No announcement yet.

X11 season 45 - de rigueur Mortis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must congratulate Janik, meanwhile, on the typically sterling work in the last page or two. I'd been avoiding this thread lately for spoiler reasons as I've been routinely way behind on catching up with results in the game, so further apologies for the delay while I finish catching up with your opuses ... opi? ... opiates? ... er, review things. Real life has been a bit shitty recently with a bereavement in my close family, so for what it's worth I'm grateful to all of you fine people from this thread and on the boards/in the game in general: they've been a very welcome escape, particularly when I've been sitting around in front of the computer with my mind just sort of flailing helplessly, which have enabled me to act 'normal' (hah!) a lot more of the time than I otherwise might have.

I spotted in another thread just now that jdsx has had a similar thing happen, so I hope all's OK with you too mate.

Gawd, reading back up the last page I hope pebble's all right as well. It's always a worry when familiar faces, so to speak, disappear off the radar for a while.
    Last edited by Various Artist; 21-10-2018, 18:24.

Comment

I'm here VA, I just can't be arsed with X11 at the moment. I'm seriously considering walking away at the end of this MLX season.

Comment

If that's how you feel, SDR, then you would probably be better off passing on the admin role. Doing it can be a chore it must be said, and a VIP league and everything that goes with it sounds even more of one than the one I have. Hope you get your mojo back at some point.

Comment

Yeah, you're right - the whole game has become a chore and I'm getting zero enjoyment from it, so I'm not doing the admin role justice right now. If anyone's interested in taking it on, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            If that's how you feel, SDR, then you would probably be better off passing on the admin role. Doing it can be a chore it must be said, and a VIP league and everything that goes with it sounds even more of one than the one I have. Hope you get your mojo back at some point.
            Yes, this. As I think I noted recently the league I get least enjoyment from is really the one I run, ironically enough, and that's in part because it's the one I run. (I did manage to get rid of that duty once when I took the old Brythonnic League, where I'd ended up holding the fort, into a merger with the Premiership – but eventually the merged league's top job fell upon me too, so...)

As Sean says it can definitely help the mojo if you hand on the admin role if that's become a right chore – with the extra unique challenges adminning MLX presents I can quite understand where you're coming from SdR. I'm sorry for my own near-absence from that league the last two or three weeks; as I said there the other day it was frankly a relief recently to have the league being in abeyance as it was one thing I didn't have to think about while other stuff was going on, but I feel guilty for not being more present to assist with the recruitment attempts and I don't think any of the managers whose arms I had tried to twist took the bait either. Was a bit startled to find Gary had quit the league, but his attitude recently suggested he'd lost his own mojo somewhat so in that sense not completely surprising. Hopefully we can start looking to recruit some brand new clubs for next season to see about getting back towards 64, but I definitely hope AA-S are still in the ranks too.

Who could we wrangle into the admin role in the meantime, if necessary? I vote AE, I reckon he'd be brilliant...

Comment

Thanks VA, I'd love to do it but my 3 month old takes up all of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                I spotted in another thread just now that jdsx has had a similar thing happen, so I hope all's OK with you too mate.
                Cheers VA. My brother-in-law (wife's younger brother) died recently at the age of 50. Was going to post in the 'Cancer - bastard' thread but couldn't face it somehow. I've actually found X11 quite cathartic (I realise that's not the correct word, but it will have to do for now) recently, hence taking on a new club in the J4GL.
                My sincere thanks to SdR and the other admins, and also to Janik for his 'ladies' digests'. I realise it must be a real pain to try to recruit people, but there are quite a few of us who seem to get something out of it, so....well.....thanks...

Comment

As another mojo-wrestler of late I can sympathise with SdR. “Vanilla” adminning you can get away with laissez faire for a while which I must confess to. Recruitment is just about manageable but a VIP league looks hell.

There are a lot of whingers on the MLX Scribble - one of them can do it!

Hope we see Pebble again.

