No announcement yet.

Blood Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His army had a rubbish record though. A smallish number of hard as nails but expensive units usually ended up outnumbered and outmanoeuvred. The daemonettes on steeds could move quickly but would end up isolated. Eventually I got some Dark Elves as allies to use their crossbows and repeater bolt thrower but once the 5th edition came out I switched to the Bretonnians.

Comment

Just got home from my second Bolt Action League match where I managed to secure my second victory in a really enjoyable, tight fought match up.

This time is was my US Airborne with 12 dice against the league organiser's German army with 10, although bearing in mind that 2 of my dice were unarmed transports (a Dodge truck and a jeep) we were pretty evenly balanced order dice wise.

We played a game where the table is divided into 4 quarters and there's an objective in the middle of each. Each army deploys in diagonally opposite quarters and then at the end of the game the objective in your quarter is worth 1 point to you but 10 points to your opponent and the two neutral objectives are worth 5 each. Units killed/dice taken were also worth 2 points each.

The game was incredibly swingy with both of us having exceptional runs of good (my sniper killing his sniper with the first shot of the game, his Puma armoured car wiping out my bazooka team with two sixes to hit, followed by two sixes to kill) and bad luck (my Dodge truck, which was supposed to move up the table and drop off my combat engineers, complete with flamethrower, failing a morale roll and immediately reversing back where it had come from, his Puma also failing a morale test and spending most of the rest of the game stuck in the corner of the table).

I started strongly and seemed to be in command but during the middle turns he quickly removed my light howitzer, bazooka team, officer and sniper, which made it look pretty bad for me but a couple of close quarters assaults against some of his weakened units evened things up a little

In the end it came down to my indomitable Sherman managing to shrug off a shot from his Panzer III (it had already survived a couple of Panzerfaust hits), whilst a unit of riflemen ran onto the enemy objective securing me 10 points. Had the Sherman not survived he would have been free to use his Panzer to shoot up my troops and my men probably wouldn't have made it.

Thanks to my Dodge truck shenanigans he was very close to getting one of his units to my home objective but not quite, so in the end I had 16 points for objectives to his 5 although he ended with 5 kills to my 3, leaving the final score 22-15 to me.

Whilst it didn't really do much damage and failed to so much as scratch the Panzer III's paintwork my Sherman was probably my MVP (using suitably American terminology) just for sticking around to the end, drawing fire and allowing my other units to pick up the points.

TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

Comment

I built 7 members of the Necromantic Horror Blood Bowl team last night. It's one sprue's worth. The zombies were fiddly.

Mrs Thistle bought me the first edition of the new Warhammer 40K part-work today. It comes with a Space Marine leader and a Necron boss. Not bad for £2.99. Last time there was a part-work I bought the first one and got 3 Space Marines so I've got a little army developing now.
        Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 03-09-2021, 18:45.

Comment

Built the figures. One dab of glue required. The Necron was fiddly

Comment

Squad!

Comment

Match Report

Dinas Delvers 0-1 Bayside Vermin

(Match abandoned at half time as it was getting late and both managers were tired!)

My mate found his dwarf team. I played with the skaven team with the addition of an ogre. We played the new season 2 rules which meant we had to look a load of things up and that slowed us down.

I still like that your team go ends if (when) you mess up a dice roll. On my last go I was one failed agility test from picking up a loose ball and making a break for the end zone. How can a skaven flunk an agility roll? Agility is about all they've got. But he fluffed the pick up and that was it for the night.

It was the first time we had played using a dwarf team. Their trollslayers have a special skills that means they can go up against stronger players and take them on at no disadvantage. My ogre ended up on his back after one encounter.

It took a few turns for one of the teams to get the ball in hand and then it was a sprint to the end zone for one of my gutter runners. He later got pushed into the crowd and knocked out.

Action shots to follow. First a scrimmage line melee...
              Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 08-09-2021, 22:33.

Comment

(Yes the dwarves are only half painted!)

The rat pursues a bouncing ball

Comment

And SCORE!!!

Comment

Love it. Visited my mum on Monday but, unfortunately, not sure where, if anywhere, my old Bloodbowl and Warhammer stuff is. Fingers crossed its all up in the loft.

Currently painting up some Royal Marine Commandos for a doubles event in November. Going to be teaming up with my friend and his US Marines. The theory is that his marines are very shooty shooty and my Commandos are very fighty, fighty, so he can pin everything down whilst my guys run about charging and, hopefully, beating seven shades of shit out of everyone... that's the theory anyway.

Comment

I never played it, or anything else out of the Wuuh*****r stable, but did early incarnations feature teams of trolls and hobbits where the trolls as quarterbacks would throw the hobbits for ten yards / touchdowns?

Comment

I feel I'm being lured into a trap but all editions have had some sorts of big guys that can throw small players around the pitch. The current edition has Trolls, Ogres and Treemen (ents) who can throw Snotlings, Gnoblars, Halflings and Goblins.

Usually not well, and the thrown team mate is more likely to get injured than land safely but it's an option.

Comment

There's a "star player" combo of an ogre and halfling who have got the act of throwing a teammate down to a fine art.

