Subbuteo or one of the rivals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

treibeis wrote: Thinking about it, I didn’t really like Striker, either. The only good thing was that you could make the goalies throw the ball into their own net, à la Gary Sprake – something which wasn’t possible with the successor, Super Striker, and its’ real diving goalkeepers’.
    True, but with Super Striker my diving goalkeeper used to be able to throw the occasional clearance off the rubber tape boundary and into the opposite net.

Comment

We varied between tomy super soccer to actually play, but setting up subbuteo was a lot more fun

Not sure if it's been mentioned but: http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/ is well worth a browse

Comment

Had the Subbuteo 'Floodlights' edition for a few years but hardly ever used it, Subbuteo being one of the most unplayable and unsatisfactory games ever produced.

For real football game thrills you need to get hold of GOAL!, a card game from the early 60's but that was still being published in the 80's, when I got my set. Goals are scored by making 3-player attacking formations from the cards in your hand, but can be prevented by having defensive formations already out on the table, thus adding an element of offensive/defensive strategy. Do you play it cagily, or go all-out for GOAL!s?

The full-colour illustrations on the cards are beautiful and worth getting the game for in themselves:

Comment

Tomy Super Cup Football could have been so good had it not been using 90% of the battery power to generate noise and used some of that on the game.

Comment

Mumpo, those cards are gorgeous. Tend to agree also that Subbuteo was over-rated as far as table football games went -- I enjoyed the much more exciting 4-2-4, known variously as Grandslam, Premier League and most recently Premier Table Soccer 2000.

Comment

I'm with Twisted Sister - Emlyn Hughes' Team Tactix is probably my favourite board game of all time, come to think about it. (In terms of times played, fun had, etc. Reminds me of Sundays as a student, playing it after watching The Big Match Live).

Always enjoyed the rush at the end as the 90 minutes closed in, with one smug bugger slowing the game down by taking his time because he already had a decent full XI.

The advent of squad numbers had probably ruined the chance of that game ever been brought up to date for the modern audience, which was a pity.

Comment

Ooh, that Goal! Game above has reminded me of Penalty! My dad bought it for me one Xmas and was disappointed that the ball wasn't even spherical - not sure quite what he was expecting but I loved it. Used to have endless tournaments with myself, introducing my own rules such as one card fewer for the "away" team so that I could have an away goals rule.

It claimed to be tactical, having been worked on by experts over thousands of trial games, but I generally found route one blasting it as far as possible up the pitch worked quite well.

Happy days...

I might even still have it up in my loft. Hmm...

Comment

Twisted Sister wrote: I enjoyed Emlyn Hughes' Team Tactix board game, I used to play it a lot on Sunday evenings. My Sunday evenings became free because I was kicked out of the local church youth club. I was wrongly accused of throwing someone out of a window.

Reuben Agboola was a steal at £100k in that game.

Comment

Tramp The Dirt Down wrote: I've mentioned it on a similar thread but does anyone remember playing Bobby Charlton Casdon Soccer?
                    Yes mate - must have been around 1969/70 when i had this. Adored subbuteo of course, floodlights, dugouts, fence, ballboys the lot. We had ours pinned on a large piece of plywood, which had our stock car track painted on the other side. Used to enjoy painting the players (so no fights of who was going to be Leicester/England broke out we had international teams only with no home nations allowed).

Comment

Working...
                    X