'Draft' fantasy Premier League 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, a bump for this, and I've moved my original opening post under the line as we now have something to click on.

I've set up an OTF league on Draft Fantasy Football. I assume it will ask new people to create an account, which is done by supplying your name and email address, which you then validate by clicking on a received email.

https://draftfantasyfootball.co.uk/league/joining/GcfgdZqawANDyA32C?r=7hhf5DaNkpg2pokFQ

The OTF league also has a password. So as to ensure that only real actual people can read it, the password is highlighted in the image below, and should include the capital letter and the space.

Apparently we can have up to 16 teams, so please don't be shy and let's see if we can get this thing to work!

__________________________________________________ __________________
    So I've joined the OTFL American Football thing we have going on here and am really enjoying it. The key difference between drafting fantasy leagues and regular ones is this:

* In regular fantasy, you have a budget and can buy whoever you can afford. If everyone wants Aguro, everyone can buy Aguero.
    * In drafting fantasy, you have no budget, but take it in turns to pick (draft) players. Once you have Aguero, no-one else can, and they have to pick a different player.

So all the players are unique in a drafting league. You can release players and pick up available ones during the course of the season (presumably new players will come into the EPL in January too). In OTFL we also have two leagues, one where you draft a whole new squad each year, and other called Dynasty where you have to keep just over half of your squad from one year to the next and also cannot pick up players mid-season.

In both cases we play a head-to-head format, chalking up wins and losses as you go.

Anyway such a thing does exist for the Premier League, and I've found four possible platforms.

draftfantasyfootball
    playtogga
    dugoutfc
    realff

I'm in a Draft Fantasy league. I love the concept, although my team is terrible lately. I've tried this one and The Dugout in recent years. Unfortunately I don't know if either support mid-season starts.

Draft Fantasy:

+ auto subs
    + auto blocking of transfers for new players and on game days (so everyone gets a chance to sign them)
    - small squads (15)
    - fixed squads (must have 2 G, 5 D, 5 M and 3 F)
    - very limited transfers (only like for like, e.g. 1 D for 1 D)
    - no phone app (although mobile website is okay)

Dugout:

+ larger squads (18 - means you can gamble more)
    + flexible squads (any mix of player positions)
    + flexible transfers (many for one, different positions, e.g. offer 2 D for 1 M)
    + phone app
    + captains
    - occasionally buggy data
    - no auto subs (so you have to pick players who will actually play)
    - no auto blocking of transfers

Transfers are the only letdown for me - there's very little incentive to transfer players between clubs, so league setups that don't allow you to get creative are at a disadvantage.

Comment

My current mob on DF:
      [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/147/team.PNG[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for that. The larger squads of Dugout sounds good. Togga allows squads of 16 but not auto-subs (though they say they are looking into it).

In the Yahoo OTFL player trades are possible, but we never seem to do them, so though they would be fun I don't know if they are that important.

Looking at the RealFF one, it's not free, so that's out.

Comment

Dugout also says "No season long commitment necessary. Games can last a week, a month or the entire season," which suggests we could start one part-way through.

Comment

Yeah, we're planning on re-drafting in January so we'll have two half-season winners, then somehow a kind of end of year playoff.

Comment

I'm in. No idea how it really works but sounds good.

Comment

I might be in. Worth noting you tend to get size limits on the leagues - I think Dugout was 10 teams, Draft Fantasy 12.

Comment

Cool. I guess we can run multiple leagues if lots of people fancy it. A provisional three at the moment then!

Comment

League set up - see opening post.

Comment

Bilsdale Blues registered. No idea what to do, or how to pick my winning squad.

Comment

I think we'll all basically be in the same boat to start with Sits, anyway. If I get the choice of when to run the draft, I would probably go with something like 2200 on a Saturday, which should then be Sunday morning in Australia, hopefully not too late for mainland Europeans, and Saturday afternoon for Americans. And, again, if there is choice, starting the matches after the next international break might work ok.

Comment

Got there in the end. Torpedo Rushmoor in, out, back in.

Comment

Mechanical Messiahs are in.

Comment

A note regarding the draft: you can set it to auto-pick if you're unavailable. Briefly:

You can predefine a prioritised list of players you want. If you're not online during the draft, the website will pick the next available player in that list subject to squad restrictions (e.g. if you already have 5 defenders and your next preferred player is a defender, it'll skip to the next non-defender you wanted).

If you don't have a next preferred player (e.g. all of your selected strikers are taken), or if you leave the auto-pick list blank, the website will pick the highest rated player available subject to squad restrictions. Each player is assigned a skill rating on the website - but beware as this doesn't take into account availability, form or injury. You could end up with, say, Cuadrado.

Comment

And we're up to five, which is exciting.

You can play about with your autopicks any time from now. It's helped by the fact that the real season is underway, so there are scores attached to each player. Once you add them from the list on the right to 'your' list on the left, you can drag them up and down to change your order of preference.

So basically when the draft happens, we will take it in turns to pick a player to add to our squad. Once a player is picked, no-one else can have them, so we all end up with unique squads.

Here is a tip, though all I have to base this on is seven weeks of Fantasy NFL, so maybe take it with a pinch of salt:

Think about the total number of players in each position that will be drafted. If we ran the draft now, with five teams, we would pick:

5 x 2 = 10 G
                                5 x 5 = 25 D
                                5 x 5 = 25 M
                                5 x 3 = 15 F

Now, if you drafted Gs on your first two picks you could perhaps get the #1 and #2 scoring Gs in the league. How much better would that be than if you left Gs until last, and took #9 and #10?

What about defenders? How much better are the ones near the top, than the ones about 21 to 25 places down?

And obviously as the number of teams in the league increases, so does the number of players drafted in each position. But this can help you think about the priority players to get in.

Comment

I'm very interested in this. Joined the site, but the image containing the password in the first post in the thread is broken for me. Can someone PM me the password?

Also, some questions about the league/draft. Is it a snake-style draft (Round 1: picks going from teams 1-10; Round 2: picks going from teams 10-1)? Also, are there waivers for unattached players?

Comment

Cool. To find the password, click on Contact at the bottom of this page, and it is the line of the address beginning with S and ending in a number.

The draft is indeed a snakey.

And there are trades, waivers, free agents and blocked players.

Comment

Bilsdale Reds are in.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Bilsdale Reds are in.
                                        Whoa! . Should be interesting. I bet Bilsdale Reds aren't an extinct pig breed though.

Kev - don't sweat about timing the draft for Oz. I'm actually cool with pre-ordering a preferred list and sleeping through the whole thing. Less stressful!

Comment

Haha, nice gauntlet-throwing dglh!

Up to eight teams now.

Comment

Hmph. I'm not entirely happy about someone adopting a "prefix + dale Blues" moniker, pig breed or not.

*flounces off*

Comment

I'm genuinely confused now.

Comment

My X11 team is Wensleydale Blues. I was toying with the idea of joining this competition using the same team name.

Comment

Of course, sorry. Changing it now.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X