Comment

Comment

Found a 30 year old WH40K Ork Warbuggy I had tucked away in a box, so I thought I’d give it a fresh lick of paint.

Comment

Put that on the table during your next round of Bolt Action and see what they say

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Put that on the table during your next round of Bolt Action and see what they say
                                  Well the gunner Ork is wearing a Stahlhelm (German style helmet) so I could possibly sneak it on with my German Grenadiers...

Comment

Off to Bristol on Saturday to take part in my second Bolt Action tournament. There's a contingent from my local gaming club doing a carshare so it should be a fun, if nerdy, road trip.

Its a 1250 point tournament rather than 1000 like the last one, so rather than my no armour US Airborne list from last time I've got a new list with not one but two shiny Shermans to support the plucky paratroopers. My hope is that with two medium tanks I can gang up on any enemy armour and then use them to cause chaos amongst the enemy backlines whilst my veteran paratroopers push up and secure the objectives. Of course, as they say, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Great, thanks to a positive lateral flow test I'll now have to wait for my second tournament. Realise it's far from the worst thing to happen because of Covid but I'm gutted, was really looking forward to it.

Comment

Another addition to the roster

Comment

I want a wood elf team now

Comment

Played a practice doubles Bolt Action game last night in preparation for a tournament in a few weeks time. Me and a friend fielded 600 points of my Royal Marine Commandos with 600 points of his US Marines against an experienced member of our club playing a mixed force of 600 points of British Paras, with tank support, and German Gerbirgsjagers (mountain troops), so not exactly a historical match up.

It was absolute carnage right from the off, with various multiple rocket launchers, howitzers and mortars raining death and destruction from the heavens. My HQ squad was wiped out within a turn or two, taking a direct hit from a rocket barrage and then a massive artillery barrage. Despite this during the early turns we were doing pretty well, my Commando light mortars were chipping away at the German squads and the Paras and some intense fire from six Tommy gun wielding Commandos did for all but one of another squad of Paras. The one remaining guy, the NCO, did stick around, passing a morale check and became integral to some of the latter scraps. The US Marine artillery managed to suppress the two British tanks, effectively neutralising them, albeit only temporarily. A brave US Marine bazooka team in a jeep zoomed up the table, jumped out and put a shot right into the side of one of the tanks only to see it harmlessly bounce off. They were then brutally mown down by some intense German machine gun fire for their troubles.

Just as the combined Marines force looked to be getting the upper hand the Germans brought on their two motorcycle sidecars from reserve and they proceeded to dart around shooting up all and sundry. Two of my Commando squads managed to make it to two of the four objectives but then just had to dig in and hang on for grim death as shots zeroed in on them from all angles.

The Germans also sent on their Kettenkrad with a Panzershrek team who proceeded to speed across the table, jump off and put a rocket straight into the Marine Corps jeep, blowing it sky high. Some revenge was had when a Commando squad and the Royal Marine artillery observer, who'd already lost his two attendants, assaulted the now stationary Kettenkrad and one of the motorcycle sidecars with grenades with predictable consequences for the vehicles.

By this time one of the British Stuart light tanks had been finished off by a howitzer fired over open sights but the other one that had been pinned down managed to get moving again and proceeded to pour even more fire into the beleaguered Commandos on one of the objectives.

The two German Gerbirgsjager squads managed to occupy the building next to two of the objectives and despite taking lots of shots proved impossible to winkle out. Sensing victory slipping away the remaining three members of a Commando squad bravely/recklessly assaulted one of the buildings containing ten Germans but despite killing four of them they were wiped out in the ensuing melee.

After six turns of complete and utter bedlam we worked out the result and on objectives it was a draw (1 each and 2 contested) but the combined Marine force had scraped a very narrow victory by killing more of the opposing force.

It was a fantastic game which swung back and forth, exactly as you want. There were some incredible dice rolls both for and against, probably the worst was one of the veteran US Marine squads having two consecutive FUBARs (rolls of double sixes for an order check) in turns 4 and 5 which forced them to retreat right to the back table edge almost costing us victory.

I think there might be a bit of tinkering with our lists before the tournament, we probably need some armoured support, but with some good dice rolls I think we could do alright (famous last words).
                                            Last edited by Tratorello; 27-10-2021, 20:31.

Comment

Had a double header for my Bolt Action League on Saturday and ended up losing both games, one narrowly, one not so narrowly, which means I'm no longer top of the league although going into the last game I still have a chance to win it. I need to win and rely on one other result to go my way.

A bit annoyed with myself for losing one of the games although, to be fair, they both came down to some dice rolls which could have gone either way.

Playing in a doubles tournament this Saturday possibly against some of the other league players (depends on the draw). Just need to get my army fully painted...

Comment

Eep! There's a Kroxigor coming out...

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ld-pre-orders/

Comment

Great fun at today's doubles tournament. We came away with two wins and a loss, with every game being nail biting right to the last dice. May go into more detail at some point but suffice to say it was intense and a huge amount of fun.

I really am blessed to have such a well run wargaming club so local.

Comment

My betwixtmas purchase today

Comment

Working...
                                                    X