No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking hell pebble, glad you're being treated and seem to be in good spirits.

Comment

Tuberculosis? Fuck a duck, that's like a 19th century disease or something. Do you reckon they should be checking for rickets or scurvy whilst they've got you in there? Either way hope you make a full and rapid recovery Pebble.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
        Didn't seem to be much available in the Golden League, so I've taken over AS Roma in Ultimate League Division 4i.......
        I've just noticed your VIP, could we interest you in the MLX?

Comment

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Pebble.

Comment

Hope you get well soon Pebble.

Comment

Bloody hell Pebble, that's quite the story. As Sean so eloquently observes, contracting TB in this day and age sounds so anachronistic it must be virtually a collector's item. I hope you're starting to feel better mate, and indeed on the way to a full and speedy recovery – and the side strain doesn't turn out to have been caused by a passing bout of bubonic plague.

Comment

Bloody hell Pebble. All the best mate.

Comment

Many thanks for all the concern, but I actually feel a bit of a fraud. The only real symptoms are weight loss and coughing a lot, and given that I've always been a skinny bastard and thanks to cigarettes I'm always coughing, it's actually life as normal, just in much more boring surroundings.

Incidentally, fans of irony will be pleased to note that I smoked for thirty years with no official medical issues. I had given up for two weeks, and I end up in hospital with a non smoking related lung disease.

Back to topic, I did log on on the morning of the twelfth to see if I'd been challenged yet in the Plate, or Vase, or Gravyboat. And I therefore spent a lot more of my weekend than I probably should have thinking "SDR's going to be cross with me!" If he was,he's clearly feeling guilty about it now, as this morning my MLX youth team, for which funding has just been cancelled as I ran out of money, has popped out a 16/4 with free kicks and cone!

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                    I've just noticed your VIP, could we interest you in the MLX?
                    Thanks AE. I'm gradually trying to get my work/life/xpert11 balance slightly more inclined towards the latter, rather than the former two, which is, I think you'll all agree, as it should be. But having just increased from three teams to four, I want to see how that goes before stepping up another gear....

And best wishes to Pebble for a speedy recovery. A propos of probably not very much, my grandfather died of TB*, so I'm aware it's not something to treat lightly...

*Albeit it was in Shanghai in 1914.....

Comment

Take it easy Pebble. Friend of mine got TB a year or so back, and the key (as with pneumonia) seems to be that while you might not feel too bad, you really do need to take all the advice you get to rest.

Comment

All the best pebble, wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Comment

Last day of the season in Heineken 2 and a very tight state of affairs

4 teams in with a shout of the 3rd promotion place and still a fair amount of interest at the bottom. Also the title race still on.
                          Fixtures of note in the promotion race:
                          Lokomotive Leiden (Wouter) vs Csiki Sods (me)
                          Robotic Rangers vs TGIF
                          Real Rusholme vs Canberra Raiders

TGIF are fighting for the title (and seem to be really going for it, so Robotic Rangers cannot be guaranteed a win against a team just playing for DV (though that is still possible) [Sirrel County are away at Eruption who need the points, so there is still a shot for them]. My team is injury hit and in poor form, so I fully anticipate Leiden to beat us (though after a period of ages in which Wouter's teams always beat mine, the bogey team boot seems to be on the other foot these days.) Rusholme should win, and should the OTF matchup finish a draw then they could sneak in.

Prediction:
                          Leiden go up with a win, while Robotic R's get a draw with TGIF.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                            Back to topic, I did log on on the morning of the twelfth to see if I'd been challenged yet in the Plate, or Vase, or Gravyboat. And I therefore spent a lot more of my weekend than I probably should have thinking "SDR's going to be cross with me!" If he was,he's clearly feeling guilty about it now, as this morning my MLX youth team, for which funding has just been cancelled as I ran out of money, has popped out a 16/4 with free kicks and cone!
                            I reckon we should officially rename one of the MLX tournaments the Gravyboat...

Glad to hear you're not feeling too terrible Pebble, hope your convalescence continues to go well. And that's a hell of a nice 'get well soon' pressie indeed from the Cod youth academy. Especially with the funding just having been cut off, extra satisfying!

Exactly the same thing (minus the manager getting TB) happened to United Underground a couple of years ago, back in Season 4 when Thierry Theydon Bois came out of our academy as a 17/5 with FKs, Oscar and Horse. More so, he was the only proper product from the academy in the first 18 months of the club's existence, as immediately prior to his arrival was the sole stretch I funded it for – it had taken me a good while to work up the courage (and kitty) to divert any econs to it, and after they ran out at this point I didn't put any more into it for the next half a year or more, either. But the week I'd finally given up due to chronic lack of funds, he turned up on the Monday night – i.e. under 2 hours before the weekly investment was due and hence the star rating started to drop. If you look at UU's youth page and/or players out, you'll find there's no other significant academy products until Season 8: Hugo Highgate, the second one added to our current squad, didn't come along until eight months later. Theydon Bois' arrival couldn't have been a closer-run thing, so all the more delicious for that.

