X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lambers View Post
    It's been a good evening for the Isla Nublarians: I finally managed to purchase an experienced and decent defender to teach the youngsters; we finally got our first win (and points) of the season, albeit at the expense of a fellow OTFer; and the team called 'Made Men', who I felt made a bit of a gloating PR about their victory over me, got hammered by Pebble of this parish. Thanks Pebble.
    For what it's worth, I've been reading the PRs in HLC20 and Made Men's previous ones all seem to be quite deeply 'in character', with the Mafia allusions and whatnot. So I wouldn't read too much perhaps into that "gloating", lambers; that particular PR is admittedly hardly a sophisticated effort and it reads a bit oddly even in context, yes, but I'd maybe give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion rather than take it as any kind of personal dig.

Comment

Holy mackerel, Viking North Utsire just created 22 chances in our Ultimate League Cup second round, first leg game against a zombie team. They had a defender carried off on 37 minutes with no subs available, then a midfielder sent off after 54. Unfortunately they still had a solid 13-skill goalie who performed heroics to keep the scoreline down to a mere 6-0 – we only converted 3 from 9 in the first half and 3 from 13 in the second!

The second leg should be interesting, mind. They're certainly going to have a bit of trouble putting together a useful XI for their next league game now, with probably at least one zero-skilled reserve keeper likely to be pressed into service as an outfielder.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        For what it's worth, I've been reading the PRs in HLC20 and Made Men's previous ones all seem to be quite deeply 'in character', with the Mafia allusions and whatnot. So I wouldn't read too much perhaps into that "gloating", lambers; that particular PR is admittedly hardly a sophisticated effort and it reads a bit oddly even in context, yes, but I'd maybe give him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion rather than take it as any kind of personal dig.
        You read them 20 minutes too early, VA. If you'd waited, you'd have seen Feisar Racing's spellcheck change "hey presto" to "hey potato", which was the high point of an admittedly quite boring day.

Comment

If it would have been one of us, Hey Potato would become an evergreen like Guzman!

Comment

What's football, real or virtual, without grudges held for ages over minor quibbles? Honestly, it's not something that's bothered me for more than that evening. Although I did look out for their result just now... I'm not in denial...

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
            You read them 20 minutes too early, VA. If you'd waited, you'd have seen Feisar Racing's spellcheck change "hey presto" to "hey potato", which was the high point of an admittedly quite boring day.
            As I have shared an Xpert Ladies division with Feisar's manager for the last two seasons, I've come to realise that WisemanJ is not a person that proof-reads as they go along and 95% of their posts are followed by a cursing of auto-correct. However, no previous mistakes have been even 10% as magnificent as "hey potato".

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
              Hah, well I hadn't literally just read them, I meant I've been keeping up (on and off) with them since the start of the season or before, since a whole bunch of you I know all started off there together the other week.

I've left a comment of my own now, picking up on lambers' suggestion Hey Potato should be a terrace chant. This one could run and run, hopefully.

Also, apropos of nothing, I've just this moment suddenly twigged why Wouter D's logo looks strangely familiar. D'oh!
              Last edited by Various Artist; 15-08-2020, 12:34.

Comment

Norbert Dentressangle?

Comment

Beg pardon?

Comment

Also, apropos of nothing, I've just this moment suddenly twigged why Wouter D's logo looks strangely familiar. D'oh!
                    Nice, isn't it? I find it a bit freaky how well it works.

Comment

Beg pardon?

Comment

Xpert XI official Ladies League Season 59, Matchday 7 report.

Code:
                        Xpert Ladies

Drakaina                0 - 3   FC Sprezzatura
                                                        Anguita 12'
                                                        Gilchrist (pen) 44'
                                                        Vingkvist 80'

Division 2b

November Revolution     1 - 1   Mauchline Belles
                        W Salander 64'                  Perdao 89'

Division 3e

Girls Aloud             0 - 0   Coxy Ladies Wulpen

Division 4h

Q.P.R Ladies            3 - 1   Viking South Utsira
                        Asani 3', 60'                   K.Hovland 38'
                        Pececnik 79'

Division 4j

Atomic                  0 - 2   Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                                                        Wibawa 29'
                                                        Amri 81'

Division 4k

Bombay Green Rockets    0 - 3   The Chicks
                                                        Hitchcock 28'
                                                        Starck 49'
                                                        Hempel 78'

Division 4p

Queen                   2 - 0   Csiki Girls
                        Almeyda 38', 53'

Division 5:16

W?lcyrie Girls          6 - 1   Rising Stars
                        McLintock 14'                   Ver?ssimo 87'
                        Elfstr?m 18', 43', 55', (pen) 61'
                        Metelo 73'

