Wordiply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wordiply

Even if it is by the Grauniad, it is a rather enjoyable game, reminiscent of "It Pays To Increase Your Word Power" in Reader's Digest. Rather than defining a word, however, players are given a daily cluster of letters (one day this week, for instance, it was "FEN"), and the goal is to divine the longest possible word which includes that compound. Occasionally, it's also possible to come with solutions longer than those proposed by the puzzlers (that day, I chanced "COUNTEROFFENSIVELY", which proved correct, and just edged out "COUNTEROFFENSIVES" ). You can try it here.

Have they added enough words to their dictionary that it isn't absolutely fucking infuriating to play yet? I started playing the day they launched it and jacked it in after about a week because it kept saying that perfectly good words weren't in the word list. And I can't remember any specifics now but at least two of them were really obvious words. So rather than being an attempt to find the actual longest word you were just trying to guess what the far-too-short word list contained.

Comment

Wordiply is anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation.

Comment

I quite like wordiply but it seems like no-one else on here is playing it.

Comment

I do.

Comment

Just had a go and matched (what they consider to be) the longest-possible word. (I won't say with what, obviously.)

Maybe I'll try this on a more regular basis.

Comment

The word bank they use is definitely quite strange and I don't understand why it's possible to get longer words than the official longest word. I got two words today that were both three letters longer than the "longest word" and they were both accepted.

Comment

Last week, my word Scandinavian was rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                  Last week, my word Scandinavian was rejected.
                  Ha, I tried Scandinavians with the same result!

Comment

Presumably proper nouns are disallowed?

Comment

Now that it won't be a spoiler I can say that my longest words yesterday were cryptocurrencies and kleptomaniacally.

Comment

I went for 'velociraptors' for thirteen, but you've beaten that hands down.

Only a twelve today (which once again they claim equals the longest).

Comment

Yesterday was a bit boring. I got a thirteen "maximisations" which I'm not even sure should be a word. I found today's more interesting but couldn't exceed 13, when the longest was supposedly 15.

Comment

I got a 15 today.

But I don't really understand what it means by "keep trying to improve your letter score"

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              I got a 15 today.

But I don't really understand what it means by "keep trying to improve your letter score"
                              I think it means the total number of letters you've used over the five words you're allowed to input. I think my highest so far is 70.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                Have they added enough words to their dictionary that it isn't absolutely fucking infuriating to play yet? I started playing the day they launched it and jacked it in after about a week because it kept saying that perfectly good words weren't in the word list. And I can't remember any specifics now but at least two of them were really obvious words. So rather than being an attempt to find the actual longest word you were just trying to guess what the far-too-short word list contained.
                                Yes that was what happened for me as well, the arbitrariness of the word bank made this frustrating to play. The other thing that didn't really work for me in terms of gameplay is that unlike Wordle and its various clones, your guesses don't give you any extra information to get closer to the target (which isn't really a target anyway as you can beat it.) So you just try and find the best possible word at guess 1, and then... do the same thing again? And again? Not sure why you get five goes and not just one, or three, or twenty. Unsatisfying.

Comment

I equalled the longest word with redundancies yesterday. Other than that I could only manage dunderheads and slamdunking.

Comment

Tough one today, but I (supposedly) matched the longest.

Comment

The only word I could actually think of proved to be the longest - can't imagine that defunct Scottish counties will be accepted!

Comment

Working...
                                      X