselves en marche to Division 2.

Balanced All The While On A Gleaming Razor's Edge

5. Braceby Ladies (6-5-5, 23 points, 23-16 GF-GA)

Penelope Pittsburgh started hot and is slumping. Les Sangliers started cooler and are rallying. Braceby Ladies is doing both. They started 3-1-0, outscoring their foes 7-1. They went on a 1-3-5 stretch where they got outscored 13-6. But in their last three they've picked up 7 points, outscored their opponents 9-2, and are coming off of a 5-0 hammering of Konak Belediyespor to complete a season sweep. Of course, their reward is a road game against East-on-Hy. Braceby's offense can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the division, but can they crack its stingiest defense? If so, they're not totally out of it--but four points back of promotion, they pretty much need an outright win. Then they need to beat Wuthering Heights. Then they still need to hope Penelope Pittsburgh et Les Sangliers drop points. They're not out of the relegation woods, either: they're up 5 points so they only need to net two (realistically one with goal differential), but it's not something to take for granted.

6. Manic Street Teachers (6-5-5, 23 points, 14-17 GF-GA)

The Manic Street Teachers are in the very same position as Braceby Ladies, except with a much less favorable goal differential. The truly good news for them, though, is that their two remaining matches are at home. They have likely the starkest home-road split of anyone: 6-0-1 at Teachers Corner, and 0-5-4 elsewhere. Wuthering Heights at home is a should-win game--not a guarantee, though, considering that was a draw when they played at Wuthering Heights. After that, they get Penelope Pittsburgh. That's conceivably a six-pointer, and they could conceivably be playing for promotion. With a logjam ahead of them, though, it's hard to imagine that they'll be the only ones in the mix. A win against either also ensures they'll avoid relegation. But their goal differential is not good enough to keep them up if they stall out here--they absolutely need to net two points down the stretch.

Relegation Race

7. Zanarkand Abes (5-3-8, 18 points, 14-15 GF-GA)

With a home draw over Hammerpot WFC, Zanarkand Abes drew level on points and remained ahead of Wolfstone Ladies for the last safe spot. That alone is an accomplishment: they started the season 1-1-6 and are 4-2-2 since then. They're in good form at the right time. But now, they have to make one heck of a closing argument to hold the line. They have a road matchup with second-place Konak Belediyespor followed by a home finale against first-place East-on-Hy in the final week. Given their foes' schedule, stealing one win might be enough. Stealing two draws probably won't be. This team is better than the one that lost 2-0 to both of their remaining foes to start the season. Are they good enough?

8. Wolfstone Ladies FC (5-3-8, 18 points, 14-19 GF-GA)

While they're currently in the relegation zone, Wolfstone Ladies probably have the best opportunity to find safety. Penelope Pittsburgh at home is winnable, given...well, everything we've been over. Then they close out on the road against Hammerpot WFC, in which they'll be a clear favorite to get three points. Four points from those two matches puts them in the catbird's seat. Three points would give them better-than-even odds. But if they don't grab at least one win this week, then that leaves the door wide open. This is a veteran squad that understands the stakes and has won three of its past five matches; if that run continues, they should remain up.

9. Wuthering Heights (4-3-9, 15 points, 13-27 GF-GA)

Wuthering Heights may be three points back, but they have fallen listlessly out of the race and are not likely to rejoin it. Ellen Ripley and Victoria Page lead a talented team, but their manager appears to have gotten lost wandering through the Avocado Jungle of Death and has not been spotted since New Year's Day. They've lost their last four matches by an 11-0 margin, and to avoid relegation they would need to make up at least three points and a 13-goal differential on the road against Braceby Ladies and Manic Street Teachers. With a defense that's gone to pieces and given up 27 goals, that's not going to happen unless someone shows up like...now.

10. Hammerpot WFC (2-3-11, 9 points, 10-32 GF-GA)

Mia Rowey leads all Division 3 players with 6 X11 captaincies, and it's been to no avail as Hammerpot WFC is guaranteed relegation to Division 4. They've scored the fewest goals and given up the most, which is not ideal. The plus side is that they've recorded points in their last two matches, drawing Braceby Ladies and Zanarkand Abes--possibly spoiling their promotion and non-relegation hopes, respectively. They can continue to play spoiler in the final week, taking on fourth-place Les Sangliers ? Neufmanil, then getting eighth-place Wolfstone Ladies at home. Solid results there would build a lot of confidence for the club.

Match Day 6 promotion prediction: East-on-Hy (1st), Konak Belediyespor (2nd), Penelope Pittsburgh (3rd)
                                                    Match Day 6 bold prediction: Penelope Pittsburgh wins the division (they will not)
                                                    Current promotion prediction: East-on-Hy (clinched), Konak Belediyespor (clinched), Les Sangliers

Comment

Working...
                                                    X