Division 5:17

Stoke City Ladies XI    1 - 5   LNWR Locomotive
                        Fer?r 66'                       Arredondo 23'
                                                        Teigland 27', 90'
                                                        Diana 70', 82'

Division 5:19

Ullapool Northern Star  0 - 3   Lunachicks F.C.
                                                        Spahic 75'
                                                        Stephens 87'
                                                        Weaver 82'

Division 5:26

Kappa                   0 - 2   Zeugma Dostluk Spor
                                                        Manookian 34'
                                                        G?ncar 52'

Division 5:28

Menywod Maeshafn        2 - 1   The Valkyries
                        Barker 3'                       Eckl 83'
                        Beck 73'

Division 6:12

Juventus                4 - 0   Barbie FC
                        Millen 12', 34'
                        Brugge 18', 65'
                        Millen (missed pen) 26'

Division 6:41

Lilywhite Ladies        0 - 2   Hazeldean Inchmistress
                                                        Mej?a 80'
                        Ling (sent off) 91'             Ernstr?m 82'

Division 6:42

Mawenzi                 1 - 1   Invisible Ladies
                        Yadav 76'                       Parks 64'

Division 6:56

Pretty ladies           1 - 0   Dublin City Womens FC
                        Carbrera 78'
                        Drakaina faced bottom of the table FC Sprezzatura in their final match of the opening half of the campaign, but don’t read too much into how the visitors were doing – all 8 teams in the top flight are exceptional ones.
                        Little things can make a big difference between evenly matched sides, such as the Sprezzatura getting his tactics spot on. Dragons boss Etienne admitted after the game that he was “a bit worried” after he clocked the Sprezzatura tactics, but he still didn’t expect what was coming. Whilst it wasn’t completely one-way traffic, it was very much in Sprezzatura’s direction, and the goals went with the flow; two before the interval, one after the break.
                        “That could have gone better” said the boss after the game. Indeed. The shock defeat means the Greeks remain in the Xpert Ladies bottom three, dropping one place to seventh. The margin of the loss means they are -6 GD from safety, in addition to being a point adrift of fifth.

A big win last week had edged Mauchline Belles into their usual spot, fifth in Division 2b. Maintaining that meant at least avoiding defeat against the side one place below them, November Revolution.
                        The Belles played the match on the counter attack, and did it well, holding the Revolution at arm’s length in the first half whilst also landing blows of their own. Just not the sort of knock-out ones to start a counter insurgency.
                        Jdsx’s side continued to look the more likely until, in the 64th minute, The Girl with the Opening Goal against the Run of Play struck to put November ahead. To be fair, being a female Footballer feels a reasonable personality fit for Salander. It’s something she could be in to. But she isn’t the heroine fighting for natural justice in this particular story. Instead that was Fernanda Perdao who gave Mauchline the point that was the bare minimum they merited by turning in an 89th minute corner.
                        As expected, that result kept The Belles fifth in the 2b standings. As an aside, I’ve never read any of the Millennium novels nor seen any of their screen adaptations. Can you tell?

After a flying start to the season Coxy Ladies Wulpen have begun to stutter in recent weeks. The Waders were looking to get their fluency back at Girls Aloud.
                        And in certain aspects they did – Wulpen were the better team in general play and created the bulk of the chances (that second stat was somewhat helped by a snidey elbow from No?mie Kerckhoeven that put Aloud’s best forward out of the game early on!). However The Waders just couldn’t find a way past the hosts strong goalkeeper.
                        That meant a second successive goalless draw, albeit this one where Coxy Ladies were frustrated rather than grateful for the point. A bit of a slow down after winning their opening five games. But still enough for The Waders to be top of Division 3e at the season’s halfway point; Janik’s side are one point clear of Misconduct United in second, and four ahead of the rest.

The last match of the opening half of the season sent Viking South Utsira to Loftus Road to take on promotion rivals Q.P.R Ladies.
                        The game proved to be a good, open affair with lots to entertain the crowd. An early goal (for the Hoops) probably helped create that, though VSU would likely have gone for the jugular anyway, because that is what Blood Eagles do. Their attacking threat was rewarded with an equaliser on 38 minutes scored by Kristin Hovland (Kirstin is a midfielder, so not one of Hovland, Hovland and Hovland).
                        Unfortunately for Velvet Android and co, QPR stepped things up after the break, taking charge of the game and getting their just desserts with strikes after 60 and 79 minutes. The defeat saw a three point gap open up between the sides as Viking dropped to fourth in the Division 4h table. QPR are second, leaders San Quirico are a point further on top of that ahead of the North Sea Islanders.