Comment

Did Gary C ever say why he left? If he came back I'm sure he'd make a decent admin.

Comment

I thought he just stopped being VIP so had no choice.

Comment

Would it help to ditch the VIP aspect and lose the MLX Cup?

On the general point about enthusiasm, I'm not exactly throwing myself into the game with press releases and scribble but it's quite nice just to have the OTF League to focus on these days.
                        Last edited by Kevin S; 23-10-2018, 08:40.

Comment

I think a returning admin would be a better option. Winky thing.

Didn't realise that's why Gary C left Etienne, thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            … but it's quite nice just to have the OTF League to focus on these days.
                            Am enjoying Division 2 this season, it has to be said.

Comment

Yeah, pleasingly close this season. No idea where we'll end up.

Mind you, I will need to do a fair bit of work in the close season - Steaua Bridge will be down to 12 players (1-4-5-2) after the retirements - so it almost doesn't matter which division we end up in.

Comment

I messaged Gary_C and it was a conscious choice to ditch VIP. I think he's another one struggling a little with his X11 commitments.

Comment

So to be clear, could we still have a champions' league format if we dropped the cup and the VIP?

Comment

Yep. CL format is fine for non-VIP leagues as long as the admin is a VIP.

Well, in fact the cup could technically continue since the thing you get as a VIP league is the possibility of having two league matches a week plus cup matches on a third day. A non-VIP league can have one league match a week plus cup matches, as in the official leagues. But that might be too slow for some, especially with the postseason.
                                    Last edited by Kevin S; 23-10-2018, 12:01.

Comment

In which case dropping the cup seems most sensible. Acknowledging it carries your name Kev.

Comment

X11 Ladies Season 53, Matchday 3.

Code:
                                        Division 1a

Viking South Utsira	0 - 3	Van Helsings GLS
                                        				Tinson 34'
                                        				Zeraldo 73'
                                        				D´Aniello 76'

Division 3d

Wallisellen Cats 	1 - 3	Drakaina
                                        Rodrigues 2'			Petit 33', 76'
                                        				Sietaridis 40'

Division 4i

Erbil			1 - 2	Q.P.R Ladies
                                        Hinton 84'			Asani 62'
                                        				Haslop 87'

LNWR Locomotive		0 - 2	Chelsea Ladies FC
                                        				Hagen 45'
                                        				Pepper 73'

Division 4k

Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC	1 - 0	Ambush Ladies FC
                                        Azeite 60'

Division 5:17

Coxy Ladies Wulpen	3 - 3	Immortal Angels
                                        van Sttenberghe 2'		Norris (pen) 9'
                                        Leclercq 14'			McKay 36'
                                        Beyen 58'			Bergwitz 44'

Division 5:19

The Supremes 		1 - 4	Sockford Emollient
                                        Kolberg 59'			Reigel 54'
                                        				Duggan 76'
                                        				Parks 83'
                                        				Batistuta 88'

Division 5:28

Pakistan FC 		0 - 2	Menywod Maeshafn
                                        				Westerberg 18', 21;

Division 5:31

Csiki Girls		4 - 0	Orangeries
                                        Igreja 10'
                                        Granheim 30'
                                        Smet 46'
                                        McInns 57'

Division 6:40

Ullapool Northern Star	3 - 1	Stade Brest
                                        Mouatt 8'			Edelberg 29'
                                        Grüber (O.G.) 36'
                                        Sehlstedt 80'

Division 6:43

Solent Sirens		1 - 1	Invisible Ladies
                                        de Beauvoir 48'			Shuttlewood 16'

Division 6:44

Big and Beautiful 	0 - 0	Witches of Chiswick

Riverbankers WFC	0 - 1	Zenit Odenplan Ladies
                                        				Planojevic 45'

Division 6:53

Zeugma Dostluk Spor	5 - 2	London Lovers
                                        Mansiz 12', 52'			Isidro 1', 58'
                                        Forsyth 22'
                                        Hammarbro 44'
                                        Oxenstierna 78'

