No announcement yet.

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for taking care of this, Etienne!

Comment

Yes, thanks Etienne. Good luck everyone.

Comment

Yes, thanks Etienne.

Comment

Very satisfying Blitz game this morning against an English bloke called Neale. Satisfying because I got off to a crap start (one mistake and two blunders according to chess.com) but then I thought 'what the heck, just play', and then I turned it around.

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4 Bg4 4. h3 Bh5 5. Nc3 Nc6 6. a3 Nd4 7. Bxf7+ Kxf7 8. g4 Bg6 9. Nxd4 exd4 10. Qf3+ Nf6 11. Nd5 Be7 12. g5 Rf8 13. gxf6 gxf6 14. d3 Kg8 15. Bh6 Rf7 16. Rg1 f5 17. exf5 Rxf5 18. Qxf5 Kh8 19. Rxg6 Qe8 20. Bg7+ Kg8 21. Qe6+ Qf7 22. Nxe7#

When you're as crap as me come-back wins don't come round very often so you have to savour them.

Comment

This is my last OTF tournament I think. I play too many moves late at night when I'm pissed, or early in the morning when I'm walking my dog. So I keep blundering away perfectly good positions. It's too depressing.

I hate chess.

Comment

It's difficult, I make moves when I shouldn't, but can't stop myself. Be a shame not to have you involved TPC, but I understand the frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
                This is my last OTF tournament I think. I play too many moves late at night when I'm pissed, or early in the morning when I'm walking my dog. So I keep blundering away perfectly good positions. It's too depressing.

I hate chess.
                I'd say I'm sorry about what happened in our game, but we would both know that that would be a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post

I hate chess.
                  Hold on, hold on, no, you don't. If I still keep playing, you can't give up. Especially when you always beat me. What does that say about me, eh? Eh?

Comment

I'm running out of steam a bit. I've been playing on chess.com since Wouter introduced us to it over 3 years ago, and I don't think I've improved at all. Others have overtaken me. My H2H against pretty much everyone is less favourable to me in the second half of our H2H record than in the first half. Maybe I'm just an old dog that can't learn new tricks. Anyway, I'm enjoying it less than I used to, and this will probably be my last tournament. I've always been more of a fan of 960 than standard chess (I've played more 960 than standard, in fact excluding the OTF tournies I've played several times as much 960 as standard), but even 960 I'm enjoying less now (and my 960 rating has plummeted).
                    Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 01-03-2019, 22:58.

Comment

Apologies all for the time-outs. Real life got in the way all too much over the last couple of days.

Comment

Ah, I thought it was unlike you to resign, Bored. Hope everything's okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                          Apologies all for the time-outs. Real life got in the way all too much over the last couple of days.
                          No worries. Real life is important.

Comment

Levin just did me up like a kipper. Never seen that mate before.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                              Levin just did me up like a kipper. Never seen that mate before.
                              Yeah, that's pretty good.

Comment

Yes indeed. The position after black's 23rd move, white to move, has the feel of one of those chess.com "Tactics" challenges.

Comment

Cheers guys. I was very pleased with that.

EEG is spot on with noticing the influence of the tactics puzzles. They've really helped me with spotting patterns and certain moves.

Comment

Piss, apologies, TPC, I didn't realise we had another game to play or I would have resigned a couple of games ago so that we could crack on with that.

Comment

No wukkas, mate.

Comment

OK, so it's just my matches v Levin and v Bored to finish. So first, apologies for being away for a couple of days just now, I had no internet access until this morning. And a message to Bored and Levin: I'll be away for 8 days starting on Mon 8th April with no internet access, so if my matches aren't over by then I'll just have to forfeit them. Of course it's entirely your call and no problem if you just want to carry on playing in our usual sporadic way until I forfeit, but if you'd rather make sure that we play our matches out then maybe you could suggest a time, evening or weekend, when we might both log on at the same time and play at a more "live" pace? Sorry about this. I must get a decent mobile phone or laptop, whatever, to give me internet access away from home, but that's not going to happen within the next week.

Comment

Happy to have been able to play my remaining matches to a natural conclusion: draw agreed with Levin after I parked the bus, and, unless I'm horribly mistaken, I have mate in one against Bored, which will end the tournament.

I think I should take a break of several months now from OTF chess tournaments, not just because of my lack of mobile internet access. Thanks for all the matches chaps, there have been some really good ones.

Edit: congrats to Levin on the OTF 17 title btw.
                                          Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 01-04-2019, 23:55.

Comment

Thanks EEG, I think our resolution was the result of play on both sides of the board. I had a week, a week and a half, where I felt really on it and got some lovely mates but after that I didn't get that same inspiration. The tactics puzzles are really helpful when you get into them.

I got My System and The Lifa and Games of Mikhail Tal as presents and while they're maybe a bit beyond me chess wise they are very entertaining reads.

Comment

Congratulations, Levin!

Looks like we have a few folks giving it a rest for the next one, at least. How many of us are left? I'm in.

Comment

Yeah, I'm in.

Comment

I'm in, despite everything I said earlier

Comment

Not this time for me, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X