Games you love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Games you love

sw2boro sw2boropetrovsk wrote: I've become rather a fan of being the iron in recent years.

Axis & Allies - Global 1940 is a game me and some weirdoes I know can't get enough of. Some oddbods have even been known to root through their old toy soldiers and paint them in the appropriate colours. Currently being the Soviet Union and pushing about some Naval Infantry - they seem to give me more 1s.
    Axis & Allies is wonderful, I spent many lonely afternoons in school holidays playing as all 5 countries. Though I should admit to squandering all of Germany's budget on weapons development when they were getting a bit too powerful.

Someone mentioned Buccanneer? We had that, and Battle of the Little Big Horn, quite why a board game based on Custer being hacked into little pieces didn't become a classic I don't know.

Comment

Games you love

gavc23 wrote:
      Originally posted by sw2boro sw2boropetrovsk
      I've become rather a fan of being the iron in recent years.

Axis & Allies - Global 1940 is a game me and some weirdoes I know can't get enough of. Some oddbods have even been known to root through their old toy soldiers and paint them in the appropriate colours. Currently being the Soviet Union and pushing about some Naval Infantry - they seem to give me more 1s.
      Axis & Allies is wonderful, I spent many lonely afternoons in school holidays playing as all 5 countries. Though I should admit to squandering all of Germany's budget on weapons development when they were getting a bit too powerful.

Someone mentioned Buccanneer? We had that, and Battle of the Little Big Horn, quite why a board game based on Custer being hacked into little pieces didn't become a classic I don't know.
      The victory conditions were too highly skewed in favour of the 7th Cavalry?

1. Custer gets off battlefield
      2. Standard gets off battlefield
      3. All indians killed (?)

And given the pieces in the box didn't really reflect the overwhelming superiority of numbers the Cheyenne & Sioux had, the victory conditions made it very difficult to prevent a US Army win.

(And another thing. Indians on horseback with bows and arrows - range = 1.

Rifles - range = 3

Custer, who had two six guns, was allowed to "fire twice". But what was the range of his weapons?

IIRC the rules pamphlet didn't tell you this?)

Comment

Games you love

Oh.

And another one for the list.

Nuclear War.

Comment

Games you love

We have pretty much a constant five-player game going on, with a session most weeks.

Buccaneer a mate had as a kid, used to really like it. Somebody gave me a Pirates of the Caribbean edition when they moved to that Scotland a few years ago, I really should try and get a game going.

Some chumps on the other thread have suggested Monopoly teaches vile capitalist practices - surely it actually shows (imperfectly) how money goes to money and that this is usually based on luck and isn't particularly fair. And in anything other than two-player games, there's more losers than winners.

Never had much of a problem with the rules some people seem to, not since I was about ten or so. The 10% rule when you take on or redeem mortgaged property makes sense when you actually read it, so does automatically auctioning stuff if nobody buys it, gets the game moving quicker.

But it's true that there's many better boardgames available, and it's pretty two-dimensional.

Comment

Games you love

sw2boro sw2boropetrovsk wrote: It is also usually the case that you only won second prize because I must have won first prize.
            Oh, you have the braille edition, how fabulous.

Comment

Games you love

Hey, there's no shame in coming second to a champ, you did very well, people shouldn't hate me just because I'm beautiful.

And don't get me started on being drunk in charge.

Comment

Games you love

Huh. I bet you love going to jail so you can get some lovin'.

Comment

Games you love

WOM wrote: Alderman Barnes' post reads like the band listing for one of those outdoor indie festivals with too much mud and too few toilets.
                  I thought he'd cribbed it from one of Mark E. Smith's lyric sheets.

Comment

Games you love

Actually, I'm surprised no-one's got it yet. Standards around here are slipping.

Anyway - Logacta Chart Soccer. We've discussed it over on Football, but I must have spent months playing that.

Comment

Games you love

Actually, I'm surprised no-one's got it yet. Standards around here are slipping.
                      Good grief, I've googled it and still I could stand on a stool and it would go over my head.

Comment

Games you love

Guy Potger wrote: Oh.

Nuclear War.
                        Sun Ra earworm.

Comment

Games you love

Guy Potger wrote: Oh.

Nuclear War.
                          Wasn't that the game that Simon le Bon was railing against the difficulty of in "Is there something I should know?"

Comment

Games you love

Alderman Barnes wrote:
                            It just looked like some kind of gargantuan list, to me.

Comment

Games you love

Well done that man.

Comment

Games you love

That and the bum-wiping chapter tend to stick with you, I think.

Comment

Games you love

Wipe better, then.

Comment

Games you love

hobbes wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Guy Potger
                                    Oh.

Nuclear War.
                                    Wasn't that the game that Simon le Bon was railing against the difficulty of in "Is there something I should know?"
                                    Who?

Comment

Games you love

Smallcaps wrote: Wipe better, then.
                                      I would, but you just can't get the geese these days.

Comment

Working...
                                      X