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC were looking to round off an excellent opening half of the campaign in style when they visited mid-table Atomic.
                        The Sea Spirits arrived at the game with five wins and a draw to their names. They were on their way to adding to the former from the 29th minute, which was when Aulia Wibawa stabbed home a loose ball after a corner.
                        SeanoftheShed’s side had a bad spell around the hour mark as first forward Utami Sumanti was forced from the field with a 10-day injury, quickly followed by Rahma Ikmal having a strike disallowed. That delayed the settler for around 20 minutes, Kiki Amri eventually supplying it on 81 minutes with a long-range blast. The look of surprise on defenders Amri’s face when it found the bottom corner was something to behold – it was the 21 year-old’s first goal (indeed first ever ‘point’, i.e. goal or assist), coming in her 32nd game in the fourth season of her senior career.
                        The Sea Goddesses Assistant manager is obviously not a sentimentalist, as she substituted Amri just minutes later; locking the win down was the only issue on her mind. The victory maintained Kanjeng’s four point advantage over second in the Division 4j standings. It also meant the Sea Spirits have gone for an entire half-season unbeaten in league and cup.

What Bombay Green Rockets wouldn’t give for an unbeaten run even a quarter as long as the Indonesians. The latest attempt to ignite one for HKS3’s side came against The Chicks, as I’m updating the team name to to match the recent re-branding of the eponymous real life band (hopefully the manager will follow suit at the end of this season (we will leave aside any issues on other topics with The Chicks new name to another date!)).
                        This was a difficult match up for Bombay as their visitors were second in the table. And once again The Rockets failed to get off the launch pad as the gravity of Division 4k proved too much. A strong performance at the back from man-of-the-match M?rcia Wemerson limited the chances allowed to just four. Unfortunately for The Common faithful, three of these went in.
                        Bombay stay bottom of the 4k table, and are now five points from safety.

Is it too early to call matches like Csiki Girls against sixth-in-the-table at the start of play Queen a last chance saloon, at least as far as Adhoc’s side were concerned?
                        Probably not, no. An immediate return to Division 5 is nailed on unless there is an immediate and dramatic upturn in results, particularly by winning matches against the sides the Transylvanians need to catch. But not this time as the fragile confidence of Csiki Girls was apparent. They created no chances of their own, let four go the other way and conceded twice to fall to another reverse.
                        The Csikis are bottom of the Division 4p standings still on the back of that, of course. They are 9 points from safety.

Rising Stars won their first game of the season in the league last week. Was that a new dawn for the Ascenders? Is dawn a positive for a team of Stars? Could they continue it against second-in-the-table W?lcyrie Girls?
                        Um, no. Blamlb’s side came down to earth with a resounding thud [though if a star fell on earth, the earth would be more the thudee than the thuder!]. W?lcyrie were much, much too good. ?rica Ver?ssimo did get a consolation strike on 87 minutes, but the celebrations were barely even perfunctory as Rising were 6-0 down when she did so. Not the most memorable of circumstances for a debut goal for your new club (Ver?ssimo was signed for ~5million this season).
                        The Stars are another OTF side propping up their section, in The Ascenders case Division 5:16. Safety is 4 points and +16 GD distant.

Comment

X11 can be pretty relentless when one is struggling at the bottom of a league – the body blows just keep coming. Having head three reports in a row of clubs in that situation it’s a relief that our next station stop, LNWR Locomotive, are in the midst of the rather more positive campaign. They reached the mid-point of their journey with a stop-off at Stoke City Ladies XI.
                          It would prove to be mostly a smooth ride for Viktor Boskovic’s charges. They got some good momentum up in the first half, the pace peaking midway through with goals from Constanza Arredondo (23 minutes) and Maja Teigland (27). The opener was forward Arredondo’s first in Locomotive colours.
                          Stoke provided a slight bump when they had a goal disallowed and then another not around the mid-point of the second half. However any thoughts of a comeback were quickly squelched by Gia Diana when she made it 3-1 on 70 minutes. Diana added a fourth on 82 to ensure victory with Teigland adding extra gloss with a fifth in the last minute of the 90.
                          Stoke were actually only one place below The Steamers at the start of play, but the gap between third and fourth in Division 5:17 is more of a chasm, as was evident from both the course of this match and also the league table ahead of it. Despite the comfortable win, LNWR remain third in the table, though they did close to within a point of the play-off spot after the current occupiers of that, Warriors FC, unexpectedly drew against a side in the bottom three.

