X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A four for me Balderdasha

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
      caja-dglh A jittery 4 on the eighth hole.
      Pounced upon with a three! Squeaky Bum time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
        Artificial Hipster It's a Thursday three.
        Then may I congratulate and thank you for an enjoyable match. Another frustrating one for me today. 2 greens and an orange on my first line which I left to mull over my options. My second shot in effect ruled out all of them and left only the right answer but because I was rushing things while cooking tea I stupidly entered another of my earlier options anyway with my orange in the same place as the previous line. Don't try to do Wordle while stirring vegetables is the moral here.

Comment

Ooh, that’s bad luck. If you’d plumped for a ready meal, we’d be taking our plus fours down the last. Steer clear of vegetables, kids. Thanks to you for the game - it felt like a close back-and-forth affair from the outset.

Comment

Two results to come today, from Balderdasha and David Agnew. Perhaps they're playing ... very ... carefully. (Or giving proper attention to the broccoli.) Both have 4 to beat.
            Last edited by irony towers; 13-10-2022, 21:31.

Comment

Two results to come today, from Balderdasha and David Agnew. Perhaps they're playing ... very ... carefully. (Or giving proper attention to the broccoli.) Both have 4 to beat.
              I nearly missed it today, and I got..... Drumroll....

A three!

Does that mean I win?

Comment

Day 36 report:

Matches concluded today:

Sean of the Shed beat nmrfox 2 & 1 - an exact repeat of the result in their ladder match

Hot Orange beat Artificial Hipster 2 & 1 - now every one of us knows the pain of a WMT L

Rogin the Armchair fan beat Simon G 2 & 1 - after nine decisive holes in a row, Rogin finds the knack of coasting home with four successive halves

And then there were two: Sean of the Shed wins through to face ad hoc in a playoff for the title. It's tempting to describe Sean as nmrfox's 'bogey' opponent, except that it would carry entirely the wrong implication in golfing parlance. Sean has strayed over par just twice all tournament. It's beyond dispute that they have been the pre-eminent players across the four rounds, leading the stats for stroke average and holes won, and ceding a half-point only to each other.

caja-dglh and Sporting produced admirable birdies to see off the first wave of the Dormouse Army. Several storylines remain unresolved as we head into the final scheduled day of the tournament proper... and the bonus chapter might be the best of the lot.

Round 4 scoreboard:
                Grade Pts 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
                nmrfox 224 3 3 5 4 4 4 4 3 4
                Sean of the Shed 223 2.5 3 3 5 4 3 3 4 3 Won 2 & 1
                ad hoc 211 2.5 2 5 3 5 3 3 Won 5 & 3
                pebblethefish 210 2.5 3 6 4 5 5 4
                Hot Orange 208 2 3 6 4 5 4 3 5 3 Won 2 & 1
                Artificial Hipster 203 2 3 3 5 5 6 4 4 4
                Rogin the Armchair fan 206 2 3 5 5 4 4 3 4 4 Won 2 & 1
                Simon G 201 2 5 6 4 5 4 3 4 4
                Auntie Beryl 205 2 3 5 4 4 5 4 4 4 A/S
                Various Artist 197 2 3 5 6 4 4 4 4 4
                ale 204 2 3 5 5 5 5 3 3 4 A/S
                Logan Mountstuart 191 2 5 4 5 5 4 3 4 4
                Harbinger of Hope 203 2 4 6 5 6 4 3 5
                Sits 193 1.5 2 3 5 5 4 3 4 Won 4 & 2
                irony towers 200 1.5 3 4 3 5 4 3 4 4 1 UP
                caja-dglh 203 1 3 4 5 5 4 4 4 3
                Sporting 200 1 3 F 4 4 5 6 4 3
                Sam 198 1 4 5 3 4 5 4 4 4 1 UP
                San Bernardhinault 188 1 3 5 5 4 4 3 Won 4 & 3
                Discordant Resonance 188 1 3 6 5 5 6 4
                WOM 196 1 3 5 4 4 4 4 Won 4 & 3
                Guy Profumo 188 1 3 6 5 4 5 5
                Balderdasha 199 0.5 4 6 5 6 4 4 4 3 A/S
                Gregario 191 0 3 6 4 4 6 4 5 4
                David Agnew 191 0 3 6 5 5 4 4 5 4 A/S
                Uncle Ethan 191 0 4 4 5 6 4 4 3 4
                Day 36 stroke average: 3.72
                Last edited by irony towers; 14-10-2022, 08:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

Does that mean I win?
                  Your post came in while I was compiling the update, Balders. The scoreboard now includes your result, which leaves you all square and heading to the ground you've stomped time and again.

