X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
    Also started again in the Ladies League but the first opponent I met had a typically sexist kit and so again, I'm just going to bail out of this at season end - though I do miss Janik's wonderful reports.
    I'm sure that's the only reason I still play - they are absolutely wonderful.

Comment

That's why I went back and ignored the nonsense.

Comment

I'm forever trying to work out which of my 9 teams I could drop, but I can't seem to do it to any of them. Tiree Automatic in the Xpert Zone would be the most likely, in that there's less in that league keeping me there than in any of the others, but I do have the urge to try to win the damn thing one of these days despite it seeming no more likely than it ever has. And there may be few OTFers left there, but last season had us, Sits' Noirs, Etienne's Sans Culottes and Sean's arrivistes Traktor Volgograd all battling it out neck-and-neck in the midst of the top flight. And, not least, the adminship finally changed hands recently to someone who actually seems like they might do some good for the league.

I stopped coming onto these boards about a year ago as OTF was proving even more of a time sink, to be honest. I've dropped back in only a couple of times before very recently, and as soon as I've done so now I remember why I made myself stay away: there's always about 20 interesting threads to read, even without posting anywhere myself. I figure that I 'see' most of you over in Xpert Eleven, and nobody else on the boards would care whether I'm around or not, so in the end dropping this was much the easier decision. My main regret was that it coincided with SouthdownRebel leaving the game, so I don't see him anywhere now – has he been around on here lately? It's been great to have Foxy back in X11, at least, as I was missing him too I must admit.

My other main regret, of course, is missing out on Janik's continuing reportage, which clearly remains astonishingly dedicated. I was hoping Viking South Utsira might drop down another division to stand a chance of meeting the Waders next season, but alas we saved ourselves with a game to spare by winning today despite me still playing loads of kids. If anyone wants to sign some of our spares in the close season, keep an eye out since I'm going to have to hold a boot sale soon I've got so many of them, thanks to a peculiarly productive academy of late.

Comment

SDR has gone from here too now VA.

In terms of OTF as a whole, I think most of the regulars care about each other, even if they don't always say it. Or in some cases never do! Mundane for example has become a real community in its own right, but in absolutely no way a closed one. To be honest I would miss it a lot more than X11.

Comment

Damn, that's a real pity about SdR. Thanks for letting me know though Sits. I'm not when I last looked in on the Mundane thread; it always seemed a bit, well, mundane... Maybe I should check up on it once in a while.

Comment

There are, imho, three great and supportive threads. Mundane, office annoyances and the all purpose health thread.

Nice to see you again VA.

Comment

Nice to see you back too VA.

Just noticed that one of my players (Rowan MacAvoy) in my Power League team has now managed over 100 for both goals and assists, which I don't think I've had happen before. Anyone else managed similar?

Alternatively, wax lyrical about your favourite players you've had go on you know you all want to...

Comment

That’s excellent Gawpus. I can’t match those centuries but Lincolnshire Curly Coats’ (Golden League) record holder is midfielder Quincy Sefton, now 35/16. He was the first academy product to arrive after I took over the team, as a 16/4 and now has 381 games, 96 goals and 83 assists. But he’s at that stage where form and DV are becoming a real struggle so I would predict he has this season then next before he hangs up his boots. Maybe that will be an appropriate time for me to ditch the Pro Leagues.

Comment

35 and still at 16 skill is impressive. Strong name game too.

Comment

System generated as are nearly all Pro League names.

Comment

I see there are two 2-skill 17yo defenders for sale at ridiculous prices (this is in the Human League, but they will be for sale with different names in the OTF league too):

15 Nov 21:00 Raquel Collin 17 D 8 928 600
                        15 Nov 22:00 Dana Burgess 17 D 8 333 400

Even as underevals/3-skillers and with HT greedy cocks, they surely can't be worth that much....

Comment

Those are amazing figures, Gawpus. I don't think any player of mine has ever notched 100 assists, though I've had a few with 100 goals.

Comment

Apparently, in my Infamy Infamy team, there was a midfielder called Wanderlei Silva who made 461 appearances, scored 104 goals and notched up 112 assists. Needless to say, all this was achieved well before I took over....
                            Interestingly (or not depending on your point of view), he did all this without ever making the Xpert 11 team....

Comment

I don't think that's necessarily right. I think the historic stats only started keeping track of Xpert 11 appearances after it started tracking other stats.