Division 6:57

Dublin City WFC		0 - 0	Real Persian CF
                                        Norse warriors against Vampire hunters was the fare on offer when Viking South Utsira took on Van Helsings GLS.
                                        The Blood Eagles are the more established side at this level, with Van Helsings playing their first ever second-tier season but it was the visitors who took command in this game. They went ahead just past the half-hour, and then took things to another level in a dominant second-half display. All that was lacking was the coup de grace of a stake to the heart, and that was delivered by two goals in four minutes with around a quarter-of-an-hour to play.
                                        Defeat saw Velvet Android’s side drop a number of places to sit fifth in the Division 1a standings.

Week 3 took Drakaina to Switzerland and a visit to Wallisellen Cats.
                                        The hosts opened the scoring inside 2 minutes, but that would prove a false dawn for them rather than a prelude as The Dragons went through the gears. Etienne’s side had already had a number of chances to equalise prior to Sandrine Petit’s 33rd minute leveller and were deservedly ahead before the break when Laria Sietaridis also struck.
                                        Sietaridis was denied a brace on 63 minutes by referee Seymour Red’s whistle but Petit wasn’t, her 76th minute header making certain the Greeks would leave with all three points neatly tucked away. Those lifted Drakaina to second in the Divison 3d table, level on points with the leaders.

Erbil’s search for an opening league win continued against Q.P.R Ladies.
                                        The first half at the Erbil Arena belonged to the visitors, but without reward as the hosts clung on. They kept it level until the hour mark, and then, following the Hoops breakthrough, continued to frustrate the QPR attack. That meant it was still 0-1 when Caroline Hinton was sent clear in the 84th minute, and she kept her cool to finish.
                                        That looked like it might have stolen an against-the-grain point for Jdsx’s side, but sadly it was only a few minutes later when QPR went in front again, this time for good.
                                        It was a similar sort of tale (even down to the West London opposition) at Mollington Street as LNWR Locomotive hosted Chelsea Ladies FC.
                                        In this case the visitors possessional dominance was rewarded prior to the interval, a goal coming in the final minute of the first half. Viktor Boskovic attempted to rally his troops at the break, but The Steamers were far from boiling point and unable to exert any pressure. It was no great surprise when Chelsea added a second, therefore.
                                        The Division 4i table has a slightly sad look to it at the moment, as Erbil occupy sixth place and Locomotive prop up the rest. Both are three points from safety.

The trap was set, but would Kanjeng Ratu Kidul WFC be so easily snared by Ambush Ladies FC?
                                        The watchword for The Sea Spirits was caution, and they displayed it perfectly, holding a tight defensive formation and only attempting sharp strikes. That meant there wasn’t a surfeit of chances in the game, but those that were fashioned all went in the direction of SeanoftheShed’s side. That meant one goal would be enough, and it arrived on the hour mark and in appropriate fashion; a quick break, a free-kick won in shooting range and an accurate strike by Leila Azeite. Scope for a counter-attack? Zero.
                                        Victory pushed the Indonesians up to second in the Division 4k table, though a hefty four points adrift of the leaders.

Talking of leaders, that is precisely where Coxy Ladies Wulpen stood ahead of their meeting with Immortal Angels.
                                        The Waders were swiftly ahead, Eva van Sttenberghe firing home from range in only the second minute, but were pegged back before the ten minute mark when the Angels levelled from the spot. Alicia Leclercq restored Wulpen’s advantage, but once again it didn’t last all that long. In fact, Janik’s side went into the break behind after their opponents converted all three first-half chances they created.
                                        If an Immortal Angles goal in the 50th minute had stood then it’s dubious whether Coxy Ladies, for all their possession and chances, would have recovered. But it didn’t, much to the relief of the Curlew’s Nest faithful and eight minutes later the reward arrived when Charlotte Beyen broke clear to make it 3-3.
                                        Further chances came and went, mostly for The Waders, but all square it stayed as the manager’s experiment with a 3-4-3 formation was rated ‘unsuccesful’. Despite the dropped points, Wulpen stayed top of Division 5:17 as their nearest rivals Michael Michael Micky doo were also held to a draw in rather more conventional fashion (0-0).

