• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Facebook chess

Comment

Bored, no, one of my (many) drawbacks as a chess player is that I never retain stuff from other games.

Comment

Has Kevchenko had a lot of draws or am I reading the results wrong?

Comment

You're reading the results wrong. The figures in the results column are wins, losses, draws, in that order.

Comment

I've had one win and many defeats.

Comment

My many defeats will be arriving shortly I suspect.

I remember years ago once, browsing chess books in Foyles, I saw one with a title something like "Exploiting Small Advantages". I don't think I looked at the book's contents, but if it had a chapter on "Not getting carried away by small advantages and complacently plunging into a losing position through careless excess of impatient ambition" then that would have been handy for me.

Comment

I keep trying to set up clever exchanges that will leave me with some positional advantage, only to end up giving away a bishop or two knights for a single pawn which I hadn't noticed was obviously going to be used instead of the piece I had my eye on.

We're going to do more of these in the future, right? Because I'm going to need to keep playing for about five years before I manage to so much as force a stalemate with someone.

Comment

Same here. I am hoping I am like the Italian rugby team and will finally win a match in 10 years' time

Comment

I see four more losses in my immediate future.

Comment

I'm definitely up for some more of this. The win over Bored last night should help me in the battle for, er, about 7h in the end.

Comment

I'm certainly up for more of it too. Enjoying it hugely, partly because I'm playing better than I usually do, but not just because of that.

In my match against ironytowers I'm now in a thoroughly and hopelessly lost position, but playing on rather than resigning, perhaps to the slight irritation of my opponent, in a frivolous exercise to see how high I can push the move count before the final blow falls.

Comment

I am definitely planning to set up more of these. Rogin will be invited to those too. I am having loads of fun in playing this tournament.

Comment

What about anothergoal? Did he get in touch about this.

Comment

EEG's win with Black versus matt j must have been a pulse-racer to play in. Well worth a look.

Comment

Bloody hell, let's not start all that. It's hard enough playing 8 games at once without watching others as well. Is there a highlights package available?

Comment

irony towers wrote: EEG's win with Black versus matt j must have been a pulse-racer to play in. Well worth a look.
                                  Oh dear, don't point out how I totally screwed up an exchange because I didn't account for the bishop. After that it was just failing to exit the game with any grace.

Comment

Yes, really enjoying it too, have had some really tight games.

Is an all play all simultaneous the only tournament structure we can use? Swiss system is obviously the best, but might not be possible given the different lengths of games.

Comment

Swiss system?

Comment

Yeah, it's the most common used format for chess tournaments, particularly when there are lots of participants.

It schedules games between players with similar records, so that the more you win, the tougher your opposition gets, and the more you lose, the easier it gets.

Comment

Oh, I see. Mr "tougher opposition" wants to get all relegation/promotion on our arse.

Comment

Ha. It's not quite like that, as you can win your way back up the ladder in the same tournament.

I think that my results suggest I need easier opposition not tougher.

Round robin works fine with 9 people, but with 12 or more it'd be pretty tricky I think.

Comment

What about a CL style system where we play in two groups of six and the group winners face off for the title - can it do that?

Comment

Having just checked, it seems that all play all is the only way you can run a tournament without paying.

But you could do two separate tournaments with playoffs between 1 & 1, 2 & 2 and so on. The playoffs wouldn't be part of the tournament proper though.

Comment

Smallcaps and I have just agreed on the tournament's first draw. Giving me my first half-point. Woohoo!

Comment

Well done. I think me and Matej may be heading for another one.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X