Blood Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood Bowl

Any other Blood Bowlers on here? I thought there was a thread about this but doing a site search only shows sporadic references in other threads.

Anyway, Games Workshop are finally showing some proper love to Blood Bowl with a complete relaunch.

I went into the Warhammer shop in town (they've rebranded) after work today and had a look at their display copy. The figures are plastic but really well detailed. The gaming elements are much better than my old 1980s pieces of clear plastic and, yeah, I'm really, really tempted to buy it. There is already a Death Zone expansion book that enables you to 'train' up players and make them better.

It's £65. I might buy it for myself as a reward for after I hand in my dissertation in January.

Blood Bowl

My Warhammer phase was 1996-2000, and Blood Bowl was being withdrawn about that time. Never really understood the concept that these races which were locked in eternal battle for the mortal realms would get together for a game of footy, but it did look quite good fun.

Comment

Blood Bowl

I've got the new edition, plus Skaven team, sat in my spare room. i'm not 100% sure why though as I'm never going to have the time to paint the models.

Kev, the conceit is that it's a parody of the main Warhammer universe, so Blood Bowl has replaced all the wars etc.

It's a fantastic game even without the fantasy aspect.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Has the previous version of the game been completely obliterated by the forces of Chaos, necessitating the relaunch...?

Comment

Blood Bowl

So a friend has given me a team set of the Skavenblight Scramblers for Christmas. So I guess I will have to buy the new version of the game now. (Not that I'm too upset by that!)

Comment

Blood Bowl

I used to have it / play it. Thus, I think I might account for one or two of the previous mentions on here.

The thing I don't like is how games companies always have to overcomplicate and embellish things. That's what spoilt it for me, first time round. Just keep it simple.

Having said that, I did buy a second set of the game, which I found in a charity shop, with a view to playing a variation of the game where all four 'main' races played each other at once, on an 'X-shaped' pitch, with the winner (theoretically) being the first to score a touchdown against each of the other three. I never got to try it, though, and the attrition/mortality rate would be alarming, too! :-)

Comment

Blood Bowl

Feel like I've come back from the pub having stepped through the door marked '1980s', is this really still going? How about Car Wars?

Comment

Blood Bowl

I'd love to play games like that but I don't know anyone else who wants to. Lots of people - ok, men - into Magic the Gathering, but I find that completely incomprehensible.

Comment

Blood Bowl

This really fell into the things that seemed like a good idea but could never be bothered for me. I had a few friends who got mad into painting all their Warhammer. I always got a feeling walking into Games Workshop that friends probably got in indie or dance record shops - the feeling that they were a fraud and some intimidating staff member was going to find them out.

Comment

Blood Bowl

On Wednesday I handed in my dissertation. I had said to myself that I would buy a copy of the new game as a reward for doing that.

I mentioned this to Mrs Thistle, who then went on and looked up prices online, found a local place that was selling it £10 cheaper than Games Workshop, then suggested we go and buy it on Friday evening from said games place, which turns out to be a cool gaming space and shop I didn't know existed. I married above myself.

Anyway, the new game looks really nice and I'm trying to set up a match next weekend with my gaming buddy so I will report back on how we found it.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Congratulations on the milestone, PT! Do you know roughly when you'll get feedback?

Comment

Blood Bowl

There's a great videogame version of it if you don't fancy painting miniatures, or just want a cheaper version which makes league play much simpler.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Feedback is June at the earliest. Probably July knowing the Uni.

My gaming buddy has the video game but we haven't played because my life has been given over to the dissertation for the past 6 months or so.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Match report: Humans 1 v 0 Orcs (match abandoned at half time)

So I won the first game of the new Blood Bowl. I like the new format, particularly the turnovers rule that can end your go rather quickly if you mess up a dice roll. The special dice for blocks and tackles are rather good and seem to favour the attacking team more than the old dice roll table used to. Despite being weaker on average, the human team's greater movement ability seems like a bit of an advantage. I'm going to play as the Orcs next time for variety's sake. Or possibly bring out my skaven team.

We stopped at "half time" because it took a while to get used to the new rules and it had been a few weeks since I'd last seen my mate so we were chatting about other stuff too.

Comment

Blood Bowl

I like the new format, particularly the turnovers rule that can end your go rather quickly if you mess up a dice roll.
                              Hasn't that always been the case?

Comment

Blood Bowl

Jesus fucking Christ. Making me long for that Star Trek thread, this.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Patrick Thistle wrote: Match report: Humans 1 v 0 Orcs (match abandoned at half time)
                                  [...]
                                  We stopped at "half time" because it took a while to get used to the new rules and it had been a few weeks since I'd last seen my mate so we were chatting about other stuff too.
                                  That's a shame, my initial assumption was that the abandonment had been caused by too many of the players ripping each other's limbs off and suchlike, or Skaven tunnelling up underneath the halfway line at an inopportune moment.

Comment

Blood Bowl

EIM wrote: Jesus fucking Christ. Making me long for that Star Trek thread, this.
                                    Well fuck off and read that one then.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Various Artist wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Patrick Thistle
                                      Match report: Humans 1 v 0 Orcs (match abandoned at half time)
                                      [...]
                                      That's a shame, my initial assumption was that the abandonment had been caused by too many of the players ripping each other's limbs off and suchlike, or Skaven tunnelling up underneath the halfway line at an inopportune moment.
                                      A tunnelling rule would be great. Your opponent wouldn't know which type of player was going to jump out of the tunnel.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Heheh, you should just make up your own rule for it. Make each person roll for this each turn, with x probability of a sinkhole opening up beneath one of their players on a roll of y and/or with z creature(s) jumping out of it.

Comment

Blood Bowl

Patrick Thistle wrote:
                                          Originally posted by EIM
                                          Jesus fucking Christ. Making me long for that Star Trek thread, this.
                                          Well fuck off and read that one then.

Comment

Thanks for moving this thread over.

My BB pal got given the Dwarf team for his birthday so we might play Dwarf v Skaven next time.

I still haven't painted any of my figures.

Comment

I'm a bit annoyed that you really need two packs to have enough players for all the positional slots. I'm sure it was the same in the past though.

The dwarfs look really cool

Comment

Nah the original one I had came with 16 figures apiece. The new goblin team can be bulked out with a four pack of extra goblins but I don't know if they're doing that for any other teams/races. I might get some goblins to bulk out my ork team.

Comment

I've opened some Christmas presents early and I've been given an ogre to boost my human team. Yippee.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X