Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're off. Have fun!

Comment

My position against Etienne is already close to resignable. Fell into my old habits of playing too quickly without stopping to think, and after too many glasses of red wine.

Comment

Reminder for Bored!

Comment

I apologise as I have already lost two games on time. I have had work up to my eyeballs in the last two weeks, it doesn't quite look like it is going to let up and I am not sure I will be able to give the tournament my best attention. .I also realise that I have handed two slightly-easier-than-normal wins over me to Wouter and TPC which is a bit unfair on others. I will do my moves now on the remaining games but I am genuinely thinking that I will let the games run out on time and step out of this tournament.

Comment

Oh man - I've just completely brainfarted in my game with Etienne. Serves me right, multitasking in a Maseru hotel, eating room service, prepping for training tomorrow, watching the NI-GER game and following Wales on the internet.

Comment

I logged on, saw I had two notifications, and found that both you and TPC had inexplicably gifted me their queens within minutes of each other.

Comment

That's the way we roll....

Comment

Bored, sorry to hear you're over-stretched - hope things get into a better balance for you before long!

In contrast to the multi-tasking/playing drunk etc. explanations from some players for below par moves, I have to say that I get into losing positions quite often just because I'm not very good! I've just realised, for example, that choosing my first three pawn moves against VT as (in whatever order) e6, c5 and a6 was probably pretty stupid and gives me nothing but a choice of weaknesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                    In contrast to the multi-tasking/playing drunk etc. explanations from some players for below par moves,
                    Just getting my excuses in early. But I am in Maseru, by the way....lovely people.

Comment

Glad to hear that VT, hope your training is a triumph. I now know some geography facts I didn't know before you posted about your location. (including that the country in question is the only sovereign state in the world, the whole of whose territory is over 1,000m above sea level - I may use that somehow in the annual office quiz which I am a few colleagues are setting this year, as the price of having won last year's).
                      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 20-11-2019, 14:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                        I logged on, saw I had two notifications, and found that both you and TPC had inexplicably gifted me their queens within minutes of each other.
                        It's an epidemic.

Comment

[oh, I get it. Levin too.]

Comment

I guess it could have led to everyone worrying that it was them who had done it.

Comment

well, I did check my own game against you, I must admit.

Comment

In my defence, my wife was harassing me about not working hard enough on my recuperation at the time. I should have put my phone down and engaged her in polite discourse - rather than randomly and distractedly giving away my Queen.

Comment

Engaging with your wife ahead of playing chess is always the correct course of action!

While that move was the worst option, I don't think you had many good options though.

Comment

Engaging with your wife ahead of playing chess is always the correct course of action!

Hell yes. I'd be a much happier man now if I'd understood that several years earlier than I did. Not just chess of course.

Comment

It's an epidemic.
                                      It's happening so much that I get to benefit too.

Comment

My all-time high ranking on the site for standard Daily, gained shortly after I first joined a few years ago, was 1488, a misleading figure reflecting the very low number of matches I'd played etc.. I've never got very close to that since, but thanks to a few wins in this tourney I am now level with my high for this year of 1474, and if I drag out the matches I'm losing and avoid mistakes (ha ha) in one game where I think I'm slightly up and win that one first, I may just scrape a new record level before dropping down as my inevitable defeats trickle in.

Comment

I've just reached 1700 in live chess for the first time ever (I'd not been in the 1600s much either), rather anti-climatically as I was struggling in a game and then my opponent lost their connection. I think I should probably step away for a while.

Quite surprised to be ironytowersing this tournament. Perhaps finally winning last time has released me psychologically or something.

Comment

Last night I threw away another game, but nobody to blame but me this time. I saw that playing rook d4, lost the rook to a king rook fork, and then about 15 minutes later I thought “ I know, why don’t I just play rook d4?”

Comment

I need some advice. Supposing you are playing a three day game on chess.com and you are in a totally drawn position but your opponent refuses the draw. What do you do? Carry on playing for ever? Or just resign?

Comment

I'd probably want to play on in that position as your opponent, at least for a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
                                                  I need some advice. Supposing you are playing a three day game on chess.com and you are in a totally drawn position but your opponent refuses the draw. What do you do? Carry on playing for ever? Or just resign?
                                                  I spotted that I refused your offer of a draw with me before I actually saw the offer. Hence my re-offer...

Comment

No, for the record i wasn't referring to that. This relates to a ridiculous game I'm playing against a Spanish bloke. I don't know what point he is trying to prove.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X