No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My account trouble seems to have resolved itself, so I set up OTF Chess #18 and invited a few people. Those of you who indicated they would perhaps not want to join this one, may not have received the invite. Please drop me a line if you want to join and are missing the invitation.

Newcomers also welcome, as always.

Comment

Cheers, Wouter.

Comment

Nice one, Wouter. I'm in.

Comment

We have four players registered for the tournament. Any last-minute takers?

Comment

I have pulled the trigger, and the tournament is on its way. Five players, in the end.

Comment

I'm determined not to play too quickly this time. I'm going to take my time, no playing when I'm out walking the dog, and defo not after I've polished off a bottle of Zinfandel. I know I said that last time, but this time I mean it.

Comment

I plan to have a whole glass of fernet between each and every move.

Comment

I am using this as a wider chess thread for this. I see, from an ad on Chess.com, that there's a separate women's chess tournament. Why the fuck is there a separate women's chess tournament?

Comment

Maybe because women get shit from male players? And as a result they'd like to experience a testosterone free tournament?

Unless your question is why are men such fuckwits? In which case, I wish I knew

Comment

Well, that first one is a perfectly good suggestion. Is there a massively chauvinistic culture in chess?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                        Well, that first one is a perfectly good suggestion. Is there a massively chauvinistic culture in chess?
                        Not as far as I know but there's a massively chauvinistic culture in men.

Who knows. It might not be aggressive misogyny, they're experiencing but just constantly being hit on or something.

Comment

Huge congratulations to Bored, who's about to get what I think will be his first win for an actual checkmate (as opposed to on time) since we started these games. I was testing moves out on my phone a couple of weeks ago and unexpectedly got a call from my girlfriend. So unexpected was it that I accidentally hit 'confirm move', and gave the Queen away. In the past I'd have possibly been able to claw back the deficit, but he's had me on the back foot ever since.

And an honourable draw with Levin, too.

Comment

Thanks, sam, but don't spoil it by saying it was just an unforced loss of your Queen! Actually, I was thinking "What the fuck has he just done?". Unfortunately, Levin lost his queen to me as well but did manage to claw it back in the end. I have a feeling I may have won with a checkmate once in the last 18 tournaments. Anyway, very pleased as I have been trying a couple of things out which will hold me in good stead in the future.

Comment

You scored a point on me a while back, but I gave up that game long before it came to an actual checkmate. So you may be thinking of yet another game.

Comment

Yes, I think that must be what Bored was thinking of. When I was assembling all the cumulative stats for OTF 1 to 16 inclusive I think Bored's results amounted to one draw (with Sam, in the very first tournament) and three wins, of which two were wins on time and the third was the match where Wouter blundered a queen away very early and promptly resigned. So if Bored is about to checkmate, or has just done so, that's an OTF Chess first.

Comment

Actually, that sounds right as I was really surprised when I got the notification that I had won - indeed, I assumed it was telling me I had lost. If I was about to checkmate, I wouldn't have been surprised. So yay me!

Comment

Ah yes I forgot about that one; I remembered that you had the two wins on time though, because that was the tournament in which Rogin timed out against all of us twice. Anyway, well done! (And I hope it was obvious towards the end that I was playing on to give you the pleasure of the checkmate, rather than because I thought you might balls it up. I remember the first time I beat Alex over the board and he resigned with me having forced mate in two or three, I thought, for fuck's sake you could have let me play it out!)

Comment

Yes, I did appreciate that. That's an odd one that. Sometimes, I think that I should resign when it is obvious that I haven't a hope (especially when there is a second game to play against the same opponent and everyone else has already finished both games) but am always loath to.

Comment

Just took a peek at the OTF18 standings and I see TPC is the touranment winner - congrats to him.

Comment

Yes, well done, TPC.

Comment

Well done, Sam. I had high hopes for a second win but made a couple of fuck-ups. Still, I am feeling more confident coming out of this tournament than most. Think I have discovered a bit of a groove.

Comment

Thanks, Bored. Even in victory in that second game, it's clear you've come on leaps and bounds.

And well done TPC! Bet you're glad you didn't decide to stop playing now!

Comment

Yes thanks all. I think there were three principle reasons why I won.

1. I didn't play while drinking red wine or walking the damn dog.

2. I got to play the only two openings I know well (hyper-accelerated Dragon, and exchange variation of Roy Lopez) quite a lot.

3. I got lucky with opponents uncharacteristically making a number of one move blunders. I'm thinking this was because my appalling record in previous tournaments caused people to take their eye off the ball when playing against me.

Comment

Just finished a couple of games to try and progress in a tournament against the same opponent. I lost to him which wasn't a surprise as he was over 2000 and the competition was seeded. Nothing against the guy but I find the whole thing boring - not because he was so much better than me but mainly as I couldn't be as bothered as the OTF competitions. Odd, isn't it, as I am still playing against people on the internet - only one of which I have met - but I just don't enjoy other games as much. Anyone else find that?

Comment

Yeah, it's not the same.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X