Twenty Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty Questions

I intend to make this a weekly feature, with 20 questions from the previous Wednesday's (and further back) sets of the UK Online Quiz League - the league itself puts the files up on its website to be freely shared once matches have been completed, and hopefully I haven't accidentally included any Level 5 sticklers here!

1. The name of which Italian Renaissance painter, best known for La Primavera and The Birth of Venus, translates as "little barrel"? Botticelli
    2. Sanzio is the surname of which Italian artist, more commonly known by his first name? This painter of The School of Athens is regarded as one of the Renaissance masters, alongside Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo. Raphael
    3. Paint Your Wagon, My Fair Lady and Camelot are musicals created by which songwriting partnership? Lerner and Loewe
    4. Cabaret and Chicago are musicals created by which songwriting partnership? Kander and Ebb
    5. Which Leicestershire non-league football club defeated Notts County to qualify for the first round of the FA Cup for the first time in their history? Coalville Town
    6. Which Suffolk non-league football club defeated Maidstone United to reach the FA Cup first round for the first time in their history? Needham Market Hot Orange
    7. A subsidiary of the Newell Company, which pen company launched the retractable ball point pen known as "the Jotter", which was favoured by President John F Kennedy? Parker
    8. A subsidiary of the Newell Company, which manufacturer of multicoloured permanent marker pens was favoured by President Donald Trump for signing official documents? Sharpie
    9. Zaha Hadid was the first woman to win which annual award, dubbed the "Nobel Prize of architecture" ? Pritzker Prize
    10. Named after a Scottish architect who was the first British winner of A9, which annual award for architectural excellence is awarded by RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects)? Stirling Prize
    11. David Embury's "The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks" includes six basic cocktails. Which recipe mixes cognac with lemon juice and triple sec, and is garnished with a twist of lemon peel? Sidecar
    12. Also included in the same book, which recipe combines whiskey, syrup and Angostura bitters, and is garnished with lemon peel and a Maraschino cherry? Old Fashioned
    13. In office from 1960 to 1993, Felix Houphouet-Boigny was the first President of which West African country following independence from France? Before switching to Yamoussoukro, this country's previous capital came first in global alphabetical order. Côte d'Ivoire
    14. In office from 1961 to 1985, Julius Nyerere was the first President of which East African country following independence from the UK? The highest summit in Africa is located in this nation. Tanzania
    15. The lyrics of the Indian national anthem are not in Hindi, but in which "scheduled" language, also the official language of Bangladesh? Bengali
    16. The lyrics of the Singapore national anthem have been translated into English, Tamil and Mandarin, but by law must be sung in which other official language? Malay
    17. A spin-off from Doctor Who, which series first broadcast in 2007 featured Elizabeth Sladen as the title character. It continued on CBBC until Sladen's death in 2011. Sarah Jane Adventures
    18. Torchwood, another spin-off from Doctor Who, has its central focus in which British city, through which runs a fictional space-time rift? Torchwood
    19. Following her sister's retirement, Venus Williams is the active leader in women's tennis with 7 grand slam singles titles.Which Polish woman is joint-third in the active list with three titles? Iga Swiatek
    20. Second on the active female list is which Japanese player with two Australian Open wins (2019, 2021) and two US Open successes (2018, 2020)? Naomi Osaka
    Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 04-11-2022, 22:15.

This seems surprisingly easy. I can get more than half without googling (and the others seem pretty easy to Google)

Comment

Well, generally sets will include 6-8 (out of 60) questions designed to fox even Mastermind veterans (many of whom are on teams), but thought it was safest to keep in the middle of the road for the first outing. To give as many people the chance to post, the only rule will be one answer per person until 7, if we're not finished by then.

Comment

6. Needham Market.

Comment

Well, it's 7 now, so fire away, everyone.

Comment

18: Cardiff.
            Last edited by Granthamian; 05-11-2022, 08:53.

Comment

1. Which British singer, born Niomi McLean-Daley, had a hit with "It Takes More" in 2002?
              2. Ben Ainslie won 4 Olympic gold medals. In which dinghy class were 3 of those medals won in 2004, 2008 and 2012? Rogin the Armchair fan
              3. Which referee, with a striking appearance, appeared on the cover of the video game "Pro Evolution Soccer 3" in 2003? Sheep
              4. Which record label, founded by Berry Gordy in 1959, was later folded into Motown? ursus arctos
              5. What mammal, unusually dependent on the environment to regulate its body temperature, can starve to death, even with adequate food supplies, if the local temperature drops?
              6. Which element in the periodic table, with atomic number 27, and symbol Co, derives it name from the German for "goblin" or "evil spirit"? Sheep
              7. Baarle-Hertog are a series of enclaves belonging to which country? They are surrounded by the Netherlands. Sheep
              8. What is the specific name for the scientific study of rivers? ursus arctos
              9. Who was the first black man appointed to the House of Lords? He was named Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1939. Etienne
              10. Name the Liverpool band whose singles include "Bring on the Dancing Horses" and "The Killing Moon" . Etienne
              11. Which British singer, born Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam, had a hit with "Paper Planes" in 2007? Sheep
              12. Shirley Robertson won 2 gold medals in Olympic sailing, in which sailing class did she win the last of these in 2004?
              13. Which England forward, with a striking appearance, appeared on the cover of the video game "FIFA Street 3" in 2008? delicatemoth
              14. Which record label, founded by Jim Stewart and Estelle Axton in 1957, released the single "Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis Redding? delicatemoth
              15. Known as "water bears", what animals can survive for thousands of years, through a process called cryptobiosis, which halts their metabolism? delicatemoth
              16. Name element number 38, with the symbol Sr, that derives its name from a Scottish village. ad hoc
              17. Nakhchivan is an enclave belonging to which country? It borders Iran, Turkey and Armenia. ad hoc
              18. What is the specific name for the scientific study of inland aquatic ecosystems? ursus arctos
              19. Who was the first black woman appointed to the House of Lords? She later became Secretary for International Development. Etienne
              20. Name the Liverpool band whose hits include "Pure and Simple" and " The Life of Riley". Rogin the Armchair fan
              Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 11-11-2022, 14:54.

