X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 3 Balderdasha

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
      I often feel that my matches are the last match on MOTD (avoids saying match 3 times in a sentence).

But today my second shot loped its way down the dry fairway, on to the green and into the hole, WOM.

​​​​
      Whilst mine found the cart path, a sprinkler head and needly shelter of a jack pine, resulting in a 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
        San Bernardhinault Somehow, another 3.
        And somehow the same for me. We're going in to the last all square which at least means we have the thrill and adrenaline to fall back on now there's no consistent pattern in the scoring to salve our nerdy minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger of Hope View Post
          A 4 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
            A terrible feeling that the pressure is getting to me and effecting my putting - a disastrous 5 on hole 8 Artificial Hipster
            A 3 for me. Best of luck on the 9th.

Comment

I often feel that my matches are the last match on MOTD (avoids saying match 3 times in a sentence).
              No you didn't, that's still all one sentence...

Comment

Day 26 report:

Match concluded today:

pebblethefish beat Sits 2 & 1 - the mirror-image of the result in their previous encounter

A cherished matchplay record is under serious threat: nmrfox v Rogin the Armchair fan is cumulatively 14 under par, and a total of nine strokes or fewer on the final hole would set a new record for the lowest aggregate, dethroning the celebrated El Spoonico clash of Simon G v lambers in WMT1. Should either player make eagle or better, they will eclipse Simon's individual mark of eight under par for a tournament round. What with yesterday's birthday, a new dog and even a thumping win tonight for Leicester City, it's plain to see who's commandeered those sunlit uplands we were all promised.

No less remarkable than the top game's Nicklaus-Watson re-enactment is the seismic transformation in the scoring of David Agnew to pull back to all square from 3 down after four. DA has trodden a similarly oblique path before, with wild swings of momentum in the WMT1 encounter with EEG, and will take heart from knowing that victory from 3 down is not unprecedented.

How could I not include Logan Mountstuart's eagle 2 in the WOTD highlights package? It would elicit lyrical outpourings even from the lips of Danny Murphy. Logan takes custody of the dormice, as do Foxy, Artificial Hipster, Harbinger of Hope and Sam.

Note to all players: The current intention is to begin the fourth and final round of WMT2 on Thursday 6th (Wordle game 474), with pairings being published the day before.

Round 3 scoreboard:
                Grade Pts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
                nmrfox 221 2 3 3 3 3 3 4 3 3 1 UP
                Rogin the Armchair fan 209 2 3 3 4 3 4 2 2 4
                Hot Orange 211 2 4 3 3 5 3 5
                Sean of the Shed 220 1.5 3 4 2 4 2 4 Won 4 & 3
                ad hoc 208 1.5 3 3 4 3 3 4 Won 4 & 3
                irony towers 203 1.5 4 5 5 5 2 5
                pebblethefish 207 1.5 4 4 4 3 2 5 3 3 Won 2 & 1
                Sits 196 1.5 6 4 4 3 3 4 4 3
                Artificial Hipster 203 1.5 3 4 4 3 4 4 3 3 1 UP
                Simon G 201 1.5 5 3 4 5 3 4 3 5
                Sporting 203 1 5 3 4 4 4 5 5
                Various Artist 194 1 4 6 4 3 3 3 4 Won 4 & 2
                Auntie Beryl 202 1 3 4 5 6 3 3 3 3 A/S
                San Bernardhinault 191 1 5 4 4 4 3 4 3 3
                ale 201 1 4 4 4 3 4 4 Won 4 & 3
                Guy Profumo 191 1 5 4 5 F 4 5
                WOM 201 1 4 3 5 3 3 5 5 5
                Logan Mountstuart 186 1 4 3 3 4 4 4 5 2 1 UP
                Harbinger of Hope 200 1 4 4 4 4 3 5 3 2 UP
                Balderdasha 202 0.5 3 6 4 5 6 3 4
                caja-dglh 200 0 3 4 3 4 3 6 3 Won 4 & 2
                Gregario 194 0 4 6 5 5 3 5 4
                Sam 195 0 5 3 5 3 3 4 4 3 1 UP
                Uncle Ethan 194 0 6 3 4 4 3 3 4 6
                David Agnew 194 0 6 6 3 5 3 3 3 2 A/S
                Discordant Resonance 185 0 3 5 3 4 3 4 4 3
                Day 26 stroke average: 3.44

Comment

I suspect you'll finalise victory to day Sam as I recorded another poor score - five.

