No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle matchplay tournament 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have teed off in the playoff and scored a 3. I'm hopeful that this will get me into the next round

Comment

A par 4 for me.

Comment

Great work IT and congratulations our playoff participants. You’re all winners, it doesn’t matter what happens now.

Who am I Kidding?

Comment

irony towers that was indeed a fine game with as many ups, downs and stomach-clenching moments as any roller coaster ride. Truly enjoyed it.

After a sober evening, stride down to the tee. Max handed me our regular starting club, biffed down the middle. Second shot barely contemplated before it too set off into the cool Yorkshire morning. Max had barely passed me the putter before the ball rattled in for a birdie 3 in (for me) probably record breaking time.

Comment

Oh Foxy, what wouldn't I give for such breezy nonchalance in the pit of the crucible? For me, second-guessing means trying to piece together how others got there; for you it means taking a second to guess.

Today I seem to have thought my way into your head more successfully than you, as I landed an eagle 2. And that is that.

The other placings according to tiebreak are:

2) Simon G
            3) nmrfox
            4) ad hoc

Comment

Congrats and thanks for all your work.

Comment

Congratulations! After all your work this is a richly deserved success

(as an aside, how do I end up 4th? The scores on the tiebreak itself don't count? )

Comment

Since you were simultaneously eliminated, the tie-break relates to the four head-to-head rounds. In matchplay there's no distinction between the number of strokes if a hole is lost.

Comment

irony towers this morning:

https://youtu.be/Q2w3l0WZtHw

Comment

Congratulations on your victory irony towers

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Gamez, Mize, Zoeller... do you suppose a change of handle to az zoc would herald an uptick in someone's playoff fortunes?
                        Last edited by irony towers; 27-03-2023, 22:31.

Comment

Congratulations, irony towers. To think this sort of talent wasn't selected for the last Ryder Cup.

Comment

Stand by for the next Ryder Cup in May/June. Since I didn't participate fully in either of the previous editions I'll definitely book myself a spot this time, and I'll declare for ROW by dint of an Irish great-grandparent.

This time round it may be more of a job to get us quorate on either side, so I'm keen to recruit some new faces into the matchplay fold. How about it, 1974ddr Cal Alamein jwdd27, and can we get matt j Uncle Ethan back on board? I'm mentioning it now in case they'd like to get their eye in on the grading ladder.
                            Last edited by irony towers; 26-03-2023, 13:14.

Comment

Nice one irony towers! Richly deserved for all of your efforts in running this tournament and you certainly should've won our match as i got streaky on the last two holes. Enjoy your celebrations this evening!

Comment

Well done, irony towers. A worthy and popular champion, and you certainly did it the hard way.

As we say in The Netherlands - dik verdiend!

Comment

Well pleased for you irony towers.

Comment

Well done irony towers and thank you for running this again.

Still not sure how I came second, but I'll definitely take it.

Comment

Couldn’t be a more worthy winner irony towers, congratulations and thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                        The best part of that is Greg Norman.

Comment

Pos WMT2 Pts S-B R1 R2 R3 R4 % won % <4
                                          1 10 irony towers 3.5 - W14 W19 W15 H3 41.2 61.8
                                          2 13 Simon G 3.5 7.25 W18 H9 W10 W6 41.2 52.9
                                          3 3 nmrfox 3.5 7.25 W21 W17 W5 H1 36.1 50.0
                                          4 2 ad hoc 3.5 6.75 W23 H6 W8 W13 45.2 58.1
                                          5 7 Logan Mountstuart 3 - W16 W11 L3 W12 35.3 67.6
                                          6 6 Rogin the Armchair fan 2.5 6.25 W13 H4 W9 L2 37.1 42.9
                                          7 1 Sean of the Shed 2.5 3.75 H8 L10 W22 W11 34.3 57.1
                                          8 18 Sporting 2.5 3.25 H7 W22 L4 W17 34.4 34.4
                                          9 11 ale 2.5 2.75 W24 H2 L6 W19 34.3 25.7
                                          10 15 WOM 2 4.25 H17 W7 L2 H15 28.6 28.6
                                          11 9 Sits 2 3 W12 L5 W19 L7 31.4 45.7
                                          12 - lambers 2 3 L11 W16 W20 L5 33.3 33.3
                                          13 17 San Bernardhinault 2 2.5 L6 W23 W14 L4 48.4 41.9
                                          14 8 pebblethefish 2 2 L1 W18 L13 W23 26.5 32.3
                                          15 4 Hot Orange 2 1.25 H22 W24 L1 H10 29.4 50.0
                                          16 20 Balderdasha 2 1 L5 L12 W24 W20 35.3 38.2
                                          17 12 Artificial Hipster 1.5 2 H10 L3 W21 L8 21.2 27.3
                                          18 16 Auntie Beryl 1.5 0.75 L2 L14 H23 W22 22.9 40.0
                                          19 - Foot of Astaire's 1 1 W20 L1 L11 L9 34.4 28.1
                                          20 26 Levin 1 1 L19 W21 L12 L16 28.1 15.6
                                          21 22 caja-dglh 1 0 L3 L20 L17 W24 26.5 32.3
                                          22 14 Harbinger of Hope 0.5 1 H15 L8 L7 L18 22.9 37.1
                                          23 19 Sam 0.5 0.75 L4 L13 H18 L14 19.4 29.0
                                          24 21 Discordant Resonance 0 - L9 L15 L16 L21 24.2 21.2
                                          Pos: finishing position in this tournament
                                          WMT2: finishing position in previous matchplay tournament
                                          Pts: match points
                                          S-B: Sonneborn-Berger points (first tie-break if equal on match points) = final match points of players you beat + half of match points of players with whom you halved
                                          R1-4: your result and the finishing position of your opponent, eg in Round 1 irony towers beat pebblethefish, hence W14 as pebblethefish finished 14th
                                          % won: percentage of holes played that you won
                                          % <4: percentage of holes you played under par (in fewer than 4 goes)

Notes:
                                          irony towers won WMT3 on the extra playoff hole, which is not included in the % won and % <4 calculations.
                                          Simon G was placed ahead of nmrfox on account of a greater proportion of holes won.
                                          Sits was placed ahead of lambers, and Foot of Astaire's ahead of Levin, on account of winning their respective head-to-head matches.
                                          The hole defaulted by ad hoc was counted as a win for San Bernardhinault but not as a loss for ad hoc.

Comment

Top stroke averages for the tournament (excluding the playoff):
                                            irony towers 3.44
                                            Logan Mountstuart 3.44
                                            ad hoc 3.45
                                            Sean of the Shed 3.46
                                            nmrfox 3.47
                                            Simon G 3.53
                                            Hot Orange 3.62
                                            San Bernardhinault 3.68
                                            Sits 3.69
                                            Harbinger of Hope 3.74
                                            Rogin the Armchair fan 3.77
                                            Sporting 3.78
                                            17 players had a stroke average below 4.00, compared with nine in WMT2.

Comment

It's clear that the standard keeps improving the longer these tournaments go on.

How long before we see the Wordle equivalent of the darts split and nmrfox* takes the top 10 to form his own organisation due to not enough TV events...

*name chosen completely at random

Comment

Working...
                                              X