OK, that was more upbeat. How about Ullapool Northern Star vs Lunachicks F.C.. Will that keep the positive vibes up? Erm…, next please!
                          It would prove to be a bad day at the office for Delicatemoth’s side, who were increasingly overrun as the match progressed. The Scots held on to a 0-0 for a long time into it, up to the 75th minute in fact, but this was a real backs-to-the-wall effort. Once the opener had gone in Ullapool’s players were understandable deflated, which resulted in two more for Lunachicks late on.
                          The loss saw Polaris lose two places in the Division 5:19 standings, dropping from second to fourth. They are now one of four sides on 13 points, who currently occupy second to fifth places in the table. Leaders FC Northern Ladies are two points clear of this gaggle.

One point and a very important place separated Zeugma Dostluk Spor and their hosts Kappa ahead of the teams matchday 7 clash.
                          The places in question being fifth and sixth in the Division 5:26 table, Zeugma coming into the game as the side a spot above the relegation zone. AntepliEjderha’s charges set about adding to that advantage in determined fashion and were rewarded for their industry with a 34th minute lead thanks to Aghavni Manookian’s strike.
                          ZDS had been the better side up to this point, and stayed that way after it as well. Their reward for that was a second goal, which may prove to be a landmark one as it was a career first for budding superstar Inci G?ncar, who as a 16/4 forward is a player with a lot of excitement around her.
                          The buzz is rather quieter about Zeugma in general at the moment, though moving up to third in the Division 5:26 table as they did with this win, will help. The problem is that the top two in this league have already nearly disappeared over the horizon; the Anatolians’ gap to the spot one above is eight points, whilst their advantage over sixth in the table is just four. Mid-table mundanity is probably the highest hope for the rest of the season.

Menywod Maeshafn targets were maybe not as high as Zeugma’s, but they were still ahead of where the Welsh side sat prior to their game against The Valkyries.
                          Victory in this one for Maeshafn was going to reduce the gap between the sides to a much more palatable single point, which made it a big game for IsThatcherDeadYet’s side. And one they got off to a great start in when Katherine Barker fired them ahead from long range after less than 3 minutes play.
                          The game stayed tight after this, but with a definite pattern – whilst Valkyries shaded possession, the majority of the chances were going Maeshafn’s way. That proved telling in the 73rd minute as Morgan Beck converted one of these openings to give her side a cushion. Which they needed seeing as Valkyries pulled one back 10 minutes later.
                          No equaliser was forthcoming though meaning a key win was banked by Maeshafn. It doesn’t lift them any places, they remain sixth in the Division 5:28 standings, but they are now only goal difference from safety. And indeed only five points adrift of the league leaders. A good run in the second half of the season and who knows…?

It’s been a rocky start to the SitsWithRemote era at Corso Marsiglia. Would his new look Juventus finally being to gel against fellow mid-table side Barbie FC?
                          A dominant first half performance gave the answer to that as yes, very much so. Juve were 3-0 up at the interval, Susanna Millen getting the opener on 12 minutes and also the third on 34, either side of a strike from Idde Brugge with 18 on Laura Norder’s watch. Also between Millen’s two strikes was a missed penalty – she could have had a first-half hattrick.
                          Not that the wasted spot-kick proved particularly important, with a fourth from Brugge on 65 minutes making the game extra safe (in truth it already was sealed and delivered). That final goal did have an effect though – it lifted The Old Lady above Barbie on goal difference. The climb is only from sixth to fifth in the table, and the top two in Division 6:12 remain out of reach, but little baby steps etc…

A bit of zombie killing was the fare for Hazeldean Inchmistress when they took on Lilywhite Ladies.
                          Lilywhite were a particular sort of zombie though, the actually fast moving kind. That means they lack threat up front (no conscious mind to handle the co-ordination), but are tough to get through as they work hard. Their record in previous games of just 14 conceded but only 2 scored attested to that.
                          Breaking them down took all of Inchmistress’ gumption and patience. It took until the 80th minute for the breakthrough to arrive, Elvia Mej?a firing home directly from a free-kick to boss Foxy265’s clear relief. Two minutes later the points were safe thanks to Elinor Ernstr?m finish and in stoppage time they were ultra-safe after the hosts Diana Ling picked up her second yellow card of the afternoon.
                          Victory saw The Imperials close back to within four points of second placed Fuego Eagles. There is a side in the gap between them though, meaning Hazeldean are currently fourth in Division 6:41.