Comment

Thanks for a great, very tense match, ale.

So, on possibly the biggest day of my Wordle career, I had the choice of two words on go 3.... and chose the wrong sodding option.

A 4 for me.

Comment

So, Sean of the Shed and irony towers, does our play off start today? And is it 3 or 9 holes?

I've played today's hole but not sure if my score is counting.

(fwiw I'm assuming we start today and that it's a 9 holer since the 3 idea got overlooked)

Comment

Fuck, fuck, FUCK. Aware that I came into today up by a single dormouse, I gathered two oranges and a green from my standard opening two guesses. And then memory came into play: specifically, the memory of taking a turn longer than I might have a day or two ago because I chickened out of what my instinct said (which turned out to be the correct answer) and opted for my standard third guess, meaning a par when I could have birdied. So, with that in mind, I decided to go for it today ... and fucked it. Still one green and two oranges in guess 3, which left me with two realistic options for guess 4. My standard guess 3 would have eliminated both my actual guess 3 and one of those two remaining options ... and it was that would-have-been-eliminated option I plumped for on guess 4.

So long story short: Sporting, if you can beat 5 today you've salvaged a draw, and whatever happens I'm kicking myself for some absolutely woeful tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          So, Sean of the Shed and irony towers, does our play off start today? And is it 3 or 9 holes?

I've played today's hole but not sure if my score is counting.

(fwiw I'm assuming we start today and that it's a 9 holer since the 3 idea got overlooked)
                          My personal preference is 9 holes, but we both need to agree of course (otherwise I will accept irony towers adjudication) and I am happy to start today.

Comment

OK let's go 9 holes, assuming IT is happy for the extra work keeping track

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                              Thanks for a great, very tense match, ale.

So, on possibly the biggest day of my Wordle career, I had the choice of two words on go 3.... and chose the wrong sodding option.

A 4 for me.
                              And for me. Been a close fought game from start and typically could have gone another way at very death from your comment. I think it first draw have been involved in and echo your appreciation for the match.

Comment

ad hoc Sean of the Shed You're good to begin your nine-hole playoff today, with sudden-death elimination to follow on directly if required. (The nine-hole result will be counted for ladder grading but not for the overall tournament stats.)

And... play Wordle!

Comment

Thought I'd logged yesterdays. 4 yesterday and 4 today, Uncle Ethan

Comment

Game on. Opened with a par 4 ad hoc

Comment

Mine was a 3 (as alluded to in the spoilers thread). I\d say "first blood" but it has always seemed a bit of a gory metaphor, and hence I'll instead compare myself to the Netherlands in the 1974 world cup final

Comment

Not Davide Gualtieri?

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          Not Davide Gualtieri?
                                          We'll see. Entirely possibly.

Comment

Hot Orange beat Artificial Hipster 3 & 1
                                            I think it was 2 & 1. And our scores for the day were 3 and 4, not the 4 and 5 shown in the table.

So, having been the irritating guy who points out a couple of minor and incredibly rare errors, let me try to redress the balance by saying that these competitions greatly enhance my Wordling enjoyment, and I am hugely appreciative of the work and wit you put into it.

Comment

Many thanks for spotting that Hot Orange. I had the wrong page of my Bits of Paper (TM) in front of me, as I was gazing in awe at the first instalment of Sean v ad hoc and then read off from your Round 2 result. Now amended on the scoreboard, with apologies.

Comment

4 for me today too.

Comment

Various Artist wait for it....

gird your loins...

hold your horses...

A 4.

Can you break the chain and decide this match one way or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                                                    Fuck, fuck, FUCK. Aware that I came into today up by a single dormouse, I gathered two oranges and a green from my standard opening two guesses. And then memory came into play: specifically, the memory of taking a turn longer than I might have a day or two ago because I chickened out of what my instinct said (which turned out to be the correct answer) and opted for my standard third guess, meaning a par when I could have birdied. So, with that in mind, I decided to go for it today ... and fucked it. Still one green and two oranges in guess 3, which left me with two realistic options for guess 4. My standard guess 3 would have eliminated both my actual guess 3 and one of those two remaining options ... and it was that would-have-been-eliminated option I plumped for on guess 4.

So long story short: Sporting, if you can beat 5 today you've salvaged a draw, and whatever happens I'm kicking myself for some absolutely woeful tactics.
                                                    I'm sorry and also lucky but I managed a 4. You played better than me but the equivalent of two injury time goals salvaged me the draw.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X