No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So has anyone else jumped on the Stafford gambit bandwagon? I’ve had some spectacular quick wins and some embarrassing quick defeats utilising it. Works well in blitz games, less well when the opponent has time to think.

Comment

That looks fun.

I've learned something today, thanks!

Comment

The chess.com site has today launched some kind of sub-site for chess variants. In principle, I would be very interested in that, as I'm intrigued by the possibilities of variant chess. For two reasons, though, I don't think I'll be taking it up on that site.

First, the selection of variant games available on this launch is not at all to my taste. What I'd be really keen to play would be some of the games in the book "Popular Chess Variants" by DB Pritchard which I bought a few decades ago. In particular, Extinction Chess and Alice Chess (though I can see the latter would be more challenging to a web software writer as it involves two boards (or, an alternative way of conceptualising it, one board but two "modes" that pieces can be in). [Edit: one of their options is "sideways move" which seems to be like normal chess except that pawns can move - but not I think capture, not sure - one place sideways. It's dull.]

Second, they aren't offering the games in the same kind of user interface as the regular chess and 960 games. Some weird thing they are calling "beta", and it really sucks.

Comment

So in blitz I won a Stafford gambit in eight moves. Admittedly my opponent was only rated 985, but still. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. Nxe5 Nc6 4. Nxc6 dxc6 5. e5 Bc5 6. exf6 Bxf2+ 7. Kxf2 Qxf6+ 8. Kg1 Qd4#

Comment

I don't get it. After 7... Qxf6+ the computer has you well down. And if your opponent avoids the blunder of Kg1 then the computer still doesn't like your chances. Or is it simply putting so many traps in the oppositions way that they'll fall for one eventually?

Comment

It’s the trappiest of trappy openings, see IM Eric Rosen’s you tube videos for details. It’s great in bullet or blitz because a lot of moves that initially seem logical lose very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH_fiqlLp2U
              Last edited by The_Purple_Cow; 12-10-2020, 18:28.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujpMXQ3rhoI

Comment

Thank you very much Sam for giving me second place by the smallest of margins. And well done ad hoc

Comment

Where is the dislike button when you need it?

Comment

Yes, sorry, whoever it was I let down. I was playing a completely focussed game thinking two or three moves ahead and completely ignored my queen being open to taking.

Comment

Hard luck, Bored (and Wouter).

Anyone fancy another?

Comment

Yes, I do.

By the way, in one of the very few other matches I currently have on the go, I'm about to enter a bare rook versus knight endgame, I think for the first time in my life. Apparently, from a quick internet search, that is in principle a win for the rook side, but one of the most difficult won positions to manoevre to a win. It may be beyond my skill level to manage it, but I'm going to have a go. I don't consider doing a bit of research on how rook versus knight endgames are supposed to be managed to be "cheating". (The basic idea, from the one or two minutes I've done so far, is to somehow push the knight towards the edge of the board and into a position where it's in zugzwang and can't move without being captured.)

Comment

I have created a new tournament, and sent invites to the usual suspects. If you haven't received and invite and want one, please drop me a line (and sorry for the omission).

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                              Yes, sorry, whoever it was I let down. I was playing a completely focussed game thinking two or three moves ahead and completely ignored my queen being open to taking.
                              Don't you worry 'bout a thing. I was only in the position where I could perhaps sneak into second place on a tiebreaker because I stole a point from ad hoc by not respecting his out-of-the-office notice early in the tournament. It would be fundamentally unjust if I were rewarded for that.

Comment

I'm about to enter a bare rook versus knight endgame, I think for the first time in my life.
                                I was rather looking forward to the challenge, but I'll have to wait for some other game. My opponent has cocked up while I still have a rook and pawn (I'm sure he could have taken the pawn for nothing with the right combo, immediately after I took his last pawn), and the upshot is that, unless I have badly miscalculated the implications of our current position, I am heading for a rook v zero ending at worst.

Comment

Yes, EEG, he could have taken the pawn and then it ought to have been a draw, since the king and knight can't be forced to separate in that position. That's not to say, of course, that your opponent wouldn't have contrived to self-immolate.

Comment

Thanks IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                      I have created a new tournament, and sent invites to the usual suspects. If you haven't received and invite and want one, please drop me a line (and sorry for the omission).
                                      We have six participants, and three pending invitations. I plan to give those people a few more days, and then we're off to the races.

Comment

I have pulled the trigger. Games should start shortly. Have fun, everyone!

Comment

Thanks Wouter. Well done for having the patience to wait until we were eight. Hope everyone gets some interesting matches.

Comment

Is anyone else having a problem with the app since yesterday’s upgrade? I resigned my game again Etienne yesterday, and yet this afternoon I’m still playing it. Likewise all the moves I’ve made yesterday evening have simply disappeared.
                                            Last edited by The_Purple_Cow; 08-11-2020, 15:02.

Comment

Can't tell. I don't auto-update apps, so I haven't used the latest version yet.

Comment

Fair enough. While you’re here though, what’s happened to Davy Klaassen? He’s ten times the player now than he was when he last played for us.

Comment

Bordeaux Education you've only got 10 hours left in our game. (why can't I get username tags working?)

Edit: huh, didn't show in the compose box like it used to but did appear in the published item.

Comment

I sense that I have just fallen into another of adhoc’s traps. I can’t see it, but I know it’s there somewhere. It will be an education.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X