Invisible Ladies and Mawenzi were both heavily involved in the Division 6:42 promotion race ahead of the pair clashing at Nguvumali.
                          The See-Throughs were second in the table at kick-off, but only a point clear of their hosts, who sat fourth. The closeness of the standings was mirrored by the evenness of the contest. There was little between the sides, but that doesn’t mean it was chance free. Far from it in fact, the chances came regularly if not quite freely.
                          The first team to convert an opening was The See-Throughs, Sandie Parks racing through to finish on 64 minutes. The lead didn’t last though, Mawzeni levelling on 76. That would be the end of the scoring as the two teams had to settle for a point.
                          That result did cost PebbletheFish’s charges a spot in the 6:42 standings, as they slipped to third. At the halfway stage the play-off place is two points distant and the top of the table is four points away for Invisible.

Dublin City Womens FC had already lost to two of the other contenders in the four-way battle for promotion from Division 6:56 when they met the third, Pretty ladies to close out the opening half of the season (and also this report).
                          Mortal Joe’s side were fighting against the tide from the start of this one as pretty well throughout they only had about a third of possession. Dublin managed to keep Pretty ladies at arm’s distance despite that in the opening half. In fact the only attempt on goal was for the side from the Irish capital. After the break it was Pretty ladies turn as they made a couple of opportunities. And, crucially, took one of these after 78 minutes.
                          Dublin didn’t have another site of goal in the match and were forced to accept their third defeat from three against the other leading sides in 6:56. It leaves the Irish girls five points adrift of the top two at the mid-point of the season.

Comment

Thanks Janik, wonderful work. And good to see some happier tidings for Le Zebre. It was kind of you not to mention that Barbie’s manager has been absent for some weeks.

Comment

The official Ladies League Cup, Season 59, Round 4 report.

Code:
                              Black Sabbath           1 - 2   Viking South Utsira
                              Unanua 20'                      A.Kvalvik 84'
                                                              Y.Klovning 89'

Viking South Utsira     0 - 2   Black Sabbath
                                                              Astermark 16', 77'

Black Sabbath win 3-2 on aggregate

Busby Babes             1 - 1   Drakaina
                              B?ngman 2'                      Vulturescu (pen) 82'

Drakaina                2 - 1   Busby Babes
                              Byzhyti 57'                     B?ngman 71'
                              Heggarty 88'

Drakaina win 3-2 on aggregate

Gloriosas da Catedral   1 - 1   Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC
                              Navisyah (O.G.) 13'             Ikmal 38'

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC  1 - 1   Gloriosas da Catedral
                              Faia (O.G.) 34'                 Formigal 41'

2-2 on aggregate. Catedral win 5-3 on penalties

Santistas               1 - 1   Csiki Girls
                              Pil 72'                         Woozley 54'

Csiki Girls             0 - 2   Santistas
                                                              de Salazar 42'
                              Beck (sent off) 91'             Patr?cia Terra 87'

Santistas win 3-1 on aggregate
                              Doom was in the air for Viking South Utsira – and not just because their Round 4 opponents were from two tiers higher, but also because they were Black Sabbath.
                              That said there are reasons to be equally worried by Blood Eagles as well, and what took place in Birmingham was a proper gorefest. Oh, OK, no it wasn’t, but there was a minor injury after 5 minutes. I’m claiming that at least. Actually, what broke out was a football match, and an evenly balance one as Velvet Android’s side made light of the difference in levels. But one that, despite Viking’s good play, Black Sabbath led from the 20th minute.
                              That was still the score as the match entered the last 10, which was a decent score for VSU in the circumstances. 1-1 was much better though, which is what Anastasija Kvalvik made it with a strike on 84 minutes. How about 1-2? Because that is what the score became on 89 after Yasmine Klovning had turned things fully on their head.
                              Black Sabbath’s manager mentioned after the game that his side had been unbeaten at home in over fifty games! That shows the scale of Utsira’s win. It also put The Blood Eagles into a strong position ahead of the return leg as Sabbath now needed to score at least two. But that target was halved after only 16 minutes at Ragnar Rock, putting the tie on a knife-edge.
                              The situation was a tough one for the Viking players – push for another or hold on to what they had? They opted to try and hang on, creating no chances at all in the return match (the situation not helped by striker Nina Austrheim picking up a 10-day injury just after half time). And this didn’t work as Sabbath scored again on 77 minutes. It’s enough to make one paranoid [oh come on, you know I had to!].

