Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*11 moves in, nervously checks "Rating Adjustment" info to see how many points a defeat to Bored would cost me* (only 16 points, phew)

Comment

*checks match*

I feel like I've been suckered by a clickbait title that promises more than it delivers.

"You won't believe move 11!"

Comment

ha ha, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was an exciting match or that I was in deep trouble. Just that Bored seems to have made yet more progress and I don't think that in any of my previous matches against him my position after 11 moves has been even-looking.*

* by which I mean it looks even-ish to me, though I dare say one or the other of us could have a structural advantage that I'm being too dim to identify.

Comment

8. f7#

Comment

After move 3, Bored appears to use a random move generator.

Comment

Well, it's working against me so far in our first match this tourney.

Yes, Wouter, I saw that. Very nice.

Comment

He's playing perfectly well against me too. But in some games, sometimes he just switches to moves where I find it impossible to discern his thinking. Maybe just not enough time.

Comment

He has improved dramatically since OTF6, and that's even more of a reason that he should sign up to other tournaments too. Although after re-reading the whole thread recently (I'm not sure why, it seemed like a good idea at the time) I was reminded that as a free member, it's entirely possible he can't play in multiple tournaments at once.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Well, it's working against me so far in our first match this tourney.

Yes, Wouter, I saw that. Very nice.
                    Yes - very impressive.

Comment

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am not sure I know what I am doing but it is nice to hear that I am improving.

I did try to join another tournament before Christmas but it had a limitation that you weren't allowed to join if you had a 10% time-out rate. I think that tournament where I ducked out and let all my games time out did for me then. It was the only sub-1000 tournament on offer at the time. I don't mind just doing these though.

Comment

Just to apologise in advance, I'm away this week and next and so will at best be probably making one or two moves per day.

Comment

Matt J is about to nail me with a textbook queen sacrifice followed by a suffocating knight mate.

Comment

That's a familiar theme from the chess.com Tactics challenges. Interesting to see it being done in an actual game, thanks Wouter.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: That's a familiar theme from the chess.com Tactics challenges. Interesting to see it being done in an actual game, thanks Wouter.
                              I wish I could say "you're welcome", but actually I'm quite mad at myself for allowing this to happen. I only saw it coming one move too late.

Comment

Wouter - you up for a one-off 960 match (usual 3 day move limit)? Or indeed anyone else, but q mainly for Wouter as we seem to be the only two who are thoroughly enthused by the 960 game.

I'm currenly awaiting the next rounds of two 960 tournaments with a 6->3 format, but it looks as if it'll be a few days or more yet before they start.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: Wouter - you up for a one-off 960 match (usual 3 day move limit)? Or indeed anyone else, but q mainly for Wouter as we seem to be the only two who are thoroughly enthused by the 960 game.

I'm currenly awaiting the next rounds of two 960 tournaments with a 6->3 format, but it looks as if it'll be a few days or more yet before they start.
                                  Sure thing! Challenge sent.

Comment

I need at least a draw in my second game against Wouter to ensure that I score against every competitor in this tournament (this is assuming I pick up least half a point in my two games with Bored). That would me very happy indeed, but I'm on the rack and scrabbling around to stay in the game.

Comment

Oh thank god. I thought I wasn't going to win anything.

Comment

I see VT has now in fact scored against everyone except Bored in this tournament, congratulations!

Am I the only one who thinks of years in history when looking at the ratings? For several months now I've been in a vain struggle to get beyond the end of the Hundred Years War in my Daily rating (though my Chess 960 rating is in Henry VIII territory, woo!). VT has raced through most of the medieval period already and is now post-Black Death. Ad hoc is in the middle of Oliver Cromwell's puritanical grimness whilst IT, working his way through modern times, has now reached the age of the moon landings.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: IT, working his way through modern times, has now reached the age of the moon landings.
                                          I've heard of 'shooting your age' in golf, and possibly there's something about 'averaging your age' as a batsman or bowler at amateur level. My current rating is the year of my birth.

Comment

I almost feel I ought to apologise to Levin for the manner of the win I claimed over him this morning. Almost...

Comment

My new rating is a year in which Saladin began a siege somewhere in Syria and Newgate Prison was built, incidentally.

Comment

Mine is the year when Sweden abolished slavery.

I'm just happy that it hadn't dropped to my age yet, given the way I've been playing lately.

Comment

Wouter has just beaten me to put an end to a run of 16 consecutive Chess 960 wins I'd accumulated.

Comment

No doubt his reasons are very valid but, if Kev has had to relinquish chess.com, that's a great pity for the rest of us. His improvement is proof of the benefits of adopting a solid opening strategy, and he became one of my most redoubtable opponents.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X