He's now a 28/16, pound-for-pound probably the best player I've ever had come through one of my private-league teams. I'll be intrigued to see if you can develop your new addition the same way, or else to see just how many shitloads of econs you sell him for should you decide to cash in instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              Last day of the season in Heineken 2 and a very tight state of affairs
                              4 teams in with a shout of the 3rd promotion place and still a fair amount of interest at the bottom. Also the title race still on.
                              Fixtures of note in the promotion race:
                              Lokomotive Leiden (Wouter) vs Csiki Sods (me)
                              Robotic Rangers vs TGIF
                              Real Rusholme vs Canberra Raiders

TGIF are fighting for the title (and seem to be really going for it, so Robotic Rangers cannot be guaranteed a win against a team just playing for DV (though that is still possible) [Sirrel County are away at Eruption who need the points, so there is still a shot for them]. My team is injury hit and in poor form, so I fully anticipate Leiden to beat us (though after a period of ages in which Wouter's teams always beat mine, the bogey team boot seems to be on the other foot these days.) Rusholme should win, and should the OTF matchup finish a draw then they could sneak in.
                              Amazing situation AH – I hadn't looked at your division in two or three weeks so hadn't realised you and Wouter have both dragged yourselves out of the midtable morass to the brink of promotion on the last day. Such a shame to see either the Sods or Leiden have to end the other's hopes if they're to make it, having been joined at the hip so long while battling for titles all the way up the ladder for yonks now. Just make sure someone wins it, to prevent Rusholme sneaking in by default! Amazing though, like you say, that they and the Robotics, Eruption, Canberra, Sirrel, TGIF and the pair of you – i.e. everyone with something realistically to play for – all have to fight it out between the eight of you with everything at stake in each of those matches. Good luck to both of you.

In the Premiership, I'm pleased to say that Royal Atlantis are guaranteed a top-5 finish in our first crack at the highest division. It's a momentous day in club history, though, as the legend that is Ali Khan is retiring after today, as the current top points, assists and goalscorer in the whole Heineken League*, after being at the club for all 20 seasons since the day it was founded four years ago next month. Fittingly perhaps, having been there every step of the way from HLC14 to the top flight, he bows out tonight with a very long-awaited first and final trip to 9-times league champions JahJahs (Quinnys) Disco Pants... who could still win a tenth crown depending on this game's result. In truth, Ali's form has dwindled to nothing in recent weeks as I've reduced him to a bit-part player with the finishing line in sight, but I'll bring him on in the 90th minute for both a grand finale and a landmark 400th appearance. Having scored exactly 300 points (183 goals and 117 assists), unless he does something miraculous in stoppage-time he'll retire with an extremely neat-looking record indeed.

(* Caveat: on the goals front I'm discounting a Ledes Unita player down in HLC17, who has overtaken Khan's lifetime total in that category this season but who was uniquely parachuted into the bottom tier during the one-off inward merger a couple of seasons ago, so brought 190 of his impressive 295 points tally with him from his previous league. As a 15-skill free-kicker in a strong team – one of the top 20 in the entire Heineken – he has been making hay since then in the lowest divisions: a barmy 77 goals + 28 assists from 61 games in HLCS 19, 18 and 17. Heaven knows what he'll end his career with.)

Comment

Prediction:
                                Leiden go up with a win, while Robotic R's get a draw with TGIF.
                                Applause!

Comment

You're welcome!

Comment

Great predicting work from ad hoc there. How have the OTFers got on in the Heineken?

I've won my division in my bid to climb up the league from the bottom. No player retiring and no development values under 10 means my squad is going to be stronger. Seeing as the three who finished above me last season finished in the top three again I'm hopeful for another promotion challenge.

Edit: division 13 out of 20 isn't too bad.

Comment

You're welcome!
                                      Merci beaucoup. I fully expect to meet you again in season 49. Then we can both burst onto the top flight scene in season 50.

Comment

South Hams United finished runners-up in HLC 15, giving us a third promotion in four seasons. Given that the three teams who finished above us last season (including Zeugma) have just gone straight through HLC 14, I'm hopeful of another promotion challenge next season. I'll need to add to the current squad of 14, though.

And get well soon, Pebble!

Comment

No surprise that Methley Perseverance will be playing in HLC1 next season. We are currently trying to build up a squad that might be ready to challenge in a few season's time, but some of the injuries have made a complete mess of the DV for some of the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                            No surprise that Methley Perseverance will be playing in HLC1 next season. We are currently trying to build up a squad that might be ready to challenge in a few season's time, but some of the injuries have made a complete mess of the DV for some of the squad.
                                            I was shocked to see you get relegated, is rebuilding going to mean back to back relegation battles?

Comment

That is very likely, I'm afraid.

Comment

Second successive relegation for The Framley Okapi XI means next season will be spent in HLC6. Green shoots of recovery appearing however with our youngsters having DV's of 16, 17, 3 of them on 18 and best of all, 17/5 forward Nebuchadnezzar O'Reilly having a 19.

Comment

Just got relegated from HLC13, sorry to miss you AE.

HO: see you next season!
                                                  Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 29-01-2018, 21:10.

Comment

Very best wishes to Pebble.

Still trying to work out how to predict which players are likely to suffer form/DV hits from not playing or turning in a poor performance. Penelope Pittsburgh's last game was a good win against decent opposition, but we suffered in that regard. Better read those articles again, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X