A side with an excellent league pedigree took on one with recent Cup success when top flight (I’ll continue saying it) Drakaina clashed with season 57 Cup Finalists Busby Babes, who are currently in the fifth tier of the pyramid.
                              The Dragons had Zera Papavasillou in goal with Anastasia Shkolnikova out injured, though the chances are that boss Etienne would have put the younger player in anyway. Papavasillou was rapidly called into action, and one that proved beyond her as she was exposed by her defence on a 2nd minute breakaway that gave the Old Trafford side the lead.
                              After this Drakaina looked the better side, though only marginally so. The Greeks main threat proved to be Florica Vulturescu; she was denied once by ref George Buske’s whistle on 37 minutes, but then benefitted from the same on 82 when Buske awarded The Dragons a penalty that Vulturescu confidently despatched.
                              It finished 1-1, which gave Drakaina a very slight advantage ahead of the return at Delphi. The Dragons made a concerted attempt to build on that, creating four answered chances before the interval of the return game. But it was not until after it, the 57th minute to be precise, that Sandra Byzhyti managed to do so.
                              The value of Byzhyti’s goal became apparent in the 71st minute as Busby’s levelled on the night and on aggregate. That meant the match was heading to extra-time. Unless one team could net a late winner. And on 88 minutes an opportunity came to do just that when Susanna Barry’s through ball split open the Babes defence, sending Gael Heggarty steaming through. Heggarty kept her cool as the ‘keeper advanced, rounding the stopped and sliding the ball home.
                              There was no time for Busby’s to do anything about this, leaving The Dragons to advance to Round 5 and one-off ties at the Xpert Arena. Division 3b outfit Rangers FC is who they will face there. Rangers were quarter-finalists last season, but given Drakaina have just beaten a recent runner-up that doesn’t look too frightening.

An all Division 4 affair pitted Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC against Gloriosas da Catedral, with the first leg taking place at the Est?dio da Luz.
                              The Sea Spirits had the better of things despite being the away side in that opening leg, and also struck first. Sadly Catur Navisyah’s contribution was at the wrong end of the pitch! A setback, but not one to knock Kanjeng off their stride. Indeed striding through was what Rahma Ikmal did the in the 38th minute as she blew past the Catedral defence and finished coolly.
                              If any side was going to get a winner on the day in the second half it was SeanoftheShed’s charges. But despite having a brace of chances this goal wasn’t coming, meaning this was another delicately balance tie ahead of the second leg, if again tipped slight in the OTF outfit’s favour.
                              The Sea Spirits were positive in their attempts to build on this advantage at Merapi-Kraton-South Sea, and did so in the 34th minute of that game when Gloriosas midfielder Helena Faia put through her own net. However the visitors recovered reasonably promptly from that self-inflicted wound, levelling on the night and on aggregate prior to half-time.
                              The Sea Goddesses had the better of things statistically in the rest of the match, both in terms of percentage possession and also shots on goal. But unlike Drakaina that breakthrough for the winner just wouldn’t come. It didn’t for Gloriosas da Catedral, who never really came close and would have been pretty happy to settle for the penalty shoot-out that ensued.
                              Kanjeng were taking the even numbered kicks, so always trying to respond. Diksha Dalmiya, Utami Sangaji and Kacey Rust all did so successfully, but with the score standing at 4-3 Tyan Borot was denied. Da Catedral maintained their 100% conversion rate with their fifth kick to seal the deal and send Kanjeng out. Which felt very harsh as the Indonesians had been the better side in both games.

Our final tie of this round was also all-Division 4 as Csiki Girls clashed with Santistas.
                              The Csikis have found relief in the Cup from their tribulations elsewhere so far this season, and this game was no different despite the opponents being from the same tier as those causing such conniptions in league games. It’s amazing what a change in backdrop can do. Ad hoc’s side were out-possessioned but chances were tipped heavily in their favour, so there was substantial justification when Trudy Woozley headed them in front on 54 minutes.
                              The Csiki’s were hardly hanging on for the win, which does make Santistas’ leveller on 72 minutes a bit more irritating as it was their only effort on goal of the match. But once again 1-1 in an away leg is not a bad position to find oneself in if progress is the aim. But it’s also far from any kind of certainty, as all it takes is one goal conceded at home and that fragile margin of lead is completely wiped out.
                              Was it this, or a lack of confidence, that saw Csiki Girls make no chances in the return match? That wouldn’t have been a problem of itself if they also stopped Santistas making any, but that wasn’t the case. The visitors sights of goal were rare and isolated, but Csiki Girls were playing with fire here and they got burned in the 42nd minute.
                              There was long enough to turn it around, one goal would have force extra time, but the Csiki’s were not creating chances to do it. Time was already running out and the cause looking forlorn when a second for Santistas confirmed it… followed by a red card for Deb Beck in stoppage time which was just an extra nail or two bashed into an already completely sealed casket.

