Nintendo Switch game advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nintendo Switch game advice

We bought a Nintendo Switch for our Mario obsessed daughter for Christmas, which she loves. It has also been a great focus for family-time, as my daughter tends to only want to play it if she's playing with us. She's not really into playing online or by herself.

So, we've got Mario Party and Mario 3D world and they are the dominant family multiplayer games in our house at the moment. Her birthday is coming up and I'm going to buy her a couple more games, hopefully in the same spirit. One has to be Mario Odyssey, which she really wants, the other I'm less sure about.

We've got Overcooked 2, which is a bit too tricky/frustrating for her, but she loves using the fire extinguisher when pans go on fire. We've also got Mario Kart, which she isn't very good at and I spent the whole of my university years playing, so she doesn't like the gap in ability.

Any other suggestions? I thought about Splatoon, but it says you need to be 12+ to play it.

Splatoon is great, it doesn't require that much strategy in order to have a good time. Mario Tennis is fun.

Comment

Absolutely love our Switch. We have spent so many happy hours playing Super Mario Party (and Mario Party Superstars)

Luigi's Mansion 3 is a really absorbing puzzle and exploration game in the Mario game universe. It's sort of like a kids-friendly version of Ghostbusters (and can be a collaborative game). I would highly recommend this game if she's over, say, seven, maybe a teensy bit scary before that?

I love Snipperclips as a fun, silly, collaborative game a bunch of people can play, very good for reaching a consensus when everyone wants to play something different, but everyone's happy to spend 15 minutes messing about on this

We were really keen to find other collaborative games, and found another quite good looking one called Unravel Two, which is a really clever game, but somehow we never quite got into it

Last edited by diggedy derek; 10-02-2023, 16:39.

Comment

Thanks.

We watched the trailer for Splatoon a week or so ago and were sold, but then the rating advice came on. I can't see why you need to be 12? Paint gun war between squids?
        Is there a lot of difference between Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars? I'm thinking of holding off as long as possible because we've still got a lot to explore in Mario Party.

Mario Party is great, it's really helped our daughter develop and not care so much about losing. Previously to this, playing snakes and ladders or Uno was a major hassle because as soon as she felt she was losing, all hell broke loose. But in Mario Party board game mode, you never really know who is going to win until the award ceremony, and she has been totally chill when losing, or over the moon when winning.

Shall check out Mario Tennis and Snipperclips.

Comment

I would imagine the age thing would either be because it is mainly online (there is no split screen, but there is single player) or because it has combat, kind of. But PEGI is showing it as 7, not 12. I really wouldn't worry about it, it's absolutely fine for kids.

Some co-op games might help with the losing thing, though in practice they may end up like Overcooked. A lot of the best ones aren't age appropriate, but you might want to look at Lovers In A Dangerous Space Time.

Is there a lot of difference between Super Mario Party and Mario Party Superstars? I'm thinking of holding off as long as possible because we've still got a lot to explore in Mario Party.
          There's not a lot of difference between any of the Mario Parties. It's all minigames with a paper thin layer on top. Superstars is minigames taken from previous entries I believe.

I think my big recommendation would be the new Kirby game. It's Mario-esque and very kid friendly. I would also recommend Tinykin, which is a Pikmin clone that shaves off some of the latter's rough edges but also adds platforming, and is just wonderful.
          Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 10-02-2023, 18:55.

Comment

For family time I can really recommend 1-2 Switch, which is basically party games in a 1 on 1 basis. Suitable for all ages from my twins at 5, to me at 38.

Splatoon is fantastic as well, but my twins don't quite get it.

Comment

My son (7) is very compulsively addicted to things (see watching the entire Simpsons chronologically since the start of the year). It is a lot.

For the switch - he is completely into Splatoon - Mrs dglh was a little concerned that it is sort-of guns and we live in the land of crazy guns. I see this as good training for his potential e-sports career* - he is already legit good at it and now spends a lot of time picking people off in battles rather than claiming land. Otherwise he will play Minecraft endlessly. Oh, and Among Us is a great cheap download so long as you get the permissions limited to the restricted chat - really fun quasi-retro game.

My daughter (10) likes Animal Crossing so long as I had the permissions set to let her change the clock and time travel and Big Brain Academy. Oh - and Fall Guys which is another fun free indie-style download with nothing at all to worry about. Oh, she also really loves Kirby and gets real angry when dumb kids think he is a Pokemon. oh - and Just Dance. That is popular with a group.

Nintendo has emulators hidden away in the store which are awesome.

Comment

Thanks caja, will investigate Fall Guys and Among Us. I bought Big Brain Academy during the January sale, but have been a little disappointed with the quantity of challenges. I remember the game being a bit wider in breadth when I played it on Nintendo DS.

Comment

Working...
                X