Roll up, roll up for the OTF chess tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha, well that's because I have actually put some practice and thought into at least understanding what needs to be done in the opening. The problem I've had so far is that once it gets into the middle game my brain seems to take leave of my body. Which is how I end up playing a move which sets up a queen swap, and then in the very next move forget entirely what I was planning to do and playing a really fucking stupid one like that.

I also didn't subsequently realise that your knight was going to prevent me taking your queen once she got down there for check (and therefore didn't realise that said check was actually mate).

It's good fun, though!

Comment

matejisdefinitelkynotcrapatchessandisinfactbloodyr elentless

Comment

Sorry I'm late to the game - been tied up with new job. If I'm too late to join the open tournament, I'll join in next time.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Sorry I'm late to the game - been tied up with new job. If I'm too late to join the open tournament, I'll join in next time.
          No worries. I'll gladly invite you for the next edition. Congratulations on the new job!

Comment

Further defeats in the past 24 hours for me, with Etienne and Smallcaps finishing me off and ivory towers completing the double. I need to capitalise on a good position against Bored now and not mess things up against ad hoc.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: matejisdefinitelkynotcrapatchessandisinfactbloodyr elentless
              Indeed.

Comment

Yes, I'm glad that my worst blunder was in my match against matt j, given that it now turns out that that's one of the matches I never had any realistic chance of winning in the first place.

Comment

Ah bugger, well done EEG. Only realised when it gave me a new game against you.

Comment

thanks Bored!

Comment

While everyone keeps pointing fingers at me, I think it's fairy obvious that irony towers is going to cruise this tourney undefeated.

Good fun though.

Comment

My games with you, Etienne, EEG and Smallcaps have been anything but a cruise so I'd take nothing for granted.

Comment

irony towers wrote: My games with you, Etienne, EEG and Smallcaps have been anything but a cruise so I'd take nothing for granted.
                          oof. Brutal

(Probably fair enough, but brutal nonetheless)

Comment

matt j wrote: While everyone keeps pointing fingers at me, I think it's fairy obvious that irony towers is going to cruise this tourney undefeated.
                            Well, that looks like a possible outcome, but irony towers chose his user name such that he doesn't indirectly call everyone he beats crap at chess, thus inviting less finger pointing.

Good fun though.
                            I am having a very good time with this, yes.

Comment

I guess I should have gone with matejiscrapatusernames.

( or on consideration... I guess I could claim it says 'i scrap at chess')

Comment

matt j wrote: I guess I could claim it says 'i scrap at chess'
                                Ha! Very good.

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
                                  Originally posted by irony towers
                                  My games with you, Etienne, EEG and Smallcaps have been anything but a cruise so I'd take nothing for granted.
                                  oof. Brutal

Ditto.

Comment

Etienne, do not worry as I don't study chess moves from other games - although I probably should - but have your moves in our game come from elsewhere or is it all from you? I only ask as you have sewn it up brilliantly and trapped me in - even before you took my queen - with what, on first inspection, looks like a fairly open board. I expect to get beaten a lot on this tournament but I don't think anyone else has been so completely dominant at this stage in the game.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                      Originally posted by ad hoc
                                      Originally posted by irony towers
                                      oof. Brutal

Ditto.
                                      Really sorry, I didn't mean my comment to be dismissive of anyone, though I can see why it came across that way. The intention was to extend the credit to others beyond matt j for the games I've found to be the most competitive but, for the avoidance of doubt, I DO respect every opponent.

Comment

I'll ditto that. I'm one brain fart from losing against anyone. ( which is why I have no problem playing out most games... The longer they go on the more likely that will happen, so it is usually worth playing on)

Comment

Wasn't suggesting a lack of respect IT, at all. Just that as our game isn't even over yet (though you clearly have the upper hand), was just noting that by implication you felt you were cruising towards victory

(and in my aside, also noting that, well, yes, you probably are)

Comment

Ha ha, don't worry, IT. It's chess not life. Well done, by the way, in ours. After the talk on here, I thought I would take the game to you and suffered hugely.

Comment

Gah, just stupidly gave up my queen to smallcaps.

Have we got a league I can concentrate on?

Comment

...and another queen has gone.

Anyone know what those numbers are in brackets after our names?

Comment

That's your chess ranking. The more games you play the more accurate it will be. I'm guessing I'll be around 900 once I've played a few games. Top players are over 2500.

Comment

Ah, it goes that way does it? That makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X