Round 5 draw - singles matches at a neutral venue
                              Code:
                              Drakaina                       vs   Rangers FC (3b)

Comment

Damn, I hadn't realised only Drakaina made it through on Saturday! Good luck Etienne, that looks a winnable one at least.

Many thanks Janik for the roundups, and sorry VSU couldn't provide you with a second leg to match the first – which in all seriousness must rank among my finest results in X11. I've never encountered Sabbath manager Metalac 'in person' before, but as a former world number 1 I was certainly aware of him, and it was very nice to find he was class personified. Not only did he point out that our dramatic late turnaround had ended that 50-odd game unbeaten home record of theirs (looking into it, I found this was an incredible 15 and a half months, or five seasons since their last loss there!) but the night before that first leg he actually complimented my management and predicted I'd do well in the tie when we were swapping some private messages, as he coincidentally had just noticed there might be a vacancy coming up in MLX. Alas I already had one (much more pushy!) candidate for it so had to put Metalac on hold for now. Just a word to the wise though for the MLXers here, the competition will get even tougher if he does join any time soon! And Black Sabbath are surely a team to keep an eye on in the coming Xpert Ladies seasons, as they're already extremely strong at D2 level and likely to be a top-tier club in another couple of seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  Wow, OK that's quite uncanny too! Turn that logo upside-down and it's going to be pretty damn close to Wouter's, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                    Nice, isn't it? I find it a bit freaky how well it works.
                                    I have to ask, how and when did you first notice this? Did you just happen to catch sight of a CNN broadcast in the mirror, and go "Oh wow, it's my initials!"?

Comment

I'm sorry I couldn't manage a review of Thursday's matches, things are a bit hectic for me at the minute.

Comment

Aww, never mind DM, these things happen – as indeed they did to me only a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Real Life gets in the way of the good stuff all too often.

Comment

I have to ask, how and when did you first notice this? Did you just happen to catch sight of a CNN broadcast in the mirror, and go "Oh wow, it's my initials!"?
                                            There is an episode of Veep* where the characters are watching a certain news channel on tv. We, the viewers, are supposed to see the characters, but for extra context we can also see a mirror that reflects the tv screen. Something in that reflection caught my eye.

*we binged the series sometime in the last month or so

Comment

So Whoft Fluffopolis, time to gird your OTF loins. In Divison 1, a point ahead of Banik Roystonov (after our surprising home defeat to die Ambosse on Monday) and 4 left to play. My big chance to manage a team in OTF for this first time ever. Up tonight, the banana skin of bottom of the table Athletico Deva, followed by games against the two teams above us and Janik's Banik. Our record so far against these tams this season - W0, D3, L1 (Banik). In theory (I think without getting all statto on this) we can still be relegated. Ulp.

Comment

Picking up on Foxy's mini-preview there, here's a rather hasty and last-minute round-up of Monday's action after real life got in the way somewhat beforehand:

OTF League roundup for 17th August: Season 59 round 14

Division 3
                                                Now the OTF League's sole remaining undefeated side this term,
                                                Great Northern Railway maintained their 7-point lead at the top of D3 with a straightforward 3-1 win at The Blomstrands (8th), while FC Gloryhammer (2nd) similarly eased past Richmond P&P (10th) 2-0 away. The Hammer are thus holding both Brian Munchingflapjack and New Dresden three points back in 3rd and 4th – despite their emphatic wins at Veni Vici Vigata (5th) by 3-0 and at Nieuwegein Kneebiters (6th) by 4-0, respectively, to open a 10-point gap between the top 4 and the rest. The only game involving two lower-table clubs saw Clydach Vale (7th) close up to just a point behind the Biters by defeating Wharfedale Generals (9th) 2-0 at home.

Division 2

Last Thursday’s shock home 2-1 defeat for longtime leaders Saltney Drawers at Heffron Hendecagon (their second loss in a row after going their first 11 fixtures unbeaten) saw the Drawers displaced from the D2 summit on goal difference by Steaua Bridge’s matching win at home to The Gang Play Football. On Monday they both drew 0-0 to hold steady in their respective positions, though new leaders Steaua were also outplayed at Heffron (5th) in turn and were slightly fortunate to escape with a goalless draw. Saltney in contrast overran Pinewood Passers (10th) at home yet did everything except put the ball in the net, and so had to stay put in 2nd.

