OTF Wordle matchplay tournament 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

I think once you’re in the water hazard you’ve already got a drowning problem even before you enhance the pond with your lachrymosity.
    Indeed, although it wasn't so much the fact of being in there which was the problem, rather it was my undue haste to get out making things worse.

Comment

Auntie Beryl a birdie! 3! This may well be my high point.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Interesting that you use the Valenciano name for the latter place.
        I wondered why I’d seen two spellings. The Spanish health arrival form used Calp rather than Calpe so I decided to use that.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post
          Have started with a 4 nmrfox
          Same for me. Cagey opening hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            I managed a par 4 on the first, WOM
            While I scratched, for a rather ignominious opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
              Auntie Beryl a birdie! 3! This may well be my high point.
              It's quite a start! First hole to you - I scored 4.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

While I scratched, for a rather ignominious opening.
                Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                  I've carded a five today, Harbinger of Hope
                  I managed a 4. Hard lines Guy.

Comment

Here at WBC we retain our commitment to a full results service. First let's take a look at the Late(r) Tee-Offs board:

caja-dglh (5 to beat) - there's no issue as long as you get to play today's hole while it's available to you, so it's fine if you do a catch-up post tomorrow UK time.

David Agnew (4 to beat) - hopefully you've picked up the tagged posts and PM to confirm that you're in the tournament (ad hoc I'll go to a contingency plan if need be)

Various Artist (5 to beat) - no concerns as I fully expect you to rock up at 11:53 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                      A slow 5 to start off the round today caja-dglh

Just to put everyone on warning, I've been playing a lot of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 on the PlayStation 2 this week so I'm getting down with all the golf lingo
                      a woeful 6.

Comment

Originally posted by irony towers View Post
                        Various Artist (5 to beat) - no concerns as I fully expect you to rock up at 11:53 or so.
                        To paraphrase Elaine & Barbara, you know me so well IT. Busy today with family stuff but managed to get on here at last with half an hour or thereabouts of the day still available.

Hot Orange I managed to scrape together a 4, and was slightly surprised to find that puts me 1-up after the first hole.

Comment

Spoiled that by going straight back out onto the course to play my second hole, where I promptly took a very frustrating 5.

Comment

Day 1 report:

On Friday I attended a First Aid training course, where the scenarios were markedly less harrowing than the sight of today's scorecard. Three strike-outs and a stroke average of 4.84 (conventionally a failure is reckoned as seven shots) make this statistically the most dismal day in Wordle tournament history. Old hands will anticipate what's in the white text: for the seventh time in eight tournament rounds, the difficulty of the first hole was heightened by the solution containing a repeated letter.

The only beacons in the fog were debutant Gregario and (it eventually transpired) Sam. Their opponents will doubtless be glaring ruefully towards the four players for whom a bogey five was enough to win the hole. Ironically enough, it was Auntie Beryl who took to tournament Wordle like potassium to water midway through WMT1.

Round 1 scoreboard:

This time round, as was previously requested, I'll show the scores of all players, not just of those who won or halved the hole. Any feedback as to whether this aids or hinders clarity will be welcome.
                            Grade 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Match
                            David Agnew 200
                            ad hoc 203
                            Gregario 200 3 1 UP
                            Auntie Beryl 202 4
                            Sean of the Shed 220 4 1 UP
                            WOM 200 F
                            nmrfox 216 4 A/S
                            ale 200 4
                            caja-dglh 206 6
                            Simon G 198 5 1 UP
                            Hot Orange 205 5
                            Various Artist 194 4 1 UP
                            Balderdasha 205 5 1 UP
                            Sits 193 6
                            pebblethefish 204 5 1 UP
                            Discordant Resonance 191 6
                            Rogin the Armchair fan 204 5 A/S
                            Uncle Ethan 200 5
                            Sporting 203 F
                            San Bernardhinault 191 5 1 UP
                            Harbinger of Hope 200 4 1 UP
                            Guy Profumo 191 5
                            Sam 203 3 1 UP
                            Logan Mountstuart 183 4
                            irony towers 200 4 1 UP
                            Artificial Hipster 200 F
                            Last edited by irony towers; 04-09-2022, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                              Good morning Sam, and good luck in the tournament.

