Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle Ryder Cup 2: RoWdies' Revenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTF Wordle Ryder Cup 2: RoWdies' Revenge?

It's a smidge over five months since Team GB jubilantly hoisted the Wordle Ryder Cup, bedecked in ribbons of blue, to mark victory by the sphincter-loosening margin of 13 points to 12. Of the 1976 shots played across the competition, a bad bounce here, a helpful skip there, and the coveted trophy could have been winging its way to...er, somewhere else.

What the naked numbers on the scoreboard fail to reflect is that the Rest of the World would have cantered to triumph had points been on offer for team camaraderie. Perhaps it was the undisturbed laser focus that carried GB over the line, or perhaps {insert lazy cliche about island mentality}.

My impression is that this time round it may take some work to balance the numbers in each team, so I may be playing my Irish great-grandparent card to adduce eligibility for RoW.

The format for this edition is the same as what was planned for WRC1 (although in the event there were some tweaks owing to personnel changes) with three rounds of nine-hole matches, viz.:

Round 1: Fourballs / Foursomes
    Round 2: Fourballs / Foursomes
    Round 3: Singles

In fourballs, team-mates play in pairs. Each player plays every hole, and the better score is counted for that team. Here are a couple of illustrative examples:
    TEAM A TEAM B Result
    Player A1 Player A2 Player B1 Player B2
    3 4 5 3 Halved
    4 3 2 6 B wins

In foursomes, each team-mate plays alternate holes, so every hole is contested one-on-one. There will be a pre-determined order:

Hole 1 A1 v B1
    Hole 2 A2 v B2
    Hole 3 A1 v B2
    Hole 4 A2 v B1
    Hole 5 A1 v B1
    ...etc

It's helpful if the non-designated players send me their score by PM - unless they have already seen their team-mate's post for that day - as a 'saver' in case circumstances prevent the named player from getting to the course.

The intention is that each player will get one round of foursomes and one of fourballs, in either order. Pairings will be refreshed for each round.

Entries are now open, and should be received by the end of Saturday, 5th November. The prospective starting date of the competition is Monday, 7th November, and we should be all done about a month from then.
    Last edited by irony towers; 28-10-2022, 11:43.

Entrants at time of last edit:
    GB Either RoW
    Auntie Beryl irony towers Sits
    Hot Orange Rogin the Armchair fan Sporting
    Artificial Hipster Harbinger of Hope San Bernardhinault
    nmrfox Logan Mountstuart
    Sean of the Shed ad hoc
    ale lambers
    Reality Checkpoint caja-dglh
    pebblethefish WOM
    Various Artist Balderdasha
    Simon G Sam
    David Agnew Discordant Resonance
    Last edited by irony towers; 05-11-2022, 11:29.

Comment

You bloody legend. Put me down for Rest of the Bloody World mate.

Comment

I'm in. If numbers need balancing I could almost qualify as a guest for RoW on the grounds that my Dad and brother live in Malta and my sister lives in Norway.
        Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 28-10-2022, 12:31.

Comment

Put me down as up for it.

Comment

Yay! I’m in! I consider myself RoW these days for OTF Wordle purposes. Although in the unlikely event that you need ballast on the GB side I also qualify there.

Comment

Team Bee Gees for me.

Comment

I was a naive Wordle pup in the first Ryder Cup. I'm now a hardend veteran, even if I seem to mostly narrowly lose.

I'm ready to bash some Brits!

Comment

Put me down in that excellent looking RoW squad.

Comment

Yes, please. I have already booked my flight to wherever it is it's taking place.

If the RoW team needs a ringer, I did live in France for a year back in the last century. Otherwise, the depth of my Britishness is the stuff of Suella Braverman's dreams.

Comment

Grandparents all English by birth but I've got plenty of Irish- (and one Indian-) born great grandparents if the RoW is struggling for numbers, although that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Comment

As stout and yeoman as they come, put me down for team GB please (and cos Max has a lovely St George harness and matching golf bag).

Comment

I will be available to represent King and Country. I presume the GB team will be required to have iron on poppies seeing as we will be playing during Armistice Month.

Comment

I think captains need to be appointed on both sides, to pick from the "eithers" in a line-up, along the lines of "I'm not having him, he can't even catch the ball" that I remember so fondly from my schooldays.

Comment

Hmmm... Rogin or the wheezy kid with the inhaler...?

Comment

I've just started getting back into playing Wordle (and derivatives), so this is probably a good time to declare myself fit to play – although if you end up with odd numbers, I'm happy to step away from the tees (predictive said "trees" there, which is, alas, probably a more accurate prediction).

I was RoW last time thanks to one grandparent, and I don't intend to jump ship.

Comment

RoW. Remarkable to think I have spent less than a month in the UK over the last fifteen years.

Comment

It's great to have you back here, lambers. Don't do yourself down while you're on this unbeaten streak of one Ryder Cup match.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                      I think captains need to be appointed on both sides, to pick from the "eithers" in a line-up, along the lines of "I'm not having him, he can't even catch the ball" that I remember so fondly from my schooldays.
                                      As Rogin knows full well, there won't be any picking of sides in that fashion. If there's any decision to be made over where to allocate the 'eithers' I'll attempt to gauge their relative strength of affiliation to whichever team has a deficit in numbers.

I was half-toying with having captains who would submit a playing order for the singles matches, with the added possibility of a staggered start to these matches over three days. If any part of these proposals would make a single person less comfortable in participating, I shan't pursue the idea further.

Comment

I haven't lived in Britain since I failed to pay my poll tax. I have 2 Dutch daughters and Brexit and the Tories can fuck off. My ROW status is non negotiable.

If that helps, IT.

Comment

Still trying to get the hang of it but I'm in again irony towers. As the worker has no fatherland put me on whichever team works best for you.

Comment

My family tree indicates English peasant stock back to the 1750s at least (we did once have a traction engine driver but he didn't get very far) so I guess I'm in team GB.

Comment

I'm so Team GB that I'm the Wordler that the Daily Mirror will put on the back page on the first day of the tournament in a Pearly Kind Union Jack outfit slaying the Rest of the World dragon.

I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                I'm so Team GB that I'm the Wordler that the Daily Mirror will put on the back page on the first day of the tournament in a Pearly Kind Union Jack outfit slaying the Rest of the World dragon.

I'm in.
                                                Will you be wearing Union Jack undies?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Will you be wearing Union Jack undies?
                                                  For the sake of us all, let's hope some undies are involved, of whatever fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X