County Flag knockout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Flag knockout

I won't be able to start doing this until next week as I'm away for a few days. But we should probably start by deciding on what we mean by county.

The simplest would be to use the 52 flags of historic counties registered with the flag institute. I think that we might also need to have some unofficial ones and also a couple for ceremonial counties, otherwise we'd miss out on the Isle of Wight.

Official list of official historic county flags (missing Leicestershire and Herefordshire) [pdf warning]

The missing Leicestershire and Herefordshire ones

Flag_of_Leicestershire.svg.png
    300px-County_Flag_Of_Herefordshire.svg.png

Comment

Cornwall's probably gets flown more than anyone else's, especially at the border, although you do see the red rose of Lancashire around here in a few places and the occasional nutters' gardens.

Devon's I quite like as a standalone flag, but it's in Gargoyle's colours so would never be adopted by Exeter fans.
      Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-08-2022, 12:49.

Comment

Would of (sic) said the one with the bull = Herefordshire

But the blue wavy line (river?) is throwing me a bit

The fox = Leicestershire, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
          I won't be able to start doing this until next week as I'm away for a few days. But we should probably start by deciding on what we mean by county.

The simplest would be to use the 52 flags of historic counties registered with the flag institute. I think that we might also need to have some unofficial ones and also a couple for ceremonial counties, otherwise we'd miss out on the Isle of Wight.

Official list of official historic county flags (missing Leicestershire and Herefordshire) [pdf warning]
          And if you're doing "ceremonial" Yorkshire needs to be "chopped" into Ridings?

Ditto Sussex into East and West?

Comment

Well my thought would be to double up if there was some conflict. Having had a quick look, it doesn't appear that many of the split ceremonial counties have their own flags.

Comment

I will be boycotting this due to my strong aversion to historical counties and associated ceremonial shite, but that Sutherland flag is the absolute business

Comment

I can't stop laughing at Merioneth's "tragic explosion in the goat factory" flag

Comment

Originally posted by Gregario View Post
                  Well my thought would be to double up if there was some conflict. Having had a quick look, it doesn't appear that many of the split ceremonial counties have their own flags.
                  Retro-created (in 2013?) to fit a view they should have pre-existed?

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                    I will be boycotting this due to my strong aversion to historical counties and associated ceremonial shite, but that Sutherland flag is the absolute business
                    Laser warning notice from Dark Star, isn't it?

Comment

The Cumberland one is used in places, although there is a "rival" one which is basically the Cornwall flag but with dark blue instead of black, which seems to be popular as a car sticker.

(Oh, and Beauty School Dropout earworm now).

Comment

I didn't know Staffs was Breze country.

Comment

Merioneth and Berkshire* get my votes for originality. Shetland is the most disappointing**

*I get the relevance of the oak tree, but why is splintered and left with a single branch? That surely must mean something. Is it symbolic of Reading's ongoing failures on the football pitch?

** I mean c'mon! The best you can do is come up with same flag as Finland in reverse.
                          Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 17-08-2022, 21:26.

Comment

Happy to keep as non-historical given that it is younger than me, but I've always liked the Charlie Brown like stylings of the West Midlands flag.

If one was designed now it would probably have baker boy caps on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                              Merioneth and Berkshire* get my votes for originality. Shetland is the most disappointing**

*I get the relevance of the oak tree, but why is splintered and left with a single branch? That surely must mean something. Is it symbolic of Reading's ongoing failures on the football pitch?
                              Ref! Ref! That’s out of order.

Comment

I would have to give my vote to Devon, an attractive flag even if it’s most likely a retro-creation. But my choice is a sentimental one as it’s St. Petroc’s flag. My Mum and stepdad retired to the village of Petrockstowe in Devon, where in time Mum ran the church choir at St. Petroc’s. Who sang at her funeral.

Comment

Working...
                                X