Comment

Last time there were stupidly priced rubbish players on the market I let Admin Wayne know but got no reply. No idea if he did anything or not. It was 18/3s I seem to remember.

In ennui news, in the J4GL I have rebranded from Deerfield Durocs to Oxford Sandy & Blacks while retaining VA kits of course. I've been bored with that team.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  In ennui news, in the J4GL I have rebranded from Deerfield Durocs to Oxford Sandy & Blacks while retaining VA kits of course. I've been bored with that team.
                                  Nice one, Sits. Sibford Gower is not far from where I grew up! Also in the J4GL I've just rebranded 'Infamy infamy' to 'Infamy Infamy', still based in The Colosseum of course. I think VA would approve...

Comment

Thanks jdsx, I think your tweaked version presents better as a team name.

As for Sibford Gower, I chose it because, during some genealogy I discovered that my paternal Grandad’s mum was born there. Further research revealed her father was not named on her birth certificate* and further research still revealed a period of huge families, hardship, infant mortality and desperate crime stretching well back into the 18th Century. Anyway I think I discussed it on the Genealogy thread. Where did you grow up then?

*see also one of my Great Great Grandmas on my Mum’s side. From knightly stock me.

Comment

X11 Ladies Season 56 Matchday 13 report. Who has last day drama in store?

Code:
                                      Division 1a

Gretna Girls FC         3 - 1   Gastelle
                                      Naylor 8'                       Dickson 36'
                                      Pessanha 24'
                                      Starlander 33'

Division 3d

Deportivo Cruz Azul     1 - 2   Drakaina
                                      Vialli 76'                      Petit 73'
                                                                      Vulturescu 85'

Viking South Utsira     2 - 0   FC MadKuts Cologne
                                      B.Austrheim 43'
                                      U.Klovning 56'

Division 4j

Busby Babes             3 - 2   Coxy Ladies Wulpen
                                      Antberg 42'                     Carey 8'
                                      Lönngren 75', 87'               Vandenbergh 66'

Division 4k

Flick of the Wrist      0 - 2   Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                                                                      Pailloux 55'
                                                                      Hartanto 57'

Division 5:17

SLB Femenino            0 - 1   LNWR Locomotive
                                                                      Severinsson 93'

Division 5:19

Ullapool Northern Star  2 - 0   Blancos Mágicos
                                      Menashi 7'
                                      Barkho 67'

Division 5:27

Black Sabbath           2 - 0   Menywod Maeshafn
                                      Astermark 4', 87'
                                      Rice (missed pen) 43'

Division 5:31

Csiki Girls             0 - 0   Gaia Superior

Division 6:54
                                      Haruhiists
                                      BW Günthersdorf         0 - 5   Zeugma Dostluk Spor
                                                                      Mansiz 1', 15', 59'
                                                                      Bell 31'
                                                                      Veziroglu 85'
                                      Four straight wins following new manager Jdsx taking over had lifted Gastelle to within two points of second placed Gretna Girls FC. If they could go to the borders and win a very unlikely backdoor promotion to the top would dangle tantalisingly.
                                      The visitors were not the only ones to know that though, and Gretna Girls set about nipping such thoughts in the bud. The hosts were ruthless in their pruning, trimming back Gastelle with goals on 8, 24 and 33 minutes. Jessica Dickson reduced arrears on 36 minutes and if a second from the same player on 41 had stood… but no, it was disallowed and Gastelle went to the dressing rooms 3-1 down.
                                      That was a pretty fair reflection of the game, and it remained both the scoreline and the mirror through a more cautious second period. And with that the hopes of sneaking promotion had gone up in smoke. Gastelle now find themselves fifth in the Division 1a standings, five points adrift of second and once again looking behind them as FC Linköping Calcio in sixth are just a point adrift. And they play the rock bottom Cutty Sark Crew in their last match. In all probability Gastelle’s meeting with Mosshagen United LFC is a must win; victory and they stay up and Mosshagen go down, anything else and the positivity of the last month falls completely flat.

