No announcement yet.

OTF Wordle matchplay tournament 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are any amount of asterisks that can be applied to Parer Day. Lad who introduced me to Wordle lost his 200 & counting unbeaten record. And surprised S only cropped up so sparingly during this current tournament.

Comment

Loving all the stats, IT! This is great stuff. Am going to go and try ALERT as a starter word for today based on it being effectively the most likely set of letters in the course of the tournament so far.

Comment

I can only echo what everyone else has saidirony towers It's a fabulous job you're doing for which huge thanks are in order. I've already forgotten where dormice come into it though.

Comment

The proper matchplay term is dormie when one player's lead cannot be overhauled, eg if you were leading by two holes with two to play you'd be dormie 2 up.

In a post during a ladder match, this was unwittingly 'corrected' to dormice by predictive text, and the term stuck. It later transpired that the etymology of dormie may indeed be connected with the rodents.

Comment

Thanks. Obviously I've got no idea what a ladder match is either but I won't trouble you for another explanation, I'm sure I'll work it out if I ever need to.

Comment

It's where most of us now hang out in between tournaments. You were assigned a grade of 200 upon entering WMT2, and you're free to challenge any player once we're done.

Comment

Oh bring it on, IT. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.

And as many have said already, thank you for bringing at least 15 mins daily excitement into my life (thumb up emoji).

If Sean is Norman Bites Yer Legs, then I am Monty Python's Black Night.
                Last edited by Logan Mountstuart; 24-09-2022, 14:03.

Comment

I'm like Michael Palin's fish-slapping dancer, about to be slammed into the canal by a salmon.

Comment

Happily there's been no sign of anyone wanting to opt out of the remaining rounds, so here are the Round 3 pairings (match points in red):

nmrfox 2 v Rogin the Armchair fan 2

Hot Orange 2 v Sean of the Shed 1.5

ad hoc 1.5 v irony towers 1.5

pebblethefish 1.5 v Sits 1.5

Artificial Hipster 1.5 v Simon G 1.5

Sporting 1 v Various Artist 1

Auntie Beryl 1 v San Bernardhinault 1

ale 1 v Guy Profumo 1

WOM 1 v Logan Mountstuart 1

Harbinger of Hope 1 v Balderdasha 0.5

caja-dglh 0 v Levin (Gregario) 0

Sam 0 v Uncle Ethan 0

David Agnew 0 v Discordant Resonance 0

As was notified previously, Round 3 is scheduled to begin on Monday with Wordle game 464. We can allow a day's grace for anyone who doesn't pick up the message in time for tomorrow.

Logan, if you've found it irksome to wait for the next round, you ought to have been at my son's wedding yesterday in Wimbledon. The caterers went to... Gatwick.
                    Last edited by irony towers; 25-09-2022, 20:38.

Comment

Congratulations on your son's wedding IT

Comment

Ooh, seconded IT, hope it was a wonderful occasion otherwise. Where did the caterers end up after, though – Schiphol? Vienna? Magaluf?

Comment

They ended up in the right place (via Wembley also), and we had the meal three hours after it had been scheduled. Not that it took the shine off a wonderful day.

We've met before: (excluding Ryder Cup foursomes and fourballs)

Hot Orange halved with Sean of the Shed (ladder) - HO's teeth-grinder, having been dormice 2 up

ad hoc halved with irony towers (ladder)

Sits beat pebblethefish 2 & 1 (ladder)

Comment

Thanks a lot IT, and many congratulations!

Comment

And pebblethefish I will ease you into the new matches with an utterly inept 6.

Comment

Good morning and good luck, WOM. We haven't played each other yet, which is nice.

Holiday over. Back on the early starts with a 4 to open.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  And pebblethefish I will ease you into the new matches with an utterly inept 6.
                                  Ooh, I'm not used to teeing off second in a round!

A safe 4 gives me an early lead.

Comment

So, Obelisks of Causticity, we meet again. I have managed a birdie 3 on the first
                                    Last edited by ad hoc; 26-09-2022, 05:25.

Comment

caja-dglh a four to begin. Breaking my streak of birdieing on the first hole.

Comment

A cold and damp tee off this morning, and thats the reason I'm giving for my one over par 5 on hole 1 Artificial Hipster

Comment

nmrfox I've got off to a good start with a birdie 3.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair fan birdie 3 for me too. Decent start to this pairing.
                                            Last edited by nmrfox; 26-09-2022, 07:00.

Comment

Seems to be today's theme, a 3 for me, David Agnew.

Comment

A par 4 to get things moving Guy Profumo

Comment

A birdie 3 on the opening game, Hot Orange

Comment

Ahoy San Bernardhinault! Let's have a bit of a match. I've opened proceedings with a 3.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X