Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the results are starting to come in already, with an ignominious rapid loss on my part to Kev, to whom congrats. At least he had to use a slightly more subtle trick to make his devastating strike than Etienne needed before I simply blundered a piece away against him today. I suspect I'm distinctly losing position-wise in most of my other matches too. Must, must, must, learn some opening theory (and avoid making similarly moronic blunders to the one I made v Etienne).

Comment

Thanks EEG. I have to say I'm pleased with that start.

Comment

Suspect smallcaps may have been distracted by the CL but I'm happy with that.

Comment

I'm also relieved that I haven't fallen for a cunning EEG sacrifice.

Comment

That is a lovely mate Etienne

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty good, Etienne.

Comment

Oof. Rust showing pretty bad on me at the moment. Not just in my gameplay, but in the actual touching of the buttons I mean to in the app.

Comment

Just blundered my Queen away in the opening against matt j in the stupidest manner imaginable.

Comment

That game in full, well, half-full

I am black.

Comment

Oof. Rust showing pretty bad on me at the moment. Not just in my gameplay, but in the actual touching of the buttons I mean to in the app.
                      So did you make any moves in our match accidentally by your finger slipping?

Comment

Just blundered my Queen away in the opening against matt j in the stupidest manner imaginable.
                        Oops. Frustrating when you realise what you've done in that kind of situation. I had the same feeling, possibly to a lesser extent, on giving my bishop away against Etienne by failing to notice that it was undefended.

Comment

No, you just kicked my ass. No excuses on that. (And to be fair, I wasn't in a strong position in the one with the actual finger slip. I was heading for a likely loss.)

Comment

Thanks Matt, that makes me feel better! You were unlucky to be in the minority of opponents I've avoided being a muppet against in this tournament so far.

Comment

Chessboard page!

Comment

Kev, what are you on about?

Comment

It's page 64 of the thread

Comment

ha ha, thanks ad hoc.

Comment

IT just "knighted" a pawn on me. You don't see that often.

Comment

Applying the very sound principle: always check, it might be mate.

Comment

I think matt j found his mojo.

Comment

Not so much. I managed to walk myself into back-to-back knight forks on my king & queen today in different games.

Comment

I don't want to be 'that guy' again, but... Bored, you do realise the tournament's started, right? (Genuine question rather than a sarky one, as you sped up quite notably in the last one.)

Comment

Well done, matt j. I thought you were going to checkmate with your pawn, so thanks for at least sparing me that humiliation...

Comment

Well, Etienne made as short work of me in both our OTF6 matches as he did in our two non-tournament matches a few weeks earlier. Those 4 straight wins level our overall H2H at 5-5, but the recent trend feels unlikely to reverse unless perhaps I do some serious chess studying.

Comment

Well, I've never done any chess reading (which might be why I struggle in openings and endgames). Our last two, one you made a simple blunder when in a strong position. In the second we were both getting strong attacking positions, I was just able to strike first - as you'd expect with White.

I should have taken advantage of Matej's initial rustiness.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X