Drakaina sat four points clear of second place and five ahead of Deportivo Cruz Azul in third prior to their visit to Mexico. That meant victory would guarantee the title for The Dragons, whilst a draw might or might not be enough for a play-off spot, depending on other results.
                                      For the hosts the equation was reversed – win or bust. It made for a tense afternoon. But not a chanceless one as both teams created a few openings. However the score remained tied at 0-0 until the 73rd minute when Etienne’s side broke the deadlock through a set piece routine finished off by Sandrine Petit. Unusually ‘keeper Anastasia Shkolnikova got the assist!
                                      Cruz Azul had to respond and did so swiftly, levelling on 76 minutes. With news filtering through that the other sides up there were winning, both teams committed more and more to the attack looking for the winner the situation demanded. It arrived five minutes from time, and it came for the Greeks, Florica Vulturescu hammering in from 35 yards. The final whistle sparked wild celebrations – Drakaina were champions!
                                      Three straight losses had drawn Viking South Utsira into the relegation fight; The Blood Eagles kicked-off their games against FC MadKuts Cologne just one point clear of the drop.
                                      MadKuts were the right opponents to face though as they propped up the table. The Cologne side have really struggled to score, but do possess a reasonably effective defence. Their best bet of something from the game was to hold Viking scoreless, and they managed for 42. But then Birgit Austrheim headed home a corner.
                                      A second for Velvet Android’s side would mean game over. Mette Hovland thought she had it on 52 minutes, but Manuel Ficu disagreed. He found Ulrikke Klovning’s long ranger four minutes later more satisfactory, and that was that.
                                      And with it and a result elsewhere, Viking were safe. They will finish Division 3d fifth, as the gaps either side are now four points. That is also Drakaina’s advantage at the top. However their last game is not a dead rubber as victory can deny a sexist a play-off plays. Go The Dragons!

Once four points clear at the top of Division 4j, Coxy Ladies Wulpen’s trip to Busby Babes was nearly, but not quite, a dead rubber from the Belgians perspective.
                                      The Waders came into the game six points adrift of the play-off spot and six ahead of the drop zone. A win could keep Janik’s side’s nominal interest alive, depending on other results. And they edged towards it twice, taking the lead on 8 minutes through Zara Carey’s header and again when Laetitia Vandenbergh did likewise on 66 minutes.
                                      In between Busby’s had levelled, a trick they repeated with fifteen minutes to play. They then went one better with a winner three minutes from time. Defeat then and with it confirmation that Banik would not be going up. Checking the other results also showed they wouldn’t be going down as the side in sixth had lost (that result actually meant even a win for Coxy Ladies wouldn’t have helped). Mid-table mediocrity it is. The Waders are currently fifth, and will finish there unless they can win in which case third is reachable.

The league situation dictated that Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC trip to Flick of the Wrist was a virtual must win for The Sea Spirits. They were only three points from safety at kick-off, but the side they were chasing, Albion, were playing sixth-placed Propaganda. If that game ended in a win for either, only victory would keep Kanjeng’s head above the water.
                                      That wasn’t an easy ask against a Flick side that sat third in the table and still had a theoretical shot of making the play-offs. However that was always unlikely and from the outset SeanoftheShed’s side looked more up for the fight. The Sea Goddesses’ had much the better of a scoreless first half, and continued to push after the interval. Their breakthrough arrived 10 minutes after the resumption, Adèle Pailloux heading home.
                                      It was two within two minutes of the opener, and it came from an unlikely source as young midfielder Utami Hartanto picked the perfect moment to get her first career strike. Thao-Ap Luangpruksachat had a third disallowed late on, but it wasn’t required as the Indonesian defence didn’t allow Flick a sniff.
                                      And the other result dropped nicely as Albion and Propaganda took points off each other with a draw. That leaves Kanjeng sixth ahead of the final round of games, one point and -2 GD from safety. Their last match is a tricky one, away at second-placed Bethanys Binos. The Binos already have the play-off spot secured though, so may be resting players to avoid injury/suspension. Which would help, but unfortauntely Albion, the side Kanjeng need a better result than, are playing champions Stirling Stallions, who are also more likely to be interested with DV than winning.