I started with a 4 today.

Also, as an aid to reducing our massive time difference, I shall not be playing at my usual, god- forsaken hour as my well earned 3 week holiday starts today!

I'm hoping the lack of pre - work time pressure might improve my hopeless performance in the ladder matches.
                              Er, this is tremendously embarrassing and I'm calling on irony towers to give us a steward's decision (is that a thing in golf?) on what to do ... but I misreported my score on the opening hole. I actually got it in 3. I've just grabbed a screenshot on my phone in case you'd like me to submit it as evidence (I won't do so yet because it's still Saturday here in the Americas, so some folks might be yet to play it), but I'm very aware that if Logan saw what I (said I'd) scored before he played, he might well have played it a bit differently had he known he was trying to equal or better a 3 rather than the 4 he thought he was chasing. So, any thoughts/rules on what we should do? Terribly sorry ...

Comment

And I've now read the day's score post to find that I've also bollocksed up the placeholder opponent score for ad hoc too! Absolutely covering myself in glory here ...

Comment

San Bernardhinault a 3 for me on hole 2.

And I'm curious: why Calp/Calpe in particular?
                                  Last edited by Sporting; 04-09-2022, 06:19.

Comment

On the green in two. Wobbly first putt. In for a 4 for me Rogin the Armchair fan.

Comment

A much more satisfactory 3 today Discordant Resonance

Comment

That's a two today, Harbinger of Hope

Comment

So on a day when the average score was nearly 5, I get randomly assigned an opponent who matched my (effective birdie) 4 and then decided he'd signed the wrong scorecard and actually won?

Today I got a 2. If I get randomly assigned an opponent who gets a hole in one, I'll be contacting my lawyers

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post

Er, this is tremendously embarrassing and I'm calling on irony towers to give us a steward's decision (is that a thing in golf?) on what to do ... but I misreported my score on the opening hole. I actually got it in 3. I've just grabbed a screenshot on my phone in case you'd like me to submit it as evidence (I won't do so yet because it's still Saturday here in the Americas, so some folks might be yet to play it), but I'm very aware that if Logan saw what I (said I'd) scored before he played, he might well have played it a bit differently had he known he was trying to equal or better a 3 rather than the 4 he thought he was chasing. So, any thoughts/rules on what we should do? Terribly sorry ...
                                            It's fine, Sam​​​​​​. I completely missed your post yesterday until well after I played, wondering all day when you were going to post. You can see this in my own post because I wrote "I started with a 4" rather than "I scored a 4 TOO, or AS WELL" or " I matched your 4".

As someone who embarrassingly once posted the answer on The Ryder Cup thread by mistake I have no complaints. Mistakes happen.

Anyway, I managed an incredibly lucky 3 today on the second, so I'm quite happy with things.

Comment

I've never had a lawyer in my life.

Comment

Another 5 on hole 2 caja-dglh

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                                  On the green in two. Wobbly first putt. In for a 4 for me Rogin the Armchair fan.
                                                  Uncle Ethan I had much the same today - par 4, so we're still all square.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post

It's fine, Sam​​​​​​. I completely missed your post yesterday until well after I played, wondering all day when you were going to post. You can see this in my own post because I wrote "I started with a 4" rather than "I scored a 4 TOO, or AS WELL" or " I matched your 4".

As someone who embarrassingly once posted the answer on The Ryder Cup thread by mistake I have no complaints. Mistakes happen.

Anyway, I managed an incredibly lucky 3 today on the second, so I'm quite happy with things.
                                                    That's very gracious of you, so thanks for that, but I do think that for the good of the competition (and ad hoc's blood pressure) we should await an official judgement from irony towers.

On our second hole, I've definitely scored a 4, so depending on whether my hole 1 score is the one I originally declared or the one I later realised I'd actually got, either we're even or you're one up after two.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X