3rd-placed Hampshire Deers could’ve cut the gap to the leading pair to 3 points, but also had to settle for a draw at home to OWC Albion (9th) by 1-1. Eintracht Midwest though totally blew the chance to close in on the promotion places by losing 2-1 at home to Wednesday de la Zouch (8th), to fall 4pts adrift of the Deers. With Cods of War (6th) drawing 2-2 at The Gang (7th) in a slam-bang encounter, Weds were thus the only winners in the division on the day, and although still in a relegation place are now level on points with TGPF – and just three behind Eintracht, Heffron and Cods.

Division 1

After four consecutive 1-0 wins then a 1-1 followed by three straight 0-0s, Zeugmaspor’s 12-game unbeaten start finally puttered out last Thursday in a 2-1 home loss to second-bottom Eriskay Expression. Hideous Towns however blew the chance to take over at the top of D1 with a simultaneous 0-0 stalemate at Wensleydale Blues. Then, on Monday, Zeugma finally regained their mojo with a somewhat against-the-run-of-play 1-0 win at Locomotiv Noj (6th) despite being outshot 5 to 2, giving them a first win in six at an ideal time. They pull three points clear again at the summit as Hideous could only draw 1-1 at home to Rejects Redux (5th), though after trailing for 3/4 of the game to the Rejects’ only shot Towns did at least force a last-minute equaliser – albeit they then lost top defender Daniel Buumeijer to a horrible injury in stoppage time to throw their promotion bid back into doubt.

Whoft Fluffopolis, mind, blew the chance to join Hideous on 26 points by getting turned over 2-1 at home by die Ambosse (8th), who still can’t string any form together but are at least picking up (self-)isolated wins now. They would’ve jumped out of the dropzone for only the second time all season, if not for Wensleydale (7th) winning 2-1 at Athletico Deva (10th) to stay ahead on GD. Eriskay (9th) meanwhile could not capitalise on their Saltney win; despite taking an early home lead over Banik Roystonov (4th), the Islanders slumped back to a 2-1 defeat to remain joint-bottom with Deva.
                                                Nobody moved places at all in the division, in fact, but the Blues and Anvils victories have transformed the 1-point gap between themselves and Expression/Deva into a 4-point one at a crucial stage. The other key result was Banik’s win, which brought them to just a point behind Whoft and the promotion line, and moved them two clear of the Rejects.

OTF

Any fears of a wobble from St Pancras Starmers after their first defeat a week earlier have been allayed by two more wins – a somewhat fortunate 2-0 at Vita Mortis last Thursday, then a nervy 2-1 at home to Kernow Kensa (4th) this Monday where despite having 8 shots to 1 it took the leaders until the 68th minute for Duke Bateman to net the winner. Croesoswallt Dragons (2nd) on the other hand outshot Berkshire Swine (7th) by 5 to 1 at home, yet had to settle for a 1-1 draw that deals a huge blow to their fading hopes of snatching a 14th title this season.

The gap at the summit is now back up to 8 points, though one notable quirk of the title race is that both the top two have goals for/against of 22-11 for the campaign. The Dragons also actually increased their lead on Four Candles (3rd) after the defending champs’ 8-game unbeaten streak went up in smoke with two defeats in a row. Monday saw them go down to a late 2-1 at Csiki Monkeys (8th) – who climbed to just 2 points below the safety line to give themselves a great chance of beating the drop.

Dandy Town (5th) and Great Ouse Town (9th) fought out an evenly-contested 1-1 at the Stade Andy Liver that brings the Dandies level on points with Kensa though drops Ouse below the Monkeys. Only six points span 4th to 9th however with four rounds to play, meaning Vita Mortis made perhaps the most significant move of the day with a 4-1 win at Turd Division to leapfrog the Swine to 6th by a point. Mortis however have beaten the Turds and Dandies twice each and no-one else at all, meaning they are in as much danger as anyone still.
                                                Well, maybe not anyone – Turds (10th) are 10 points and -14 goals from safety with 12 points left up for grabs, meaning it is win or bust for them today. Their Thursday fixture? Away at St Pancras...

And on that note, of course – if results go the Starmers' way, they could convert an 8-point lead with 12 left on the table into a 9- or 11-point one with only 9 left to play for, meaning it is possible Delicatemoth could clinch her long-awaited first ever OTF League title as soon as today.
                                                Last edited by Various Artist; 20-08-2020, 16:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                                  There is an episode of Veep* where the characters are watching a certain news channel on tv. We, the viewers, are supposed to see the characters, but for extra context we can also see a mirror that reflects the tv screen. Something in that reflection caught my eye.
                                                  Oh, I love it – so you really did see the CNN logo in a mirror then!

Comment

Just got the ability to post here, so I wanted to poke my head in and say how much I appreciate the recaps!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X