Detroit was the destination as Sockford Emollient travelled to Motown Records to play The Supremes.
                                        Now the obvious thing to do here would be to work in a series of puns using song titles, wouldn’t it? However either I don’t know enough of their oeuvre or they are rather difficult to twist into a Football context (any ideas for Baby Love?). So let’s concentrate on The Gatorsharks instead. Foxy265’s girls had the better of the opening half but had to wait until the 54 minute to take the lead (you can’t hurry... um... scoring?), Leila Reigel firing home.
                                        Five minutes later, and totally against the run of play, it was 1-1. However Emollient just kept on coming, and were back ahead again on 76 minutes when Toni Duggan pounced. This time there would be no coming back as Monica Parks and Alexia Batistuta also registered to give Sockford an ultimately convincing and on performance deserved 4-1 success.
                                        That enabled The Gatorsharks to be climbers on the Division 5:19 hit parade, moving up to the number three spot.

Menywod Maeshafn and Pakistan FC were the only two teams to hold 100% records in Division 5:28 after the opening two weeks of the season. Something had to give then when they clashed in South Asia.
                                        IsThatcherDeadYet’s charges started strongly, and went ahead on 18 minutes when Ada Westerberg fired in from range. Just three minutes later Westerberg registered again, from much closer in this time. And, well, that would prove to be that as far as scoring went.
                                        Not that Maeshafn eased off their attacking in the rest of the match, they continued to have shots up until the final whistle, but being two up the need to commit masses of bodies forward was gone. It all added up to a pretty comfortable win, one that saw them leapfrog their hosts to the summit of 5:28, where the Welsh side now boast a three point cushion.

Two draws for Csiki Girls was a slightly slow start to the season. However, they had high hopes of getting things moving against an Orangeries side with two defeats and no goals scored.
                                        The Csiki’s were a goal up inside 10 minutes, Carlota Igreja heading home and though they lost key midfielder Eleena Munoz to a 9-day injury soon after the hosts pressure didn’t let up. Elly Granheim made it two on the half hour, and after the break Floriane Smet (46) and Saoirse McInns (57) also struck as Ad hoc’s side eased into more encouraging form.
                                        The win shot Csiki Girls way up the Division 5:31 table. They now occupy second place, two points behind the leaders.

Comment

Some people have the sense of humour not just of a child, but a particularly stupid one. Such was the prick in charge of Ullapool Northern Star’s opponents Stade Brest.
                                          Now Stade Brestois are a French club, but any question of the intent behind the name can easily be resolved by looking at the plunging necklines of the ‘football shirts’ the sexist idiot has his side in. So yes, Brest is the same sound combination as breast. Well spotted. With time and careful training you might, at some point, be smart enough to hold your own in a primary school.
                                          So we now know what delicatemoth was dealing with. Fortunately Northern Star are a very solid team these days, and they were ahead soon enough, Mary-Leslie Mouatt heading in an 8th minute corner. The visitors levelled on 29 minutes, and they also scored the next goal as well. However Becky Grüber’s 36th minute ‘effort’ was an entirely the wrong end!
                                          Ullapool held their opponents at arm’s length for most of the second half before killing the game with a third on 80 minutes, Astrid Sehlstedt nodding home. Results from elsewhere left Star as the only 100% team in Division 6:40, with a three point lead at the top of the table.

A familiar name came a-visiting Solent Sirens as Pebblethefish’s old charges at Invisible Ladies were the Mayfield Park visitors.
                                          And it was The See-Throughs who started the better, taking the lead in the 16th minute. Solent had more possession during the opening half, but without creating a chance of their own, something boss Andrew7610 insisted they need to rectify as soon as possible after the break. His team were clearly listening, Simone de Beauvoir firing in a long range shot on 48 minutes.
                                          Would that be the start of a second-half reversal? Well, no, it was actually the end of the scoring as, having levelled, The Sirens didn’t manage another shot. Invisible did crate two more, but couldn’t score either.
                                          The draw left Solent with five points from three games, good enough for third place in the Division 6:43 table albeit four points adrift of the two 100% sides in this section.

