No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle matchplay tournament 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pebblethefish, a par 4 is all I could manage on the last hole. Over to you.

Comment

It's a birdie 3 on the final hole, Sits

Comment

If there's just 2 options, it's uncanny how I always seem to pick the wrong one at present. Another dull 4 for me. Put me out of my misery ale

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          pebblethefish, a par 4 is all I could manage on the last hole. Over to you.
          Slotted home a 3 to take home the spoils. Thank you for a most enjoyable match.

Comment

A par 4 on the final hole for me Rogin the Armchair fan

Comment

irony towers pressure applied with a birdie 3 on the final hole....

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                A par 4 on the final hole for me Rogin the Armchair fan
                Simon G I spent a long time agonising over my birdie putt ... and lipped out! A par 4 for me means we shake hands on your win, and thanks for an enjoyable game. Good luck in the playoff if you get in!

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                  If there's just 2 options, it's uncanny how I always seem to pick the wrong one at present. Another dull 4 for me. Put me out of my misery ale
                  Bullet duly dispatched with a birdie 3 Foot of Astaire's. Your current run unfortunately coincided with an unforseen reversal of mine. Thanks for a good even game taken to the wire and if played again the result could well be different.

Comment

Knees knocking, I bent over backwards to a birdie Harbinger of Hope

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                      Well, we were warned... I only managed a 4, lambers​​​​​​.

Good luck, and thanks for a great match. You'll find me pissed, surrounded by adoring fans in the clubhouse.
                      Warned, or deliberately jinxed? *suspicious look at IT witchcraft*

I got a five, so your adoring fans have something to celebrate. Well played.

Comment

WOM I fooled myself into a 5 this morning, giving you a chance to halve the match.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          I've ended my round with a 3
                          And I finished with a 4 and a victory for you. Which feels like a fair result after your very generous offer on the 7th. I do maintain my two current records - despite them being mentioned by irony towers in the round-up (and, in fact, I had no idea about them until that round-up) - of not having had a bogey (or worse) since round one and never having lost a Worldle Matchplay match by more than one.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
                            irony towers pressure applied with a birdie 3 on the final hole....
                            The pressure paid off as I talked myself out of the right choice for birdie and ended with a 4.

We go into a four- way playoff from tomorrow, along with Simon G and ad hoc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                              WOM I fooled myself into a 5 this morning, giving you a chance to halve the match.
                              And I've surprised the gallery and myself with an uncharacteristic 3.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post

Warned, or deliberately jinxed? *suspicious look at IT witchcraft*

I got a five, so your adoring fans have something to celebrate. Well played.
                                Blimey, lambers, I spent the whole morning convinced I was a goner. Really nice match. I never actually led until the last hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Simon G I spent a long time agonising over my birdie putt ... and lipped out! A par 4 for me means we shake hands on your win, and thanks for an enjoyable game. Good luck in the playoff if you get in!
                                  A cracking game it was - think my Eagle got me over the line.

Now a playoff......Christ on a bike!!

Comment

Golf history shows that often in sudden death, the least-fancied player wins. Remember Larry Mize against Greg Norman and Seve Ballesteros, Fuzzy Zeoller against Tom Watson, or Todd Hamilton against Ernie Els? So it's all up for grabs ...
                                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 25-03-2023, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                      It's a birdie 3 on the final hole, Sits
                                      Well played, and my 4 means that the result is the only fair one. Thanks for an excellent match and I’m pleased to have taken it to the ninth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Well played, and my 4 means that the result is the only fair one. Thanks for an excellent match and I’m pleased to have taken it to the ninth.
                                        Thanks also. It was a close fought contest all the way.

Comment

Levin I've finished with a par 4 and await the outcome of the match. Thanks for playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                            Knees knocking, I bent over backwards to a birdie Harbinger of Hope
                                            Balls. Got a 4.

Comment

Good luck to the 4 of you in the playoff tomorrow. I'll be cheering from the club house with a bottle of champagne in hand after my 24h bender. ( I've actually been trudging around Limburg for 12 hours, but in my head...).

Comment

Balderdasha all I could do was match your 4 which means you win the match. Congratulations on the victory and thank you for a good game with some swings in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger of Hope View Post

Balls. Got a 4.
                                                  A close match, which swung back and forth. Thanks for the game.

Comment

Day 36 report:

Uneasy lies the head that may never get to wear a crown. What agonies I endured this morning, the tactical machinations spinning like Enigma dials: do I go early and set a target, or wait until I know what's needed? I'll do the first line and see... three greens - but oh no, it's one of those. Do I sacrifice a turn to eliminate options? Yes, I've got to narrow this down... hmm, not hugely helpful.