Comment

Know for sure:
                7. Belgium
                11. M.I.A.

Educated guess:
                3. Pierluigi Collina
                6. Cobalt

Comment

16 Strontium (I had no idea it was named after a Scottish village)
                  17 Azerbaijan

8. Riverology

Comment

9 Must be Baron Learie Constantine

Comment

2. Finn
                      16. Strontium
                      17. Azerbaijan
                      20. The Lightning Seeds

Comment

10 is Echo & The Bunnymen
                        20 is The Lightning Seeds

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          16 Strontium (I had no idea it was named after a Scottish village)
                          Did your team never play my Strontian Dogs in x11?

10. Echo and the Bunnymen
                          13. Peter Crouch
                          14. Stax
                          15. Tardigrades
                          20. Lightning Seeds

17. Azerbaijan?

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Did your team never play my Strontian Dogs in x11?
                            Must have, assuming we were in the same league. However, I think I may have read it as Strontium rather than Strontian

Comment

Ah, I'm wondering if I misremember the name now. I'd have thought I would have found that pun/reference irresistible though.

Comment

1, 4, 5, 8, 12, 18 and 19 still up for grabs.

Comment

I guess Baroness Amos for 19, given that they have to have been International Development Secretary.

Comment

4 is Tamla
                                    8 is Potamology
                                    18 may be Limnology

Comment

We're flying now!

Comment

If 20 is indeed the Lightning Seeds, then the hit should be "Pure" instead of "Pure and Simple".

Comment

Will give you the remaining answers before I depart:

1. M.I.A.
                                          5. Sloth
                                          12. Yngling (sic)

Comment

1. A tegestologist collects which items, typically found in pubs? ursus arctos
                                            2. Max Verstappen became the first non-British, non-German F1 champion since which Finn, in 2007? ursus arctos
                                            3. Which Scottish entertainer won the second series of RuPaul's Drag Race UK?
                                            4. Which 20th century Spanish composer and pianist wrote the classical guitar piece Concierto de Aranjuez? ad hoc
                                            5. What two-word term describes a verbal tense indicating an action to be completed later, such as "I will have done the quiz"? ad hoc
                                            6. Name the Cornish open-air theatre constructed out of granite cliffs near Land's End? Gangster Octopus
                                            7. Officially the Communist Party of Peru, which revolutionary group was founded by Abimal Guzman in 1970? ursus arctos
                                            8. The Hubble Space Telescope photographed which three-worded column of dust and smoke in the constellation Serpens in 1995? San Bernardhinault
                                            9. "In for the Kill" and "Bulletproof" were singles released by which British synthpop duo in 2007? Etienne
                                            10. Who is the eldest child of Edward and Sophie Wessex?
                                            11. An arctophile collects which toy? lambers
                                            12. Which Canadian was the last non-European F1 champion in 1997? ursus arctos
                                            13. Name the English drag queen who won season 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race UK?
                                            14. Which 19th century Spanish composer and pianist wrote Tango in D for the guitar repertoire and Iberia for piano?
                                            15. What single-word term for a verbal tense indicates an action completed before a specific time, such as "I had done the quiz"? ad hoc
                                            16. Another popular Cornish attraction are the Lost Gardens of which estate, owned by the Tremayne family? delicatemoth
                                            17. Name the militant guerrilla movement founded in Turkey by Abdullah Ocalan in the 1970s? ad hoc
                                            18. The Hubble Space Telescope also photographed which towering dust cloud, a nebula in Orion? lambers
                                            19. "Break Your Heart" and " Dynamite" were hits in 2009 and 2010 for which English singer and producer? Walt Flanagans Dog
                                            20. Who is the eldest child of Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall?
                                            Last edited by Discordant Resonance; 18-11-2022, 19:53.

Comment

4 Joaquin Rodrigo
                                              5 Present perfect
                                              15 pluperfect I guess (though typically it;s more often referred to as past perfect)
                                              17 PKK (but i don't know what that stands for) (in English it's Kurdistan workers party, but i presume the PKK is something in Kurdish)

Comment

1 Beer Mats
                                                2 Raikkonen

Comment

By the way, this clue
                                                  What two-word term describes a verbal tense indicating an action to be completed later, such as "I have done the quiz"?
                                                  is dead weird. That action is completed.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X