Comment

Well Mr. Versleten Brommer. Its been a really good, topsy turvy match. So thank you. And it sounds like my daughter is loving your city.

My dormouse is neither snarling nor laying down in my defence. If you can beat a 4 you'll halve the match.

Comment

Wordle appears to be broken today for me. Both via the app and via the NYT website. Just get a page not found message

Comment

OK it's back up now

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                          I suspect you'll finalise victory to day Sam as I recorded another poor score - five.
                          Well, I've fucked it. 6 for me, so an honourable draw. Good game!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                            Sam UE has posted in the spoilers thread that the solution was different from the one that others have had today. Especially since this is the deciding hole of your match, I'd want to ensure that you're meeting on equal terms. Please would you compare notes on which game you've played? If necessary we'll void your hole for today and play the ninth hole tomorrow.

This may or may not be related to ad hoc's experience of the Wordle webpage going down. For the record, I played at around the same time as UE posted, and got the word that's showing in the spoilers thread.

Comment

nmrfox a par 4 for me up the last, that I fear might not be enough. It's been a thoroughly enjoyable game, and my first ever in which I've not only scored 2 eagles but have kept a bogey off my card. To lose, if I have, in such circumstances is not a disappointment as much as an honour!

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

Sam UE has posted in the spoilers thread that the solution was different from the one that others have had today. Especially since this is the deciding hole of your match, I'd want to ensure that you're meeting on equal terms. Please would you compare notes on which game you've played? If necessary we'll void your hole for today and play the ninth hole tomorrow.

This may or may not be related to ad hoc's experience of the Wordle webpage going down. For the record, I played at around the same time as UE posted, and got the word that's showing in the spoilers thread.

Drama! The word that took me six goes was the same word everyone who isn't UE is posting on that thread. As this is such an important point, and for the benefit of transparency, I shall post evidence of this over on the spoilers thread in a minute.

[EDIT TO ADD: Posted over there now.]
                                Last edited by Sam; 04-10-2022, 06:58.

Comment

A final 3 by me, David Agnew.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post

I am fine with playing the hole again. FWIW it was not yesterday's solution either (perhaps obviously seeing as I took 5). I used my NYTimes account on my ipad to get my 5. When I saw the other thread I then looked at the same account on my work PC. The grid came up blank and then had the same solution as others had today. Some sort of glitch in the matrix. This has been a very strange game for a whole lot of reasons!

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                      A final 3 by me, David Agnew.
                                      Spursed it up. Par 4.

Comment

The flukiest of flukey second shots left me with a tap in putt and a 1 under par 3 on the final hole for me Artificial Hipster

Comment

Anything Is Possible, according to Will Young in 2002, and that is certainly the case in our match San Bernardhinault.

As I have recorded a 5 today, you require par (or better) to win the match.

Comment

A birdie 3 today Rogin the Armchair fan. Been a superb match this and must admit that I've been very fortunate on a couple of my guesses.

Comment

4 for me Balderdasha

Comment

Well Mr. Versleten Brommer. Its been a really good, topsy turvy match. So thank you. And it sounds like my daughter is loving your city.

My dormouse is neither snarling nor laying down in my defence. If you can beat a 4 you'll halve the match.
                                                The match is yours, good sir. A 5 for me today. Thank you kindly. And very happy to hear she's enjoying her stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                                                  Anything Is Possible, according to Will Young in 2002, and that is certainly the case in our match San Bernardhinault.

As I have recorded a 5 today, you require par (or better) to win the match.
                                                  Oh! You have so much faith in my abilities. I, as others have done, properly Spursed it up and managed to lose the match with a 6. I didn’t even hit any particularly bad shots. Well played.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                    The flukiest of flukey second shots left me with a tap in putt and a 1 under par 3 on the final hole for me Artificial Hipster
                                                    So yesterday I deliberated long and hard over a 50/50 for my 3rd which ultimately made no difference to the outcome, today it was the same scenario for my 4th. Today's didn't drop. Great game Simon, a draw the right result.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X