Then I drove the family to Harry Potter Studios, by which time nmrfox had posted a 3. GULP. This is exactly what I'd wanted to avoid: a one-shot stomach-churner for glory. In the queue for the broomstick ride, I thought it had come to me. Rats, no signal. We get the butterbeers in; now's the moment... only to find the imprecations of Birdiamus! had gone unanswered. Still, I can't grumble at halving with the illustrious nmrfox, who was always going to hit a groove at some stage. Many thanks for a fine match, Foxy, and very well done on a gutsy comeback.

A playoff will please the gallery, no doubt, and it does feel fitting for the most open and dynamic tournament we've had. With very few exceptions, everyone has been in with a chance in every match. Once everything is wrapped up I'll do the full statistical round-up, including the application of tie-breaks for 6th to 23rd places - unless lambers gets there first. Logan Mountstuart secured the all-important fifth place as yesterday's featured players, predictably, suffered a precipitous decline.

Three matches, and two further individuals, continued to the full extent of the match without carding a bogey; there had been just three such matches (over nine holes) in all previous WMT rounds combined. Eleven players were below par for the round without netting a full point; Sits has the strongest claim to the choreographed sympathy you get from an ITV studio audience, for going round in 6 under yet losing to the reinvigorated Sean of the Shed. The stroke averages of 3.71 across Round 4 and 3.82 for the entire tournament are new record lows in individual matchplay tournaments.

From 24 we are now down to four. Rogin the Armchair fan has read the runes of golfing lore and concludes that the outsider's chances may be elevated in a shootout; are there any takers for that mantle? If the standard tie-breaks were applied, based upon strength of opposition and proportion of holes won, the top performer in WMT3 would be Simon G followed by Foxy, me and ad hoc. Over the longer term, the tale of the tape is:
                                                    Grade WMT1 WMT2 Stroke ave.
                                                    nmrfox 229 1st 3rd 3.38
                                                    ad hoc 223 7th 2nd 3.55
                                                    irony towers 220 3rd 10th 3.73
                                                    Simon G 213 24th 13th 3.98
                                                    Stroke average is for all head-to-head holes in matchplay tournaments and Ryder Cups.

Gladiators: ready?

Completed Round 4 scoreboard:
                                                    Pts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
                                                    irony towers 3.5 5 3 2 3 5 4 3 4 4 Halved
                                                    nmrfox 3.5 4 4 4 4 3 4 4 3 3
                                                    Simon G 3.5 5 4 5 3 3 3 2 3 4 Won 1 UP
                                                    Rogin the Armchair fan 2.5 5 2 4 4 3 5 4 3 4
                                                    ad hoc 3.5 3 3 3 4 3 4 D 4 3 Won 1 UP
                                                    San Bernardhinault 2 4 4 3 3 4 4 3 2 4
                                                    Logan Mountstuart 3 6 3 3 3 4 4 3 2 4 Won 1 UP
                                                    lambers 2 4 3 3 5 3 4 3 3 5
                                                    Sits 2 3 4 3 4 3 4 3 2 4
                                                    Sean of the Shed 2.5 4 3 3 3 3 4 3 3 3 Won 1 UP
                                                    Hot Orange 2 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 4 5 Halved
                                                    WOM 2 4 4 4 4 3 3 F 3 3
                                                    Artificial Hipster 1.5 5 4 4 4 4 5 4
                                                    Sporting 2.5 4 2 5 4 3 4 4 Won 3 & 2
                                                    ale 2.5 3 4 4 4 4 4 3 2 3 Won 2 UP
                                                    Foot of Astaire's 1 4 3 4 4 3 4 4 4 4
                                                    Balderdasha 2 5 5 3 4 5 5 3 2 4 Won 1 UP
                                                    Levin 1 6 4 4 4 3 4 F 4 4
                                                    pebblethefish 2 3 4 2 3 5 4 3 3 3 Won 2 UP
                                                    Sam 0.5 2 5 3 3 4 5 3 3 4
                                                    Harbinger of Hope 0.5 4 4 4 5 4 5 2 3 4
                                                    Auntie Beryl 1.5 5 3 4 4 4 5 4 3 3 Won 1 UP
                                                    caja-dglh 1 3 4 5 3 4 4 1 5 Won 2 & 1
                                                    Discordant Resonance 0 4 4 4 5 3 6 5 5
                                                    Day 36 stroke average: 3.75
                                                    Last edited by irony towers; 25-03-2023, 23:38.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X