Comment

Second versus third. The top scorers in the Division against the meanest defence. Matches don’t come an awful lot bigger than LNWR Locomotive’s trip to SLB Femenino.
                                        The Steamers were the side higher in the standings, two points clear of their opponents at the start of play, and also the possessors of the prolific attack. SLB had the lockdown rearguard, with just three goals conceded in their previous 12 games. Unsurprisingly given that defence assuredness, they were unbeaten all campaign though it did come at the expense of attacking threat meaning they had registered a high number of draws, many of them 0-0.
                                        The match quickly settled into an expected pattern. LNWR attacked; SLB defended. Both lost a player through injury, Gayane Zakarian the Steamer to depart with a 14-day knock sustained in the 28th minute. And it stayed nil-nil. That result appeared certain until, deep into second-half stoppage time, Zakarian’s replacement, Phrigit Heart, teed up Tekla Severinsson who blasted home a winner for Viktor Boskovic’s side.
                                        That result knocked SLB out of contention for the Division 5:17 promotion places and assured Locomotive of at least a play-off spot as it increased the gap between the two to five points. LNWR still have a shot of the title as well – beat Slytherin LFC by two clear goals in their final game and they would leapfrog Erbil if the later don’t win their last match against San Francisco 9ers. To add extra intrigue, both Slytherin and Frisco are in relegation danger. It could be dramatic…

Ullapool Northern Star came into their match with Blancos Mágicos having lost just once in their previous nine matches in Division 5:19.
                                        That reverse was unfortunately quite a costly one though as it came against second-placed Fair Maidens of FISO in the previous round of games, which left Delicatemoth’s side four points adrift of the play-off spot and hoping for help from elsewhere. That was not the manager’s concern though; her aim simply had to be to set her team up to win the match, and then see whether this had kept the hopes alive.
                                        Northern Star’s players drunk the teamtalk in and came out like a whirlwind. Renate Klovning had already had a strike disallowed by the time Sonia Menashi opened the scoring on 7 minutes. Once ahead Ullapool toned things down rather, but they still offered a threat and made the game safe midway through the second-half when Zebela Barkho raced away and finished.
                                        Star had done their part, then. Help from elsewhere was thin on the ground though. To be honest that was always likely, seeing as the Fair Maidens were playing the winless side at the bottom of the Division. Ullapool stay fourth, but are only goals scored adrift of third. That will be the target for the final week of what has been a refreshingly good campaign.

The sides in fifth, sixth and seventh in Division 5:27 were all level on points ahead of the penultimate round of games. Of these Menywod Maeshafn had by far the best goal difference so they occupied the spot outside the drop zone. But they faced a difficult match at Black Sabbath who were top, unbeaten, and knew three points would give them the title.
                                        The Welsh side’s tough afternoon looked bleaker in the 4th minute as Sabbath took the lead. However from their IsThatcherDeadYet’s side stabilised. They survived a scare in the 43rd minute when the hosts had a penalty, only for Laure Bertheau to save Audrey Rice’s effort. Indeed they were still in touch with five minutes to play and creating chances… and then Sabbath got a second to confirm their title. It’s enough to make one paranoid [Ah, come on, I had to!]
                                        I’m not sure whether results elsewhere were helpful to the Welsh side. On balance, I think they were not. Brkate Zetovke started the day just a point ahead of the pack, but they absolutely smashed seventh-placed Racing 92 da Feira 4-0 at Racing’s pitch. Now Racing had a horrid sexist kit so seeing them relegated would be good... except by winning Brkate Zetovke ensured their own survival. And as their last game was against The Sabbath, that was probably unhelpful from a Maeshafn viewpoint. Racing, meanwhile, play third-placed side As Scuttettes, who have nothing to play for. That might explain them being held 2-2 by Jocvijeve Zecice, a result that lifts Zecice a point above Maeshafn.
                                        Zecice’s last match is against second in the table Femme Fatale FC, which is alright to Maeshafn… as long as Femme Fatale are not resting players for the play-off! Maeshafn’s own final game is away at Empire of the Sun, who are bottom and winless with five points to their names. To stay up the Welsh outfit need to match Racing’s result and better Zecice’s one.