Witches of Chiswick took on a side with the sort of unacceptable name that we will probably never get rid of in Big and Beautiful. It’s not OK because it’s sexualised in a context where that is irrelevant to anything.
                                          On the park, it was not a particularly great day for The Bewitched. They only held 40% possession, but were at least creating chances on the counter, four of them in total. Sadly, however, Wiblflibl’s side couldn’t force any of these home. The good news was the same held at the other end, the hosts only ‘goal’ on 44 minutes being disallowed.
                                          Once again Riverbankers WFC were without manager SouthdownRebel as they took on Zenit Odenplan Ladies.
                                          That was a pity as The Bankies came close to matching their visitors without having a guiding hand steering them. Yes, they only had about a third of possession, and yes they also managed no shots, but Zenit only got three off themselves and converted just one of them.
                                          The good news for The Bankside faithful is the manager has been spotted subsequently at the training ground, so hopefully there will be better news soon for Riverbankers. Because as it stands they remain bottom of Division 6:44 without a point or a goal. Meanwhile Chiswick sit fifth, two points adrift of the play-off spot.

Zeugma Dostluk Spor manager Antepli Ejderha has been known to send his sides out to play a grinding sort of game. But there was no evidence of that as his side took on London Lovers.
                                          The coming extravagance may have been sparked by London taking the lead in the first minute. That spurred Zeugma in to action, Makbule Mansiz levelling on 12 minutes and Rachel Forsyth also netting on 22 as the match was turned on its head. For the record Forsyth teed up Mansiz’s equaliser and Mansiz returned the favour with a lay-off for Forsyth’s goal.
                                          Mansiz also delivered the 44th minute corner from which Tova Hammarbro headed a third and then was on hand herself to bullet home the fourth from a Forsyth flag-kick. A four point game (two goal, two assist) is remarkable enough, but this was utterly extraordinary as Mansiz is just 18 and this was her senior debut. It’s all downhill from here, love...
                                          Talking of which, the Lovers were not done yet either, pulling it back to 4-2 in the 58th minute. One more goal was needed for breathing space, and with Mansiz having been subbed off exhausted in the 65th minute (she received an understandable standing ovation from the Insan Haklari Stadyumu crowd), it was left to others to provide this, Liv Oxenstierna heading in Ana Lúcia Lucas’ 78th minute corner.
                                          That, finally, was the end of the scoring. The win propelled Zeugma up to third in the Division 6:53 table, a point shy of the play-off spot.

As always this season, our last visit is to Dublin City WFC, who took on Real Persian CF at Phoenix Park.
                                          Once again they did so without manager Mortal Joe’s guiding hand. Despite that, and a minor injury to goalkeeper Patrícia Inácio early on, Dublin were the better side in this match. They had more of the ball, and more of the chances, particularly in the second-half. If any team deserved to win the day it was them, but ultimately the reward would be just a point from a goalless draw.
                                          That left Dublin, well, bottom of Division 6:57, though with two points to their name and only four adrift of the play-offs in second. If the manager returns (and again, he has been seen since this match) then this is a recoverable situation.

Comment

A great round up as usual Janik, Makbule Mansız had a dream debut which you more than did justice to her efforts.

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to worry anyone. Yes I've left the game, and pretty much the entire internet, mainly because I no longer have internet access, but I've got a lot going on and I don't really have the time. But no, thankfully I'm not back in hospital.

Comment

Hope all works out for you pebble. Taking care of yourself is the most important thing. All the best, mate.

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

Yes very best of luck Pebble, thanks for your big contribution to this thread, OTF's X11 community and the wider OTF. Let's hope we see you back.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X