It’s almost impossible to talk about Division 5:31 in terms of single games, seeing as only seven points covered Csiki Girls, who were top of the pile and Barca Ladies FC who were fifth but still had a genuine shot at the play-offs. In between the two sat the Csiki’s penultimate opponents, Gaia Superior, who were third but only a point adrift of the leaders
                                        Both teams at A kertem possessed good defences, particularly Gaia who had conceded a league low 3 times all season (the Csiki’s had shipped 7). It was a question of who could break the other down, if either could at all. Ad hoc’s team suffered a scare on the quarter-hour when Gaia had the ball in the net, only for Stellan Offsajed to disallow it. They spent the rest of the first half on the back-foot, but survived unscathed to the interval.
                                        The second-half proved to be a non-event as nerves got the better of both sides. That was more painful for Gaia, who really had to leapfrog the Csiki’s for reasons I will come to; they hadn’t managed. But first, what happened elsewhere? Fourth placed Blood Brothers had an effective walkover against the team bottom of the table. They netted the full seven… but that only edged them up to level with Csiki Girls on points and still behind on goal difference. The key result though was second-placed FC Universitatea Cluj beating Barca 3-1.
                                        That knocked Barca out of contention and put Cluj top. Prior to the final round of games in 5:31 they have 29 points and a +24 GD, the Csiki’s have 27 +29, Blood Brothers 27 +18 and Gaia 26 +21. It looks a four-horse race… except Csiki Girls final match is against The Girls Dream Team, who are currently seventh and whose only points and indeed only goals this season have come against bottom side BUNDAS da GESTÃO. If the Transylvanians win, and they will be massive favourites to do so, their GD/single point advantage effectively/officially eliminates Blood Brothers and Gaia Superior from the race for the automatic spot, though both would still have an unlikely route to the play-offs (which is why Gaia had to win this game!).
                                        A Csiki victory also puts massive pressure on Cluj to win their final match – anything less and they would drop behind the Csiki’s. Indeed defeat could see Cluj miss out entirely, depending on the result of the Blood Brothers-Gaia Superior match (oh yes, for added complexity these sides play each other!). Cluj’s final game is one they should win, opponents The Black Widows are already relegated, but is more of a banana skin than some other fixtures would be – the Widows have already held Gaia Superior to a draw this season.

*phew* Zeugma Dostluk Spor’s Division is going to be less complicated, right? Er, yeah, though not without its own issues.
                                        These were not around Zeugma’s own match, which looked a straightforward one at bottom side BW Günthersdorf. It depended how simple on whether the hosts on-again, off-again manager (sacked nine times, taken back over again nine times) was present for the game. As soon as Antepli Ejderha and co rocked up and his opposite number wasn’t there, the course of the day was set.
                                        Makbule Mansiz opened the scoring in the 1st minute as Zeugma simply walked through their hosts in the opening attack of the game. Mansiz settled matters with a second on 15 minutes and would go on to complete her hattrick after 59. Stacey Bell added a third on 31 minutes, Rachel Forsyth had a strike disallowed on 52 and Candan Veziroglu struck on 85 to make the final score 5-0.
                                        Meanwhile, elsewhere in Division 6:54, third-placed Haruhiists’ manager forgot to set his team up for their match at champions Marianne in Chains. It probably wouldn’t have made any difference if he had – the 3-0 defeat for his team seems about par. A painful error though, as it means Zeugma’s win has pretty well sealed the play-off spot. They are three points and +10 GD clear of Haruhiists ahead of the sides meeting on the final day of the campaign. It would take a six goal defeat for AE’s side not to be playing the extra game.

Comment

Top work as ever Janik.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          Where did you grow up then?
                                          Born in Oxford. Grew up mostly in Charlbury, so just the other side of Chippy, really. Eventually went to a boarding school (a comprehensive!) in Thame. Small world...

Comment

Guzman to Janik, a mighty effort again. He knows more about my division than I do.

I want to reach the play offs as it's an extra game for development values, however I'm torn about going up or not. I really think the side isn't ready so I'd theoretically go up and get relegated and therefore lose a season. Do I throw the play off?

Opinions please.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                              Guzman to Janik, a mighty effort again. He knows more about my division than I do.

I want to reach the play offs as it's an extra game for development values, however I'm torn about going up or not. I really think the side isn't ready so I'd theoretically go up and get relegated and therefore lose a season. Do I throw the play off?

Opinions please.
                                              You never know if the division you'd land in has some squads in a rebuild. I'd take any promotion I could get.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post

You never know if the division you'd land in has some squads in a rebuild. I'd take any promotion I could get.
                                                Good call. There's that bit of luck involved.

I could even try changing my location temporarily so I change my division. At the moment I end up with players from Portugal who are decent.

Comment

I lost the play off with a full strength side.

My change report wasn't great as I'd tried to develop too many players in a greedy effort to play the transfer market. It's back to basics for me now. 4 players on the transfer list, one from each position, as I trim my squad. I need to remember to buy an experienced midfielder with a handful of games to go as one of mine is retiring.

Hope everyone else did better on their reports.

Comment

Yeah, we had a nice solid one with two double jumps, and only one (expected retirement announcement). But we're playing with the big girls now, so it might not be enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X